Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    mmm...torque :D
    Quote Originally Posted by 04cvcsi View Post
    so is that thread about rebuilding a 6 speed w/ a tsx 6th gear or adding a tsx 6th to a 5 speed?

is it the same process?
    dont quote me, as all ive done so far is read, but i would assume that the process of rebuilding would be the same as adding:noidea:

I'm still waiting on the trans. parts I ordered to arrive. 5.062 final drive + TSX 6th gear. Can't WAIT. My cruising RPM at 80mph will go down 200rpm. I already get 30+mpg on the freeway. Best I've managed is about 35-36 or so. I bet I could score a couple more MPG with the TSX 6th, even with the 5.0 FD. :p

update

i have only driven the car a little over 350 miles with the new lsd and 6th gear, but the 5-6 sleeve set seem unnecessary--i have had no problems with the transmission thus far :thumb:
    :knock on wood:

here is my parts list--stuff necessary to put that gear in
    24240-PNS-000 PIECE, REVERSE SHIFT 1
    24430-PNS-000 INTERLOCK 1
    24201-RAS-000 FORK, FIFTH-SIXTH GEARSHIFT 1
    23590-RAS-A00 GEAR, MAINSHAFT SIXTH 1
    91103-RAS-003 BEARING, NEEDLE (35X41X24) 1
    23916-PNS-000 COLLAR, DISTANCE (28X35X24) 1
    90011-PPP-000 BOLT, SPECIAL (20X25) 1
    23491-RAS-000 GEAR, COUNTERSHAFT SIXTH 1
    that elementownersclub thread was very helpful, when used hand in hand with the service manual of an rsx s

nice!

it seems that some needed the 5-6 sleeve while others did not.

did you do the work yourself? are you still on the A3?

i did all that work by myself (a hydraulic press courtesy of harbor freight and my credit card helped me out there), and no i am no longer powered by the a3

sorry for all of the quesitons, but i'm just trying to get an idea of the difficulty of this project.

how long did it take you?
    what would you say your wrenching skill level is?

Banned
    It says that our Ep3's and Fa5's have same final drive, but in my 5th gear i got 57 MPH at 3k, while my friends does 66 mph in 6th gear at the same rpm. So If I were to put that sixth gear on.... it definitely would benefit me.

good info......

Quote Originally Posted by powdbyrice View Post
    sorry for all of the quesitons, but i'm just trying to get an idea of the difficulty of this project.

how long did it take you?
    what would you say your wrenching skill level is?
    really sorry for the delay
    it is really hard to say how long it took me due to all the delays i had. id say that you should leave a couple days open--one day to put all that mess together, and another day to put it back int he car. i am by no means a mechanic, but as a mechanical engineer, i figured i was able to understand everything that was going on. in all honesty though it didnt seem like rocket science. the helms manual from the type s, the hondaelementownersclub thread, and the k20.org transmission rebuild thread were all invaluable resources in figuring everything out. an extra set of hands to put all the forks and shafts in line would definitely help
    i have currently logged well over 3000 miles with it all put together with no issues

SWEEEEET!!!

hows the gas mileage looking?

what rpm are you at when going 70mph in 6th (final drive still the same?)?

Quote Originally Posted by powdbyrice View Post
    SWEEEEET!!!

hows the gas mileage looking?

what rpm are you at when going 70mph in 6th (final drive still the same?)?
    gas mileage was pretty sweet. with almost 500 extra pounds sitting in my car for the trip i averaged around 28-30 when i was babying it at 70 in the highway. i was cruising there at around 3k rpms, making casual conversation very easy to deal with :thumb: supposedly every 100 lbs kills about 1 mpg, so without that extra weight i could be averaging 33-35...someone please correct me if i am wrong

It's like a large Lego set except if you mess up your pieces break and you have big problems. Props to whoever does it themselves, I couldn't imagine dealing with that build.

its not as bad as you think. with another set or two of competent hands helping you, and making sure you are somewhat meticulous with what you are doing, its relatively difficult to actually break anything. the only real difficulty i had was taking that speed gear off the open diff to put onto the lsd--that didnt work all too well, and i was better off ordering a new one

Quote Originally Posted by 04cvcsi View Post
    so is that thread about rebuilding a 6 speed w/ a tsx 6th gear or adding a tsx 6th to a 5 speed?

is it the same process?
    havent checked up on this thread in a while..
    But to answer your question, he is rebuiling a 5 speed and i believe he was replacing 1st and 2nd gear synchros or something as well as an LSD and a FD..
    But you would simply have to compare the pictures to what you're looking at and work backwards.
    Start with his last picture and slowly remove untill you get to the part where he adds something that you dont have to remove, then take your parts and put them in like heh as in the pictures and then reverse untill everythings back together. I'm scared of transmissions but i could do it with just the pictures provided i had the right parts.

Quote Originally Posted by lldiesel386ll View Post
    update

i have only driven the car a little over 350 miles with the new lsd and 6th gear, but the 5-6 sleeve set seem unnecessary--i have had no problems with the transmission thus far :thumb:
    :knock on wood:

here is my parts list--stuff necessary to put that gear in
    24240-PNS-000 PIECE, REVERSE SHIFT 1
    24430-PNS-000 INTERLOCK 1
    24201-RAS-000 FORK, FIFTH-SIXTH GEARSHIFT 1
    23590-RAS-A00 GEAR, MAINSHAFT SIXTH 1
    91103-RAS-003 BEARING, NEEDLE (35X41X24) 1
    23916-PNS-000 COLLAR, DISTANCE (28X35X24) 1
    90011-PPP-000 BOLT, SPECIAL (20X25) 1
    23491-RAS-000 GEAR, COUNTERSHAFT SIXTH 1
    that elementownersclub thread was very helpful, when used hand in hand with the service manual of an rsx s
    So what is the final verdict are all these parts really necessary in order to put the tsx 6th gear into the ep3. Do I also need a shifter mechanism from a type-s or is it one of the parts listed above going by a different name

So if Talon Suggested that instead of spending about $440 on a 4.3FD its better to just get a rsx base 5spd that already has the 4.3 FD and add LSD and tsx 6th gear then thats what Im going to do. On second thought I will just buy the 4.3FD cuz it will cost about the same to buy rsx base right?

clubrsx sells a tsx 6th package for $185 which includes
    mainshaft 6th
    countershaft 6th
    needle bearing
    single cone synchro

I thought it was everything needed to do the tsx 6th gear but based on the info here I guess its not complete afterall.
    Last edited by MadLorEP3; 04-16-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information