Close

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by epshtielsl View Post
    I thought even the genuine Mugen lip was made of fiberglass ? If so you are hardly paying for quality. All you are paying for is the name. Quality would be something urethane like the HFP lips.
    Mugen parts are made of polypropene, which is a good, sturdy plastic.

and it fits like oem.

I thought even the genuine Mugen lip was made of fiberglass ? If so you are hardly paying for quality. All you are paying for is the name. Quality would be something urethane like the HFP lips.
    nope nope, though if they did glass or carbon theyd prolly use race proven methods...there are good and bad ways to do composites...just cuz its glass or carbon doesnt make it cheap, its all in how its done...

ive seen race glass done so well (for instance the old mugen crx kits for the 1g that hausmanautosports makes replicas of from original molds) that you could hit them with a hammer and nothing would happen, and then ive seen glass that was sooo poorly done that it had no material memory and if it flexed at all the fibers would have become brittle because of the resin and how it cured, so it would just break or wouldnt return to form (lack of memory)...

for instance with carbon, proper heat curing and vacuum bagging is critical, and can be done poorly or properly...it also depends on the resin, cheap resin will delaminate, expensive resin will be aerospace resin, and will do unimagineable things when compared to cheap shit...the good aero resin can support loads of 300lbs without material failure on a simple single layer of carbon (ive done the tests with a strength gauge and a vacuum bagged wing cross section sample)...as more layers of carbon are added the strength curve goes up exponentially, as well as the memory and strength increases as heat curing is added and increased, as the heat is then increased the memory and strength increases exponentially , though the inverse curve of the flexibility of the carbon will then go down...so its stronger and stiffer and less susseptable to failure, but it is less flexible...

so as you can see, composites are complicated and can be the best thing, or the worst thing...resin is very very expensive and is usually the reason for cheap work...the carbon and glass you get from most of these aftermarket companies is cheap crap and is usually a molded plastic undershell with carbon wrapped around it...when they sell you a carbon hood for 300 bucks your getting a piece of shit, plain and simple, when you start paying 600 bucks for it, then you are getting somewhere...you get what you pay for with composites...exactly why i have none on my car...id only trust a few hand fabricators i know personally and id trust companies like mugen...thats it

Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    No idea dude.

Every post (s)he makes rambles about nothing like a drunk atheist.
    at first i thought that said drunk slut and i was thinking of some blond jersey girl dancing on a table screaming like a retarded lunatic with one eye pointing in a completely different direction than the other...but then again, thats just what came to mind...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Paint match the top half and leave the bottom Carbon Fibre, that would definitely be different!.. hmm that has me thinking

Good to know, thanks Baron. But $700+ for a lip, genuine Mugen or not, is crazy. Lots of people run replica parts and have no complaints. I had the CF replica Mugen hood and wing and they fit like a dream and looked great (although they were Seibon not ViS).

Quote Originally Posted by d-unit View Post
    Paint match the top half and leave the bottom Carbon Fibre, that would definitely be different!.. hmm that has me thinking
    yeap my point excatly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    No idea dude.

Every post (s)he makes rambles about nothing like a drunk atheist.
    Last edited by KrypTOniTE; 05-02-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Good to know, thanks Baron. But $700+ for a lip, genuine Mugen or not, is crazy. Lots of people run replica parts and have no complaints. I had the CF replica Mugen hood and wing and they fit like a dream and looked great (although they were Seibon not ViS).
    oh yah its a lot of cash not debating that...see seibon is one of the companies i would count as good carbon, from what ive seen they use proper methods, though ive never heard anything for the durability......vis is cheap IMO...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Yeah, my friend had a ViS hood and it looked kinda cheap. Definitely differnt from my hood. I wonder if Seibon could start making these. If I'm gonna drop about $500 on a lip, I'd rather spend the extra $200 and get a quality part then pay for some cheapo replica. Although I would not mind if Seibon started to make these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    oh yah its a lot of cash not debating that...see seibon is one of the companies i would count as good carbon, from what ive seen they use proper methods, though ive never heard anything for the durability......vis is cheap IMO...
    ive compared Sebion's wing material and vis... ...notting really different about it... fiberglass and carbon material.... the plastic coat... looks the same..
    but honestly.... if i would paint it fully would you notice the difference to the
    real mugen and the CF... ppl prob be asking if it reall or not.... but your right baron.... you get what you pay for it... better quality and name... but agian its just a stock mugen part...

Yeah, my friend had a ViS hood and it looked kinda cheap. Definitely differnt from my hood. I wonder if Seibon could start making these. If I'm gonna drop about $500 on a lip, I'd rather spend the extra $200 and get a quality part then pay for some cheapo replica. Although I would not mind if Seibon started to make these as well.
    yea ive seen those vis... hoods they look cheapp.... who knows if vis upgraded there material... Or maybe your friend didnt take care of its clearcoat... its hard to maintain its clearcoat

Quote Originally Posted by KrypTOniTE View Post
    ive compared Sebion's wing material and vis... ...notting really different about it... fiberglass and carbon material.... the plastic coat... looks the same..
    but honestly.... if i would paint it fully would you notice the difference to the
    real mugen and the CF... ppl prob be asking if it reall or not.... but your right baron.... you get what you pay for it... better quality and name... but agian its just a stock mugen part...
    you wouldnt be able to look and compare, the carbon material is going to be the same fucking deal, the only differences visually is how it is bundled and woven and ive never seen anything other than regular old bi-axle glass and carbon on cars, the groups of strands arent even bundled, just woven in groups...and you wont notice the difference in the coating, you give me a bit of cured carbon and a can of duplicolor clear, and ill make it look as good as production shit from vis or seibon, but its the QUALITY of the materials used, in particular the resin....resin is the substrate material used to harden it, when it drys the carbon will look matte, thats what dry carbon is, unclear coated...that "plastic coat" is clear coat, i dunno if anyone gelcoats carbon, but thats another option, but i highly doubt any production company would spend the money on gel-coat...(gel coat is what is used on composite boats to protect teh material from breakdown and help seal seams, its typically heavier and thicker)

now i may be reading your post wrong, but i wasnt reffering to mugen parts being "just stock"...you need to remember mugen is not part of honda, mugen began as a tuning shop outsourcing to smaller fabricators around japan to make race parts and they then used these fabricators to make production parts for sale...mugen was started by the son of soichiro honda because he felt honda was not performance oriented enough...mugen has a tight relationship with honda though thats for sure (this is what ive heard about mugen from my father who worked with kingmotorsports back in the late 80s early 90s, so dont jump on me if i missed the ball on the history, but i trust he isnt completely insane...sometimes...)

...mugen is OEM quality fit finish and performance wise, but i wouldnt call it a "stock" part...
    my ep is white...

Yeah definitely going to be a difference in the build quality and materials between the parts, even if there is little visual difference

ANYWAYS! Enough talk, get that isht installed and lets see the fitment!

Yeah definitely going to be a difference in the build quality and materials between the parts, even if there is little visual difference

ANYWAYS! Enough talk, get that isht installed and lets see the fitment!
    YAH!!! FO SHO!!! haha...im just in a technical mood today...haha thought somoene might like the info...
    my ep is white...

nice pick up!

CF is hawt. dont paint it until it oxidizes or fades or whatever CF does.

hurry up and install that bish!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information