Close

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    very cool....looks great. mite have to add one in the future...prolly not green tho =/

where do you buy all these connectors at? Radio shack loves to rape their customers

I'm an installer for a living. We have tons of odd connectors and stuff lying around...

Quote Originally Posted by VegaS10 View Post
    It really is clearly written out. Is there something specific you don't get?

Maybe I should have taken pics of the construction/wiring of the LEDs.

They are merely (sp?) series/paralleled together with no resistors.
    I read that resistors should be used for this however its not required. your set up is nice and simple. But should EP hatcher's use resistors?

Also, is this a series wiring or parallel?

Think of each LED as 2 volts. It will take 6 of them to equal 12 volts. So, I wired 6 of them in series. I'm sure this isn't the "proper" formula, but it's what I've used, and it's worked fine.

On an LED there is a "long" leg and a "short" leg. The long leg is positive and the short leg is negative.

I REALLY wish I knew how to use MS paint or something. It would make this so much simpler...lol.

I've had mine in for about 6-8 weeks now with no issues. Keep in mind, they are only on for less than 3 minutes a day (at the most in my car, maybe less).

bump for jdm lighting Nice DIY

Think of each LED as 2 volts. It will take 6 of them to equal 12 volts. So, I wired 6 of them in series. I'm sure this isn't the "proper" formula, but it's what I've used, and it's worked fine.

On an LED there is a "long" leg and a "short" leg. The long leg is positive and the short leg is negative.

I REALLY wish I knew how to use MS paint or something. It would make this so much simpler...lol.

I've had mine in for about 6-8 weeks now with no issues. Keep in mind, they are only on for less than 3 minutes a day (at the most in my car, maybe less).
    Does it matter if there are 12 LED's in total though?

Lets say each LED voltage consumption is 2.2 (standard green) Volts for a 12 Volt Battery. 6 LED would be already 13.2. With 12 LED it would be 26.4 Volts. That is, if they are both running from same line on a series circuit.

Theoretically it should be this right?

EDIT!!!
    don't follow this medthod... just keep reading on. In short though, just buy the LED modules that are prebuilt. more viewing angle... less mess, etc
    Last edited by Danman281; 05-18-2008 at 12:39 PM.

I know this sounds REALLY bad of me, but I've never used resistors with these LEDs.

We've always used them in large quantities. My friends have done sportbikes, ATVs, boats and other projects with roughly 30-40 LEDs, and never used a resistor. So, I picked up on this and I have'nt either.

I'm sure Chad will chime in and give you some good advice. I reccomend using a small 12 volt battery OUTSIDE the car for testing to make sure you have the voltage correct.

The diagram you've made is really great. I'm just unsure of the value or resistance of the resistors.

I know this sounds REALLY bad of me, but I've never used resistors with these LEDs.

We've always used them in large quantities. My friends have done sportbikes, ATVs, boats and other projects with roughly 30-40 LEDs, and never used a resistor. So, I picked up on this and I have'nt either.

I'm sure Chad will chime in and give you some good advice. I reccomend using a small 12 volt battery OUTSIDE the car for testing to make sure you have the voltage correct.

The diagram you've made is really great. I'm just unsure of the value or resistance of the resistors.
    coming from a guy who's been doing this for a long time, thanks
    Last edited by Danman281; 05-03-2008 at 09:30 PM.

I just finished this mod, wiring the ground wire was a bitch. It looks pretty good. I had this done already but I wired my lights to a switch that would turn the lights on, but this way is much better. I used some old 168/194 sockets and attached them underneath those plastic trays. I figured this way I can change the color bulbs easily. Thanks for the write up. BTW your Eg is insanely SICK , next time I'm in Vegas you better hide that thingJust Kidding

looks tight. i dont have the guts to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by lostep3 View Post
    I just finished this mod, wiring the ground wire was a bitch. It looks pretty good. I had this done already but I wired my lights to a switch that would turn the lights on, but this way is much better. I used some old 168/194 sockets and attached them underneath those plastic trays. I figured this way I can change the color bulbs easily. Thanks for the write up. BTW your Eg is insanely SICK , next time I'm in Vegas you better hide that thingJust Kidding

Pics man....pics!!!

Thanks for the eg comment, although I'm not in vegas, I'm in NC.

Pics man....pics!!!

Thanks for the eg comment, although I'm not in vegas, I'm in NC.
    I will try and get some pics tonight. I'm aren't as bright as yours, because of the bulbs I'm using. I just ordered some brighter 168 bulbs where all the leds are pointing down so this make the floor more lit up. Once again I love your Eg, very tasteful mods, one of the cleanest Ive seen.
    Last edited by lostep3; 05-06-2008 at 08:49 AM.

I got alot of snide comments from some of the other forums I posted this on, mainly due tot he green color. At first, I thought it was ricey and I considered yanking it out.

But.................

I just put in my red recaro's the other day. When you see what the green looks like with the red seats, you'll understand why Honda went "green" with the lights.

I'll post some night shots tonight. I don't think ANYONE will be disappointed.

Nice, I may be trying this. I wanna see the green on red shots. I was thinking about going with red LEDs, but I'll be doing a DIY interior in the coming weeks (red carpet, door inserts, and replacing the grey mesh with red on the seats) and if green on red looks good enough, I may just do green now.

edit: where can I get the "quick disconnect" connectors from? are there any local places I can go, or would I have to search online?
    Last edited by epshtielsl; 05-06-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information