Close

Custom engine cover idea

For all those who live in cali, they'll understand the need for this... but to anyone's knowledge, does anyone know of a engine cover that would help conceal aftermarket parts? I got the idea when looking in the engine bay of the new BMWs and was wondering if there was a cover that someone could fabricate to cover up most of the engine bay and be easily removed for engine work.

i know what you are talking about but it seems like the way the engine bay is it probably wont work cuz the engine sits up too high and would not leave enough space fro the covers. on my 2005 tacoma the engine sits low so therefore it allowed alot of space for it.

Kind of like the idea I just do not know how you could make it look OEM though and not look like you are hidding something. I know what you mean by the BMW thing though. My mother has one and you have to pull a lot of covers off to work on something simple.

get out the fiberglass and make some parts that fit to cover anything you need. I feel sorry for ya Cali guys with the carb law stuff.

idea seems cool but mite have some problems clearing the hood and the engine valve cover does sit really high

hmmm well i wouldn't see why we would need to fit over the valve cover... I was thinking more along the lines of sort of expanding the IM cover to cover that wide gap where the stock airbox used to be. The easiest way to make it look stock i was thinking is to have it have a flat black look or even a molded setup to make it look like a stock airbox is present.

For the most part cops just pop the hood and point at things without knowledge of what they are looking at. For example when i was pulled over with my turbo he pointed at my BOV and asked what was that, and i said it was the horn. Then he pointed to an Air filter, and i told him it was an airfilter He asked if I had a carb for it. I said no. In return he slapped me with ref ticket because of "illegal smog equipment".

Quote Originally Posted by blksi
    I feel sorry for ya Cali guys with the carb law stuff.
    Yeah CARB kills...need to stop eating too much rice.

"it was the horn" LOL!!!

I don't care too much about the engine being covered just as long as it doesn't overheat in this 110 degree weather.

I thought car manufactures did that so it looked nice to the rich people the buy them.

the mazda 3's have engine covers, pain in the butt to get off...

Thread Information