Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Want to get slotted rotors and new pads

From my last post I found out my brakes are just starting to get to the wear strip. So before I do any major damage I want to get everything done. I have a 02 with 53K in the winter salt belt. I would like to auto X some time but I am not doing it right now. I also want to get some 17" rims soon.

I am thinking for a setup I would like to get slotted rotors and from looking the Hawk pads seem to be good. I am not sure if just the good Napa ones would be best. I might try and see if I can cut the rotors but for the age and millage I would so suprised. I am wondering what setup would be good. I searched but most of the info is from 04 and older and I know there is a lot more out there now.

Thanks

just get cross drilled rotors man....slotted leave the pads glazed and pads dont last as long neither....

Quote Originally Posted by siver-SI View Post
    From my last post I found out my brakes are just starting to get to the wear strip. So before I do any major damage I want to get everything done. I have a 02 with 53K in the winter salt belt. I would like to auto X some time but I am not doing it right now. I also want to get some 17" rims soon.

I am thinking for a setup I would like to get slotted rotors and from looking the Hawk pads seem to be good. I am not sure if just the good Napa ones would be best. I might try and see if I can cut the rotors but for the age and millage I would so suprised. I am wondering what setup would be good. I searched but most of the info is from 04 and older and I know there is a lot more out there now.

Thanks
    I just swapped mines with drilled/ slotted on all 4 wheels from irotors.com. I'm happy so far.

Dont get drilled rotors they do nothing and crack.

On my last thread before the EPhatch Crash, I've decided to get the powerslot cyro's with Akebono Street Pads (was going to go with the Hawk pads but i heard they are a bit aggressive and I wanted to try something different from Hawk) & Stoptech SS Brake lines (don't know why I chose these)...I'm still waiting for 1 more rotor...We'll see how that goes...

Others have tested, and many threads are out there to verify, and drilled/slotted rotors do barely anything for you in terms of performance or cooling. You're better off getting cheap blanks from autozone since they will have a larger surface area over drilled and slotted and therefore cool better. Some will say that slotted helps move gasses out but the improvement is neglible.

Unless you're getting a wilwood big brake kit or something along those lines, you're better of spending your money elsewhere. A bigger bosst would be changing out for type s rotors and calipers if you have an 04.

I forogt to ask what is a good singe man brake bleeder tool?

I do not want drilled becuase I remember a lot of posts before the crash that they cracked.

If you are wanting brake pads for auto-x and street use, nothing better than Hawk HP+ pads. HPS are okay, but for auto-x they lack the initial bite that is much needed when racing.

Just get some blank rotors, you won't notice a difference with slotted or drilled. When racing you'll be warping them left and right anyway, so it's best to stick with a cheaper rotor.

Well I am lucky if I will do auto X a few times in a year. I have not done it yet. When reading the reveiws on the HP+ it sounds like they are nosie and high wear and they like heat. I am wondering would the HPS be better for just a daily driver with a lot of low heat braking? I just driver around a small town for the most part and just like to have fun driving now and then.

HPS should suit your needs pretty well! But you should come up and join me at a couple events at Miller Park! There is one tomorrow if you're interested in racing! Not to mention i could possibly give you a spin in my car!

Thanks, I just sent you a PM on the Auto X. I have had itch for racing for a while ever since they closed down the Lake Geneva track. Just will be different being the only one on the track instead of with 20+ other cars. O well qualifing lap.

BTW is there any place up in that area to get the pads? Right now it is a 40min drive to get them by around me.

Two last questions. In rotors they very from $25 to $85 each. Is there a good brand to look out for?
    Also should I do the rears at the same time? I know it is something that does not HAVE to be done but not sure if there would be a bennift.
    Last edited by siver-SI; 05-03-2008 at 08:03 AM.

Most of your braking is done up front, so i wouldn't worry about it. As for rotors, you need to be careful with the cheaper ones. I have found out that most of the cheaper ones aren't even meant for our car. Although they say they are for our model year Civic Si, i bought some and they turned out to be 1/2" in diameter smaller than the stocks.....

Not sure what the cause of this is, but i would just either buy some Powerslot replacements for the front. They are a bit pricey, however still worth spending a little extra than getting ripped off by the dealership. Dealerships have some horrible price gouging going on with OEM rotors. I think they want like $80/rotor....

O yea I do not want to go cheap.

I will take a look at the powerslots. Do you know of a good place to get the rotors and HPS pads at? Looking at right now I am going to have to order this online. Looks like tirerack might be the best bet. $69 a rotor and $58 for the pads. With shipping I am looking at $226.
    Last edited by siver-SI; 05-03-2008 at 08:56 AM.

That's a pretty decent deal! I dealt with the noise and brake dust of HP+ pads! It's not performance if you aren't giving up some streetability!

Well I guess I will to hear what they sound like tomorrow to make up my mind. I might go for the + pads if the sound is not that bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information