Close

CEL that has been haunting my boosted setup

alright my ep bredren, i need some help. i'm at wits end right now on an issue, maybe some of you can offer input.

real quick first though. my setup:

stock k20a3
    turbo setup with sc34
    guardian engine management
    precision 65lb injectors

some of you may remember i while back i blew my motor at the track cause it was making too much power for the a3 to handle.

well i kept the head and swapped in a new stock block because money was tight, no worries. well after driving around the new setup, i start to get a cel, p1128/1129, map sensor voltage unexpectantly low/high.

the cel never comes on when idling. only when driving for a few min and getting the car past roughly 3k rpms. the car idles prefectly, boosts fine like always, and otherwise runs just like before.

so i swapped the map sensor. no luck.

i figure, well maybe its a vacuum leak. so i replace the throttle body gasket,
    idle control valve gasket, and clean the icv thoroughly. still, no luck.

i've checked everywhere for vacuum leaks, and at this point it has to be electrical related (ie wiring.) keep in kind i am on the stock map sensor, because guardian scales its readings down for the ecu. i realize guardian is a terrible solution, but its always worked beautifully for me, and held very safe a/f on the dyno.

my next step is to maybe use a voltmeter and check the output off the map sensor wire terminals. other than that, i'm at a loss. the only other thought in my mind, is that maybe the ecu is seeing guardian mess around with the map sensor readings, and is throwing the code because of that. however, before the swap, that was never an issue.

i know this was a little long, but i'm not sure what to do at this point. i'm tired of babying the car around in case its a serious cel. i want to get back into boost on a regular basis. lemme know what you think, thanks guys.

I don't want to point the finger but we have nothing but problems (cels, revcuts, cycling idles) on two of the setups up here running guardian and half of the problems seem to just come and go). Problems we don't have on the kpro setups.
    02 nbp/milano red ep3
    e85 powered
    k24a2 w/ boost
    408 at 10psi
    first and only owner
    jdm ep3r exterior
    woot.

www.corsportusa.com | Only the best.

If its a cel that will cause any harm you will get cut if boosting. Have you checked where its wired? I had a drunk tard get in my car and kick the panel under the ecu and broke my tps wire..instant cel and no boost. All connections but that one were soldered, it has a splice cuz I was 50 miles from home. I would check for goofy connections first.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs02si View Post
    If its a cel that will cause any harm you will get cut if boosting. Have you checked where its wired? I had a drunk tard get in my car and kick the panel under the ecu and broke my tps wire..instant cel and no boost. All connections but that one were soldered, it has a splice cuz I was 50 miles from home. I would check for goofy connections first.
    yea i definitely have checked the wiring several times over. the car goes into boost just fine as well. granted i've only left it on 5lbs...

Hmm..I dunno dude. Like you said you may have to break out to multi meter.

well so far the car is boosting 8lbs ok. no issues as of yet. i'll slowly feel it out back up to 14lbs....

stay tuned for inevitable blown motor #2 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stepintoliquid View Post
    well so far the car is boosting 8lbs ok. no issues as of yet. i'll slowly feel it out back up to 14lbs....

stay tuned for inevitable blown motor #2 thread.
    You could always trade for my 550 inj's..you will NOT go over 310 with guardian lol. Ill even give boot..

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs02si View Post
    You could always trade for my 550 inj's..you will NOT go over 310 with guardian lol. Ill even give boot..
    haha yea its funny, i had originally figured that my 660's would never support power at the a3's breaking point.... not true!

Thread Information