Close

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    no sticky, but it has been revised to a DIY thread and located as such.
    All DIYs are sticky-worthy; thus why there is a sub-forum devoted to it.
    How to properly use Apostrophes
    The rev limiter is not meant to be used as a shift light

www.the12volt.com has a TON of info and great how to's.

They cover relays, diodes, alarm wiring, ohms, etc. All of them have diagrams and pics as well.

An excellent site for beginners.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Nice write up.
    Mel

Quote Originally Posted by K-Shark View Post
    the electrical/sound guru speaks! :humble:

great write up and needs to be stickied fo sho.

and damn i'm jockin your garage and car selection! all you need is a black ek9...
    Dunno man, Vega's a pretty bad MoFo when it comes to this stuff too! I was just on the outside looking in and the pessimist in me thinks "what's the worst that could happen"

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    It's easy on the eyes unlike ricertastic blue ;)
    Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Point taken.
    I wasn't trying to be rude

Blue is really rough on night vision, our eyes don't deal with that end of the spectrum too well, that's why some find them to look so cool, also note what going even farther into that end of the spectrum does (blacklight) It distorts our vision to the point of misconception of hue. Because of this, pure blue at night is bad for retaining vision, people who have fished at night with a blacklight know well that you have to shut that light off for a bit before casting because you gotta let your eyes get their shit together.

Note that red lighting is used for night vision preservation (other end of the spectrum) Green presents no issues for vision but still appears bright and legible hence why it was and still is a popular backlighting color. Red CAN blur at night.

Question for you Chad.

Since they are LED's, which are diodes themselves, would'nt it be "impossible" for the current to flow "back" towards the multiplex unit?

I'm not trying to be rude, just thinking out loud.

What's your input on this?

(a fuse definitly wouldn't hurt!)

(and thanks for the compliment!)

some people think it looks rice but I think it looks pretty damn cool and makes the car look unique.

I has a spare ebay fog light switch, is there a way to route the light to that wire to where it does the door thing and illuminate on command?

edit:
    also, like, how did you construct that LED thingamobober? Like just little green LED bulbs and this stuff you call "plexi"? lol
    Last edited by Danman281; 04-30-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: another q for tha genius ova huurrr

Quote Originally Posted by VegaS10 View Post
    Question for you Chad.

Since they are LED's, which are diodes themselves, would'nt it be "impossible" for the current to flow "back" towards the multiplex unit?

I'm not trying to be rude, just thinking out loud.

What's your input on this?

(a fuse definitly wouldn't hurt!)

(and thanks for the compliment!)
    Oh absolutely and IF you changed your interior lighting to LED like many do it would be a fraction of the pull-down load, remember it's designed to pull down incandesent lighting, and pull it down fast on turn on including inrush load but if that lil booger shorts to ground in a weird failure it's better safe than sorry. (I'm thinking pinched wire, someone uses loose balck tape, you know... Better to CYA sometimes.

i like this idea of jdm footlight .. but as i read your diy, im not too sure of where you get the power source from??

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I wasn't trying to be rude

Blue is really rough on night vision, our eyes don't deal with that end of the spectrum too well, that's why some find them to look so cool, also note what going even farther into that end of the spectrum does (blacklight) It distorts our vision to the point of misconception of hue. Because of this, pure blue at night is bad for retaining vision, people who have fished at night with a blacklight know well that you have to shut that light off for a bit before casting because you gotta let your eyes get their shit together.

Note that red lighting is used for night vision preservation (other end of the spectrum) Green presents no issues for vision but still appears bright and legible hence why it was and still is a popular backlighting color. Red CAN blur at night.
    hmmm cops use those colors

ephatch member
    great post! people like you contributing good info to ephatch will bring it back to its 2008 glory! Also i'm gonna try this.

I think it looks great....

Quote Originally Posted by Siborg View Post
    hmmm cops use those colors
    Red AND blue, opposite ends of the spectrum, they get your attention quick, like the siren that's centered right in the most sensitive range of human hearing You will never really see them use a blue light in a squad car though and never a moto radio with a blue display, red and green all the way.

Ever play with 3D glasses for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Danman281 View Post
    I has a spare ebay fog light switch, is there a way to route the light to that wire to where it does the door thing and illuminate on command?

That's the pisser, at the dome lamp, when the doors are closed the lamp has +12V and +12V at the termnals equalling a net voltage of 0V When the door is open the multiplexer pulls the switched one DOWN TO 0V equalling a net voltage of 12V, when it is closed again it slowly puls it back up to 12V turning the lamp off slowly. In order to do a on demand switch you first need to break the multiplexor input and ground the lamp side, IT HAS TO BE A BREAK BEFORE MAKE SWITCH to avoid damage to the multiplexer. Copying the design of 1/2 of the dome light switch will get you there but I'd sure try it on the bench first.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information