Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MaNtEQuiLLA/K-SQUADD ALL MotoR Ep3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    Huh? You got it all wrong BTW. BBKs make NO difference at high speeds. Where they make the difference is in repeated braking.
    Oh really my fault i didnt know I thought they were needed if your making more than your stock braking system can handle.......

Quote Originally Posted by ALL MotoR Ep3 View Post
    Oh really my fault i didnt know I thought they were needed if your making more than your stock braking system can handle.......
    Big brake kits do a couple of useful things... and a couple of kinda sorta useful things.

there #1 job, above all else is to simply reduce brake operating temps. And by doing so they allow you to run the brakes harder Longer. What this means to you is that with out a larger rotor given One set of street compound pads... Said pad may only let you do one or two 100-0 stops before they start to fade, where as with a larger rotor you may get 3-4+ stops before they fade. Granted you could just buy a higher temp pad and keep the smaller rotors and get those 3-4+ stops. But then the BBK would allow you to run more street friendly compounds and run them just as hard. Better or worse is your decision.

Ultimatly the "BEST" brakes for your car are the ones that are as small as possible that give you Adequate heat control, with a reasonable pad compound for your application.

For example, you may be able to get every bit of the heat resistance out of a set of Hawk BLUES & OEM Rotors/calipers Vs a BBK + HAWK HPS.... but I wouldn't want to run BLUES on the street.

So the question to you regarding the need of a BBK would be.... have you experienced brake fade? and what pad compound were you using?

EDIT: For the record, Everything between your wheels back to the brake pedal deal with two things. 1. Brake "feel" and 2. Heat control.

Stopping power is the sole domain of your tires....

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    Big brake kits do a couple of useful things... and a couple of kinda sorta useful things.

there #1 job, above all else is to simply reduce brake operating temps. And by doing so they allow you to run the brakes harder Longer. What this means to you is that with out a larger rotor given One set of street compound pads... Said pad may only let you do one or two 100-0 stops before they start to fade, where as with a larger rotor you may get 3-4+ stops before they fade. Granted you could just buy a higher temp pad and keep the smaller rotors and get those 3-4+ stops. But then the BBK would allow you to run more street friendly compounds and run them just as hard. Better or worse is your decision.

Ultimatly the "BEST" brakes for your car are the ones that are as small as possible that give you Adequate heat control, with a reasonable pad compound for your application.

For example, you may be able to get every bit of the heat resistance out of a set of Hawk BLUES & OEM Rotors/calipers Vs a BBK + HAWK HPS.... but I wouldn't want to run BLUES on the street.

So the question to you regarding the need of a BBK would be.... have you experienced brake fade? and what pad compound were you using?

EDIT: For the record, Everything between your wheels back to the brake pedal deal with two things. 1. Brake "feel" and 2. Heat control.

Stopping power is the sole domain of your tires....
    You forgot to add, they do look cool too.

ephatch member
    i have wilwood BBK and replacement pads were $50 CDN but the cross drill slotted rotors were $150 cdn each

Quote Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
    Hawk hp+ with the spash shields removed in the front.....brakes are great.
    I was thinking of ditching the dust shields myself the next time I get my wheels off...

Any negative effects that you can think of or have experienced? My Bobcats throw out a good amount of dust already, but other than that, I wouldn't know what else to watch for.

Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
    I was thinking of ditching the dust shields myself the next time I get my wheels off...

Any negative effects that you can think of or have experienced? My Bobcats throw out a good amount of dust already, but other than that, I wouldn't know what else to watch for.

Thanks!
    I think there is less dust with the shields off. If you blew a axil and coated your brakes with cv grease there might be a problem but aside from that, none that I can think of.

the wilwood kit from summit is front only

Quote Originally Posted by 02nhbpep3 View Post
    the wilwood kit from summit is front only
    Every BBK out there for the EP is front only. You don't need to upgrade the rear brakes.

I would love to get the brembos but my rear rotors wouldnt match the slotted front ones. And their too expensive so thats why its dumb. I dont think you can get 4 slotted rotors for the EP that isnt powerslot.

yah i wouldnt do that princess...you should just do the type s brake swap, its hte same brake setup that was designed for the ep3type r...

its wonderful with ss lines and good rotors and pads...it wont cost you as much either, and its oem and wont cause headaches for you
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by VividSI View Post
    I would love to get the brembos but my rear rotors wouldnt match the slotted front ones. And their too expensive so thats why its dumb. I dont think you can get 4 slotted rotors for the EP that isnt powerslot.
    you can get slotted rear brembo rotors to match the fronts...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

How about the powerslot big brake kit?

better brake pads and upgraded brake lines

complete type s brake setup and spoon calipers are good enough for me.

The cehaper Wilwood kit is without dust sheild and is meant for race use (ie very frequent rebuilds)..

The dust sheilds are like a 200 add on.

www.fastbrakes.com has a bunch of oem upgrades and modded kits for our cars including 11" rear rotor upgrade and full willwood kits.

great package price deals for F+R..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information