Close

brake pads don't fit?

Has anyone had a problem with brake pads being too thick? I was installing a pair on the front right caliper and they wouldn't spread enough to fit the rotor.
    everything was lined up right and the piston was as far back as it would go- flush with he metal. I even tried installing them without the shims and the still don't fit. defective pads? were they counting on me buying they thinner rotors? what a pita!

ephatch member
    Hmm it's possible but a very rare occasion. Try putting a lugnut on to hold the rotor from flopping around, then put the caliper on. If you really wanna make sure then pull the other side off and compare the thickness side to side. They should be identical.

EX-FULLRACE EP3
    I had that problem as well with my 04. I bought pads that obviously werent lining up, and when I went to the parts guy he told me that the part # was the same for all years. So I ended up getting pads for a Base RSX and they worked perfectly.

The pads fit into the calipers just fine. They're the right size and everything they or the rotors are just too thick. I was considering slotted rotors anyway. If I can find some thinner than my stock brakes, I'll pick them up

02-03 and 04-05 are different in length and the position of the squealler....but i never heard of them bein too thick.....

What brand did you get? Just go/w oem equip. can never go wrong

thats weird i was gonna say is the piston all the way back but i guess tahts not the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Standard Issue View Post
    The pads fit into the calipers just fine. They're the right size and everything they or the rotors are just too thick. I was considering slotted rotors anyway. If I can find some thinner than my stock brakes, I'll pick them up
    Umm, I doubt that slotted rotors are going to be any thinner lolz! but let us know if you happen to have bought the wrong pads, etc.

What is the brand/model # of pads that you got? That would help a bit more...

The service manual has for the rotors: "standard or new"= .830in "service limit"= .750in for the pads: "standard or new"= .390in "service limit"= .060in

give them a measure, brand and part number would be great too.

Hmm, I've done tons of brake jobs on various rides and never seen that problem. Make sure the piston is fully seated using a c-clamp and small block of wood - else it wont fit over the rotor. Last pads I replaced on my brothers 05 SI were Raybestos part #PGD621C (PG-D621C) - cost 34.79 from RockAuto. Rotors were Raybestos part #980059 @ 44.79 each.

Quote Originally Posted by SICaudio View Post
    Hmm, I've done tons of brake jobs on various rides and never seen that problem. Make sure the piston is fully seated using a c-clamp and small block of wood - else it wont fit over the rotor. Last pads I replaced on my brothers 05 SI were Raybestos part #PGD621C (PG-D621C) - cost 34.79 from RockAuto. Rotors were Raybestos part #980059 @ 44.79 each.
    Speaking of brakes.....STOPTECH for the win!!!!!

Thanks for all your great replies, guys. Turns out I was sent the wrong pads. The new pads were sent at no extra charge and everything is cool!

ephatch member
    dude im totally in the same boat. Except for me its top to bottom size. I tried two separate types of brake pads that were recommended by pep boys, and neither fit. Looking at them from the side, the pads were just too tall and would not fit into the caliper.

Can someone be a real gent, and post a few preformance street pads that are known to fit the ep (i have an 04-05, so idk if there is a difference)

Thread Information