Close

Thread: 5w-30 vs 10w-30

5w-30 vs 10w-30

i know i may have asked this before but im still curious about it. i have been using 10w-30 since i put the turbo kit on but i always wondered if i could go with 5w-30 for possible gas mailage increase. i talked to my friend with a peakboost type s and he said he uses his stock oil weight which is 5w-30 with no problems. he also said that every boosted rsx that he knows of still uses 5w-30. so if they can use it with no problems then why cant we?

only 10w30 castrol syntec always Is better for the turbo seals. and my gas mileage is 25 to 29 mpg

Quote Originally Posted by squeak04si View Post
    i know i may have asked this before but im still curious about it. i have been using 10w-30 since i put the turbo kit on but i always wondered if i could go with 5w-30 for possible gas mailage increase. i talked to my friend with a peakboost type s and he said he uses his stock oil weight which is 5w-30 with no problems. he also said that every boosted rsx that he knows of still uses 5w-30. so if they can use it with no problems then why cant we?
    You do know the first number is actually how cold ur oil can get before it freezes right? W=(Winter)

Quote Originally Posted by michinsi View Post
    You do know the first number is actually how cold ur oil can get before it freezes right? W=(Winter)
    ok so i live in louisiana where its masically hot 80% of the year

ok so i live in louisiana where its masically hot 80% of the year
    i am in the same boat man living in coastal georgia. i started running 10w-30 about 2 changes ago (last 6K miles). as the oil heats up it thins out. you can see this in your oil pressure gauge in the idle pressure. when you first start the car it sits fairly high, but once you drive and the oil heats up, it idles at a lower psi. as hot as it gets down here, i feel its better to run a 10w30, especially on boost. to be honest i really did not see a difference in gas mileage between the 5w30and the 10w30. i would stick with what you are using man.

slow & quiet again 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michinsi View Post
    Wrong. The first number is the oil's weight (compared to a single-weight oil) at 0deg Celsius. The second number is the weight at operating temperature (I don't remember the exact temp used for the benchmark).
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    Wrong. The first number is the oil's weight (compared to a single-weight oil) at 0deg Celsius. The second number is the weight at operating temperature (I don't remember the exact temp used for the benchmark).
    thanks saved me some typing...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

anybody run the mobil1 0w-20? I'm thinking of trying it out.

slow & quiet again 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
    anybody run the mobil1 0w-20? I'm thinking of trying it out.
    Honda's original recommendation was 5w-20, but after the cam galling issues popped up it's recommended to use 5w-30 (or thicker, depending on your mods and operating conditions). I don't have any links handy, but I'm sure you can find previous discussions about it in the Engine section.

I could be wrong, but I'd say 0w-20 is WAY too thin even on a bone-stock motor.

no cam galling here. i have a 04 plus i checked them last time i did a valve adjustment.

ephatch member
    no cam galling here. i have a 04 plus i checked them last time i did a valve adjustment.
    The galling was on 02-03 cars. The cam stocks were not properly hardened. Of course its not on ALL the cars made in them years, but only a few from each. The 5W-20 was used to make the cars miuleage and emissions fall in another catagory......They later recommened 5w-30. For turbo I wouldnt use anything less then a 40 weight fully synthetic. The "W" designation means nothing to a warmed up motor.

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    Just to add (since so many people have the misconseption that oil gets thicker when it warms up), the hole used to measure the cold weight is much larger than the hole used to measure the hot weight (for the centistoke numbers), therefore oil actual doesnt get thicker when hot but thinner.

I seen a chart once converting the two....a 10W-30 actual calculates to like 80-30 if measured equally. Thats why youll have 80-85psi cold idleing and only 20-30 when hot.

The lower number raises also as oil gets older since the additives sublime faster than the oil on cylinder walls.

Quote Originally Posted by cukali View Post
    Just to add (since so many people have the misconseption that oil gets thicker when it warms up), the hole used to measure the cold weight is much larger than the hole used to measure the hot weight (for the centistoke numbers), therefore oil actual doesnt get thicker when hot but thinner.

I seen a chart once converting the two....a 10W-30 actual calculates to like 80-30 if measured equally. Thats why youll have 80-85psi cold idleing and only 20-30 when hot.

The lower number raises also as oil gets older since the additives sublime faster than the oil on cylinder walls.
    and i already knew this

ephatch member
    and i already knew this
    I know you did.....i only used your quote so my post appeared on topic. So many people in other threads think the opposite.

Thread Information