Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Wurd.

DIY: HFP Hatch Spoiler

I know this is easy... the instructions are excellent (do a search you'll find them). This is just to supplement the instructions... I followed them pretty closely to do this.

1. Remove the plastic trim inside that covers the high-mount brake light. Remove one piece on each side of it if you plan on using the film to block out viewing the spoiler from inside the car. I have dark tints so didn't bother with the film.

2. Un-bolt the brake light housing. Then remove from hatch (there are tabs in the center hole of the hatch) and unhook the 2-pin connector.

3. Undo the two nuts holding on the mini-spoiler.

4. Undo the bolts from the outside edges of the thing you are removing.

5. Next, I pulled up on the hatch spoiler to remove it. You are pulling against two clips in the middle section:

AND two velcro pieces on the outside edges:

6. I taped the wires to the inside hatch away from where I was going to drill through. I'm pointing at where the hole is going to be.

7. I stuck tape on the top of your glass so metal filings don't drop into the glass adhesive. To catch the drill shavings I put a sheet down inside my hatch, and a magnet on the inside near when I was going to drill.

8. Then I taped on my template that came with the spoiler, and carefully put a divot into the metal with a hammer and punch. Make sure you do this or your drill bit will wander all over when you start drilling.

9. I removed the template and used a 1/8" drill bit to put a hole where I marked it.

10. I used a 19mm hole saw (instructions call for 20mm... mine worked fine) to cut a hole for the new brake light wires.

11. File the burrs off the edge of your new hole, inside and out. DON'T bother pulling your wires through like I did... leave them taped inside! Then use touch-up paint to cover the bare metal parts of your new hole.

12. Use fishing line or dental floss to remove the velcro pieces on your glass. I scraped the goo off with a credit card, helped by Goo-Gone and rubbing alcohol. Then clean the area of the glass down to about 8" from the top with alcohol.

13. Pull back the two-sided tape and tape it to the spoiler like this:

I went from the middle of the spoiler to the outside edges with the tape backings. This way I knew which way to pull it after I put it on.

14. With the hatch half-way open, I set the spoiler in place after pushing the brake-light wires through the hole I drilled. It bolts up with four nuts and the two bolts on the outside edges.

15. Connect the 2-pin connectors, wrap with half of the EPT sealer that came with your spoiler around the connection (keeps it from vibrating against the metal), and push the wires back up into the hatch.

16. Take the bulbs out of your brake light and bolt back on. Replace your trim pieces.

17. Now and notice how much better your car looks. Look at it again. Damn, that looks good.

PS: I didn't bother sticking the pieces on the inside of the glass to hid the spoiler, or paint the outside of the glass like the instructions said because I have really dark tints and I can't tell anyway!
    Last edited by fatathaland; 10-25-2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added comment about film in step 1 and added touch up paint to step 11.; formated title (fatathaland)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTechEP3 View Post
    Canada has the Eh?3 Know what I'm talking aboot?

nice, detailed writeup man.. i'll be using this in the future for sure!

Wurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post
    nice, detailed writeup man.. i'll be using this in the future for sure!
    Thanks! The front lip was really easy to do. The side-skirts were ok too. Get a friend to help you with the skirts and lip to make life easier. I didn't take pics because the buddy that helped me had to get home to his po'd wife!

I would recommend putting the tape backing on _after_ putting the wing on. I followed the instructions and put the backing on first, and after I put the wing on they didn't line up, so I just had to remove them altogether.

ima use it soon man nice job on the write up man.... no done pic of your car ???

Nice write up, the only difficult part for me was driling the hole. Other then that piece of cake.

Wurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by locoep3 View Post
    ima use it soon man nice job on the write up man.... no done pic of your car ???
    Not yet... I went on to start the rear sway, and ran into the typical endlink removal problem so I was too tired to take more pics. I'll update when I get some!

Nice write up!

This will help alot of us! I need a HFP spoiler...NEED!

why'd you pull off the side hatch plastic? i did mine without taking them off.

any possible way you could tell me what size the bolts for the outer screws are. I lost them, and I dont know what thread size the bolts are supposed to be.

You need to drill a hole for the wire to put into the brake light?

good write up indeed!
    EPHATCH.COM 4 LYFE!! OFF THA CHAIN KREW #1

udontknowjack's mom was here....twice!

UPDATED SITE INFO!

Want to become a Site Sponsor? Click Here!

PM for HELP!!

Good write up I will also be using it soon.

Wurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by e moo View Post
    You need to drill a hole for the wire to put into the brake light?
    Yes. Stock EP has the high-mount brake light on the inside of the hatch. HFP spoiler has the brake light in it, so your wires with their 2-pin connector need to be routed through that hole.

Wurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I would recommend putting the tape backing on _after_ putting the wing on. I followed the instructions and put the backing on first, and after I put the wing on they didn't line up, so I just had to remove them altogether.
    I'm not sure I know what you mean. :noidea: The tape is on the spoiler... you just peel the back off enough that it wraps around to the front so you can pull it off after you tighten the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by locoep3 View Post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information