Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Engine runs terrible fouling plugs ( HELP )

Ok so I start the car and the whole car is shaking and it's blowing gray smoke out the muffler at idle and smells like fuel. It felt like it was running a cylinder shy so I pull the plugs. #1 is black and fouled and the rest seem fine. I replace the plugs and upload the base kal for the greddy with 440's ( what I Have ) and run the engine for 30 seconds. Same problem so I pull the new plugs and #1 is fouled and black. #2 looks clean as a whistle #3 & #4 look fine. So I do a compression test,

#1 150
    #2 150
    #3 150
    #4 175

I'm pretty confused right now as to why the car is running like this, any ideas?

I'm guessing it's a valve but I'm not sure on how one would know. I guess time to throw the k24 in.

switch the coilpacks on #1 and #2, run the car for a little then check your plugs again.

Those numbers look low. But I would look at a dirty stuck open injector on #1. Swap the injector with another and see if the problem moves with it.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Cool I'll give that a try.

#1 plug fouled up within 30 seconds, car shakes seems like somethings up with that one. Crap.....

check the DIY on valve adjustment
    it could be the valve lashing on cylinder one.
    Do you have any codes? cylinder 1 misfire im assuming.
    If the valve is too shut on the intake stroke you wont get enough air to ignite the fuel and then on the second intake stroke you'll burn so rich that you'll foul your plugs..
    When the cylinder 1 coil pack is unplugged does it run any different than when it is plugged in?
    my logic being that (atleast with a plug thats not fouled yet) you're igniting every other otto cycle, so with the spark plug out you wouldnt ignite any and the idle would get choppier or smoother, im not sure which.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Those numbers look low. But I would look at a dirty stuck open injector on #1. Swap the injector with another and see if the problem moves with it.
    Yeah thats what I thought, I had 750's in there so I swapped those with the 440's and loaded the base kal. Then I replaced the plugs, still same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    check the DIY on valve adjustment
    it could be the valve lashing on cylinder one.
    Do you have any codes? cylinder 1 misfire im assuming.
    If the valve is too shut on the intake stroke you wont get enough air to ignite the fuel and then on the second intake stroke you'll burn so rich that you'll foul your plugs..
    When the cylinder 1 coil pack is unplugged does it run any different than when it is plugged in?
    my logic being that (atleast with a plug thats not fouled yet) you're igniting every other otto cycle, so with the spark plug out you wouldnt ignite any and the idle would get choppier or smoother, im not sure which.
    Yeah I'll pop the cover off and check the valve lashing, I'm not getting any codes but it sure runs like it's not firing correctly.

do you have feeler gauges?
    if you do, check your intake valves are in spec. (i believe its .09-0.11, but you should check a more reliable source) If it is in spec then check the exhaust valves, although it is less likely that exhaust gasses being trapped in the cylinder would cause this it is still possible.

edit: since your compression was awfully low, atleast that seems low to me, i have 210-220 on all cylinders, i would think this could be happening on all cylinders, weird that its just that one. You might have valve seal leaks or something, i donno much about what causes a low compression reading like that.

I've noticed in the past that i've gotten very different readings depending on which tester is used, my compression has always read around this level though. I just noticed my marshall fuel gauge is jumping around alot more than I remember seeing before, is this an indicator of something?

that could indicate alot of things.
    One could be that it pours fuel into the cylinder, it doesnt ignite, so it doesnt pour any fuel into the cylinder, then it ignites on the second cycle, fouls your plug, and then pours more fuel in, repeat repeat repeat. Gotta go eat dinner though, I'll be back to see what you find out in a couple hours

that could indicate alot of things.
    One could be that it pours fuel into the cylinder, it doesnt ignite, so it doesnt pour any fuel into the cylinder, then it ignites on the second cycle, fouls your plug, and then pours more fuel in, repeat repeat repeat. Gotta go eat dinner though, I'll be back to see what you find out in a couple hours
    Well I removed the coilpack and it's just about the same. I think #1 is firing every other or in frequently. When I remove the coilpack the engine runs just about the same. I'm gonna try adjusting my valve lash. I have a k24a1 on a stand at the shop ready to go in. I just didn't think the engine was gonna go this soon. Thanks for the help.

well whatever it is its nothing too serious, at the worst a head gasket so if you have the dilligence and dont want to put the k24 in yet this could be fixed for sure. Its most likely the valve lash though.
    When the motor is running with the oil cap off do you have blow by?

well whatever it is its nothing too serious, at the worst a head gasket so if you have the dilligence and dont want to put the k24 in yet this could be fixed for sure. Its most likely the valve lash though.
    When the motor is running with the oil cap off do you have blow by?
    Ok, well I tried the valve lash and everything was pretty close but I adjusted everything to spec. I started the engine and it runs just as terrible, with the cap off I get air flying out pretty good. Like a blow dryer pretty much, I never noticed so much air before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information