Close

Thread: JRRSC Belt help

JRRSC Belt help

I'm running a 4" pully and was wondering how many threads should be showing on the tensioner bolt, when installing a brand new belt. how tight should the you screw the pulley bolt? when checking the belt you use a 19mm wrench and turn the actual sc counterclock wise to see if the belt is installed correctly right? any input you have is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Banned
    MMMmmm, Not a easy one....the thread count on the bolt is not a good way to gauge belt tension imo. I reach down and test belt deflection from the tensionor pulley to the crank pulley(under the motor mount). If it more than a 1/4 inch, time to tighten the belt. After you get the tension right, remember to get at least 50ft lbs on the 17mm pulley bolt.....or it will come off.

Ok cool. Is there a tool that is used to test belt tension? i'll have to make sure the pulley bolt is ok too, is it possible to over tighten the pulley bolt?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by si4life View Post
    Ok cool. Is there a tool that is used to test belt tension? i'll have to make sure the pulley bolt is ok too, is it possible to over tighten the pulley bolt?
    Its a grade 10.8, Its tough.....I have a 1 foot long 17mm wrench that I just lean on( I am not a small guy) and I have not had a issue.

Dude, you really don't need that tool. I did mine by using a 20in screwdriver and it never came off/loose. Just feel the tension of the belt as you're tightening it.
    Last edited by ep3er; 04-28-2008 at 12:29 PM.

sweet thanks for the help guys.

Yeah, same as above. Torque figure from JR instructions is for belt tension, NOT idler pulley adjustment bolt torque. (The head will shear off)
    As for the main pulley bolt, it needs to be secure, no need to really kill it but it should be tight.
    The tension test with finger deflection Mustclime said was a good substitute for not have the belt tension special tool.
    Not sure what you mean about wrenching the SC counterclockwise but it has a regular nut on the pulley so it would loosen if applying too much torque there.
    As long as the belt is on and routed correctly, you're ok.

I have like 3/4" of threads showing on mine but it'll vary from person to person.
    How to properly use Apostrophes
    The rev limiter is not meant to be used as a shift light

All good info mentioned. I tighten my 17mm bolt holding the tensioner pulley to the assembly with a standard closed end wrench. I ensure it is tight, but I wouldn't say it is 50 lb/ft tight. Remember there are bearings inside of that pulley, so you do not want to crush them or bear down to tightly. The trick you mention about rotating the blower pulley is to make sure the belt is aligned before you start the engine and shred the belt. If you do want to try this, rotate it clockwise so you do not loosen the bolt like JJ said. I do not use that technique anymore because you can pretty much tell by looking if the belt is aligned in all the ribs. Best of luck

cool thanks again guys. =)

hey guys any suggestions to fix a squeaky supercharger belt? does that mean the belt is too tight or loose?

Quote Originally Posted by si4life View Post
    hey guys any suggestions to fix a squeaky supercharger belt? does that mean the belt is too tight or loose?
    Advanced auto parts (or pep boys)

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=369967
    Last edited by jimmyjames; 05-02-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: not available at autozone
    How to properly use Apostrophes
    The rev limiter is not meant to be used as a shift light

If it is squeaking it is most likely too loose. A loose belt also means that you are not making full boost and potentially maximum power. That spray lube suggested by JJ is a temporary fix for a permanent problem. The belt will only get worse as it stretches from normal use.

Thread Information