Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! performance issue

I have a really strange issue and i hope someone can help me out. My car runs very different with the AC compressor on. Starting in first gear it chugs and the rest seem sluggish. I'm not very familiar with the engine so I have no idea why this would happen.

Thanks,
    -SocalSX

MaNtEQuiLLA/K-SQUADD ALL MotoR Ep3's Avatar
    yea because you ac belt is running so when your ac is on its putting more strain on your so i dont recommend you try speeding but instead just cruise and drive normal when the AC is on.

Be glad you don't have a weaker motor. With the ac on it'll seem like you are going no where. Speeding with the ac on you can bet you're going to pay more at the pump.

MaNtEQuiLLA/K-SQUADD ALL MotoR Ep3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClouD View Post
    Be glad you don't have a weaker motor. With the ac on it'll seem like you are going no where. Speeding with the ac on you can bet you're going to pay more at the pump.
    YessssiR.....lol and with gas prices increasing like the way they are...i would be trying to save as much gas as I can as possible.

I noticed that the motor would hit a little flat spot around 3k when I had the A/C on w/ my A3.

^ are all right. The A/C compressor saps a lot of power. I think in the neighborhood of about 30 hp or so. So if you want power and/or good mileage, use the A/C sparingly.

One cool duck, with a hat Heitzke's Avatar
    No kidding. It's a shame when your slow car becomes even slower when you run the A/C.

I've been wondering, not to hijack the thread or anything, but will a lightweight pulley set help with the A/C power loss?

Or are you just screwed every time you turn that dial?

really? Just kind of odd that I had never noticed it before. Good to know nothing is wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini si View Post
    I've been wondering, not to hijack the thread or anything, but will a lightweight pulley set help with the A/C power loss?

The lightweight pulley will help.............but will not compensate for the power sap of the mighty ac.

Banned
    I'm a sissy little girl that wears pink underpants. Yippee!!
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 04-29-2008 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiR R8TD View Post
    I noticed that the motor would hit a little flat spot around 3k when I had the A/C on w/ my A3.
    My entire a3 is one big flat spot with and without a/c.

Quote Originally Posted by EPwack View Post
    fuck ephatch, club ep3 FTMFW
    again. leave.

yeah pretty much if the a/c is on the car will run a little more sluggish. if it is excessive like the car is stalling out or massive lost of power then would worry about it. same thing if you have belt driven power steering. if you while the car is running turn the wheel, the car slugs alittle. (doesnt apply to us because we have electronic power steering)

Quote Originally Posted by Riv Civ View Post
    ^ are all right. The A/C compressor saps a lot of power. I think in the neighborhood of about 30 hp or so. So if you want power and/or good mileage, use the A/C sparingly.
    i thought the AC on the K20 had a slipper clutch so that when there was engine load it would disengage so you can accelerate? i never noticed a difference when i still had mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini si View Post

If you want your engine to last awhile, then NEVER use an un-balanced crank pulley. You can use a smaller typeS or R crank pulley(they are smaller) to drive everything a little slower.

The slipper function of the A/C compressors clutch is usually the first thing to fail. It doesnt function properly on my "Bitch" either, so I just flick it on and off manually when I need that extra whp.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information