Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    my a3 w5/speed is completely stock and i shift some where around 3500 with some wot passing and i am getting about 29-33 highway. i want to swap to a k24a1 and a 6 speed wondering what kind of mileage people are getting with one of these in a ep3 (with stock ecu and kpro)?

I took a 250 mile trip up through the mountains in Tennessee a few months ago and I was running about 75-85 the entire time and I averaged exactly 30 MPG on a stock computer with a K&N SRI

Quote Originally Posted by r_jones06 View Post
    I took a 250 mile trip up through the mountains in Tennessee a few months ago and I was running about 75-85 the entire time and I averaged exactly 30 MPG on a stock computer with a K&N SRI
    With a stock a3?

ephatch member
    I don't want to seem like an ass, but i want to make sure that people are calculating their mpg correctly when they are reporting their mpg #'s. Please be sure to say "when my light turns on i have gone *** miles and have a year 20**" when you use the tank method because it is not a very accurate method. If you're going to put a numerical value like 30mpg be sure to fill up your tank all the way and reset your trip odo, then drive till it is low and fill your tank all the way back up(at the same pump you used before) and divide the trip odo by the number of gallons put in. This is really the most accurate way to calculate mpg's. The tank method can be off by 10 mpg's so don't use it....or at least don't post it because it is misleading. Thanks and no offense.

As for the guy going like 85 through mountains and getting 30 sumthin mpgs, what method did you use? do you still have a cat? Was it mostly down hill? Did you coast? just curious.

Aslo anybody here have experience with Scantool? It's an electronic gauge that can show you realtime mpg and fuel rate. Looks like it might fit nicely where our little shelf below theradio is.

it was all interstate driving and never WOT. Just barely push the gas and you will get better gas mileage. I was suprised myself to get 30 MPG

Just got back from a 150 mile (each way) weekend road trip. I'm running an a3 with a k24a1 head, Hondata IMG and Throttle Body Coolant Bypass, ARC Box, BCRH, Apexi N1 2.5" exhaust and the Hondata High Octane base tune, running 93 octane.

I averaged 31.5-32 mpg in both directions with the cruise set at 5mph over the limit the entire way.

The best mileage I have ever gotten was my last trip back to Boston. With the turbo and kpro I averaged slightly more than 33mpg (with me turning the A/C on and off intermittently). The same exact trip without the turbo and kpro netted around 28mpg. I'm still trying to figure that one out...

yes just for a little reference, in my (old) k242 ep, it made 216/169 yet on trips i would get 36mpg (rsx 6spd tranny, sri, jrrh, t1r midpipe, stock axle back all played a roll i am sure)

I just went on a backpacking trip that involved a lot of freeway driving. On my way up I was getting 30.25 mpg driving briskly....maybe 75-80 the entire way. My car is relatively stock.

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL MotoR Ep3 View Post
    yea u can use kpro to get better fuel mileage but you have to know what you are doing...so you should start reading on how to tune..so you could save your money and do it yourself cause tuning is expensive
    Modding a car is expensive, no exceptions. You shouldn't mod a car that modifies the way the engine intakes or extracts air if you know that it will cost lots of money or make it unreliable

There are affordable tuning methods available out there. I know Mr. Pizza just got done. Pm him and he'll tell you how affordable and convenient it was

Yeah, I'm getting extremly good fuel economy and it was very proffesional and affordable. I was really expecting for it to get worse after the k24swap and a bigger turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    Its a catch 22 more hp = more fuel burned...better fuel economy = less hp

but im sure you could use kpro to increase your mpg but you would most likely lose some hp
    thats faulty by it self

more hp = less work the engine has to do, producing more power, it depends how you drive it

My Kpro on the Hondata tunes(k20a3 high octane) SUCK in mpg
    Last edited by cerebrous; 05-30-2008 at 01:34 PM.

I drove 400Km on a full tank city driving.. thats 248 miles

i drove about 300miles give or take on a full tank to almost empty at a speed of 60-70. i was running low oct tune. before kpro i was about 250mpg to empty give or take

mods are aem v2, skunk2 mega power exhaust. thats all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information