Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Headlight Restoration

I have tried a few products to remove the yellowing and cloudyness of my headlights such as meguiers plastic polish and also a $12 kit from autozone that I can't remember the name of, with no luck of any improvement. finally I found a great product. 3m makes a restoration kit that atatches to a drill. it comes with 500, 800, and 3000 trizact sand paper and polish. i should of taken before and after picks but i did it at night before i went to a meet and finished some more buffing in the am since it 94 deg. outside.

whats it called.... i recently tried some stuff, Mothers Mag and Aluminim Wheel Polish, and it worked pretty well, almost like new. I'm seeing how long it lasts and then i'll try something else. I've heared the best way is to wetsand and polish but your stuff sounds about the same

i actually made a thread and posted pics are your results better then mine????

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45306
    Last edited by Zeth; 05-10-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth View Post
    whats it called.... i recently tried some stuff, Mothers Mag and Aluminim Wheel Polish, and it worked pretty well, almost like new. I'm seeing how long it lasts and then i'll try something else. I've heared the best way is to wetsand and polish but your stuff sounds about the same

i actually made a thread and posted pics are your results better then mine????

www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45306
    Mine look like they might have been worse but look the same in the end the product is http://www.3mestore.com/60455033872.html
    Last edited by KevinEP3; 05-12-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: link

my dad used some sort of kit he found at wal mart on his 01 accord and it worked like a charm... i'll try and find the name of it for you

i also heard chrome polish works well too... havent tried that one yet either

they have this headlight restoration kit at advanced auto thats in a silver/chrome colored package...it's about $20 i believe

I've used it on three cars and it works wonders. Just remember the time you take to prep (multiple wet sanding stages) will show up at the end. I spent about 3x as much time wet sanding than recommended on the package. Results were amazing. Crystal clear headlights, but i'm unsure as to the longevity of the product.

tooth paste
    -
    everclear

Quote Originally Posted by KevinEP3 View Post
    Mine look like they might have been worse but look the same in the end the product is http://http://www.3mestore.com/60455033872.html
    my headlights are starting to turn yellow and cloudy. im definitely gonna check out this product.

oh and your link is messed up. you have an extra http in there.

I normally just run over the headlight with a cutting pad and some paint polish, clears up any yellowing issues 90% of the time. Wet sanding is only required for really deep scratches.

all you really need is some sanding paper and some polish...

depending on how bad your lights are, start with at a minimum of 800 and work your way up to 1500/2000 grit... after that, get you some Plastx and buff it out... should come out cherry...

Are you guys using a machine polisher for the finishing step? I wet sanded my gf's car (01 eclipse) w/ 2000 grit sandpaper and used the Meguiar's Plastic Polish but it still looks cloudy. I just need to make the plastic look clear again....any tips?

Plastx and a cotton cloth worked well for me

are the cloudiness coming from the out side or the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by wishbear View Post
    are the cloudiness coming from the out side or the inside?
    Its normally on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOW EP3 View Post
    Are you guys using a machine polisher for the finishing step? I wet sanded my gf's car (01 eclipse) w/ 2000 grit sandpaper and used the Meguiar's Plastic Polish but it still looks cloudy. I just need to make the plastic look clear again....any tips?
    correct you will need a machine polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmofyourhand View Post
    correct you will need a machine polisher.
    Fudge...what kind are you guys using? I have the Mother's polishing ball (for wheels) and the only other thing I have is a 10" Ryobi orbital. I have an entire arsenal of air tools though, just not the right attachments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information