Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K20A2 Exhaust

K20A2 Exhaust

I currently have a K20A2 in my car with the stock EP3 exhaust from headers to end of cat, Skunk 2 cat-back exhaust. The pipe that connects the headers to the catalytic converter was rigged so it would fit the current position of the EP3 exhaust. Piece of pipe was welded. What can I buy to get rid of this and make the exhaust "solid" instead of having it rigged? Please help I want the swap to be proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cals si03 View Post
    I currently have a K20A2 in my car with the stock EP3 exhaust from headers to end of cat, Skunk 2 cat-back exhaust. The pipe that connects the headers to the catalytic converter was rigged so it would fit the current position of the EP3 exhaust. Piece of pipe was welded. What can I buy to get rid of this and make the exhaust "solid" instead of having it rigged? Please help I want the swap to be proper.
    umm from what i know, you have to rig the exhaust to make it fit properly. You ahve to cut the exhaust 3in to make it fit to a type-s RH. UNLES you get a type-s header and cat, with a type-s midpipe. Im not 100% but i think this is the only way to make it fit without actually cutting it, but im probably wrong lol

ok, first off, its a header, there is only one, no need for the plural.

you need an ep header and cat or ep specific race header. you currently have an rsx-s header and cat.

I currently have an EP3 cat and a RSX S header. So, A EP# race header would do the job? No midpipe or anythign else involved?

midpipe comes after the race header.

you can used stock a3 header, cat, midpipe, etc and it will be fine.

or get a race header and call it day.

dont make it more difficult than it is lol.

Well that mean I would have to buy a Race Header and a midpipe, then hook up to my cat back exhaust? Correct? Sry, I just want this to be a good setup. Any O2 sensors involved?

wow way to read sycksir, stop bein a dick to everyone and maybe concentrate on helping people...

alright heres the deal with the type s/type r (itr or ctr) spec header/downpipe/midpipe versus the usdm ep3 header/downpipe/midpipe

the first issue is that the header and downpipe from the type s/itr/ctr is that they are longer than our usdm ep3 header, so the us midpipe is too long

also the flange on the type s/itr/ctr header is angled, so the flange on our midpipe wont be the right angle, even if it were the right length...

the midpipes on the type s/itr/ctr are shorter and have the angled flange

so your options come down to a type s/itr/ctr header to match a type s/itr/ctr specific midpipe

OR

a usdm ep3 spec header to match a usdm ep3 spec midpipe

OR

that little adapter pipe between a type s/itr/ctr spec midpipe and a usdm ep3 header

i hope that helps you decide what you want to do, but if i were ANYONE, i wouldnt screw around with usdm ep3 spec stuff, id just use type s/itr/ctr spec header+ type s/itr/ctr spec midpipes

you will consistently get larger diameter piping and you dont have to play the "will it fit game"

the type/itr/ctr spec headers all bolt up to the k20, though you may need the CTR front sway bar to clear the header, depending on specific headers, though it may be all, i have the ctr sway so im not worried...

ill note that you are killing your power with that usdm ep3 header, its VERY restrictive, especially in the cat

look up hte ITR header thread on here, it will show you what i mean about the restriction...

alright, hope this helped

it sounds like you have a type s spec cat back exhaust...especially with that adapter
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Thanks for the post it is greatly appreciated. I have a type s header on my
    K20A2. There is a custom piece to hook the header with the cat. I want to get rid of the custom piece. In order to do this all I would need is a Type s midpipe? So, it would go Type S header, Type S midpipe, then EP3 skunk 2 cat-back? Please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for the post it is greatly appreciated. I have a type s header on my
    K20A2. There is a custom piece to hook the header with the cat. I want to get rid of the custom piece. In order to do this all I would need is a Type s midpipe? So, it would go Type S header, Type S midpipe, then EP3 skunk 2 cat-back? Please let me know. Thanks.
    I think that'll work, yes. Another option would be a Type S header & cat, then a JDM/EDM CTR catback, but that'll be more costly, of course. I've got a Type S header & cat with a JDM Fujitsubo catback.

The secondary O2 sensor wire will be just barely long enough to reach, but I'd recommend getting an extension of about 3" just to be safe. Casper's Electronics should be able to make one if you call 'em up and ask.

"Personal Experience Disclaimer"---- Type-S spec Comptech shorty to Type-s cat to cut & re-welded Magnaflow catback midpipe (EP spec) to the Magnaflow's axle back piece. The only thing I would (and want) to do is change out the midpipe for a type-s spec or I have another Magnaflow midpipe to cut/reweld by a pro for better fitment. My current one rattles when it is wet....

Should I get a Type S cat or will the header and midpipe replace that? As far as O2 snesors what will I need so my check engine light won't come on.

Should I get a Type S cat or will the header and midpipe replace that? As far as O2 snesors what will I need so my check engine light won't come on.
    ok lets clear something up here, header refers to the primary pipes, the downpipe is the big pipe off the header attached as part of the cat, and the midpipe is the piece between cat and the axle back...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Ok, so the welded piece is the down pipe. The connection that is crappy is the downpipe and the cat. Should I just replace the header with a race header? Then where do the O2 sensors go? Thansk for all the help guys....

Ok, so the welded piece is the down pipe. The connection that is crappy is the downpipe and the cat. Should I just replace the header with a race header? Then where do the O2 sensors go? Thansk for all the help guys....
    uhh...i dont think you are understanding...the connection issue is between the cat and the midpipe, the downpipe and cat are the same piece...

there are places on the raceheader for 02 sensors but you will throw a code and unless you have kpro you are wasting your time with a RH...youd be better off with a type s or type r header and downpipe...and even with the race header you still have the same issue, you need it to be type s or type r specific...

also what you need to understand is you cant just buy the downpipe/cat from a type s, you need to buy both the header and hte downpipe/cat

making sense???
    my ep is white...

Ok, starting to make sense. Is there a diagram of the EP3 exhaust anywhere on this site??? That would be key. Basically, my check engine light is on for the primary O2 sensor. I want ot fix this and at the same tiem replace the filler piece. I have a Type S header and I need a what to hook up to the Cat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information