Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how to tighten JRSC belt.

My belt is squeaking and loose and I need to tighten it up. Newb question, is the less threads showing on the tensioner belt mean the tighter the belt is? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by si4life View Post
    My belt is squeaking and loose and I need to tighten it up. Newb question, is the less threads showing on the tensioner belt mean the tighter the belt is? Thanks.
    The bolt needs to go down to make it tighter, so turn it to the right. As for squeaking use some belt conditioner.

yes, loosen up the tensioner pulley and if you have a torque wrench, torque the 10mm bolt to 45 pounds. what i did was i removed the bolt and put a nut on, then torqued it 45 pounds, then tightened the nut to the idler assembly. been going since January and so far no belt slippage.

also, make sure its the belt thats squeaking, because my idler pulley is squeeking and i heard its a common problem on the jrsc. i have been spraying the pulley with silicone spray and it usually lasts about a week before it starts making the noise again, then i just respray it. i will order the new pulley when i am upgrading to the race kit, so its not much of a problem for me.

ok cool. thanks guys. it squeaks really bad when it rains. I'll tighten the belt and use some belt conditioner.

ok cool. thanks guys. it squeaks really bad when it rains. I'll tighten the belt and use some belt conditioner.
    see if its the belt thats squeaking or the pulley.

also how old is the belt? what kind of belt?

and how many miles are on the jrsc?

NrGiNnY14 are making a 182 whp with the street kit? What kind of header?

Sorry to threadjack

Quote Originally Posted by vbpracer View Post
    NrGiNnY14 are making a 182 whp with the street kit? What kind of header?

Sorry to threadjack
    dc shorty and megan tp

I've the same problem. I find it odd that it is louder when it rains. Have you had any luck yet? I'm going to dig in tomorrow, but I though I'd ask. Thanks.

yea my belt squeaks worse when it rains.

sounds like the idler pulley is the problem. mine did get louder when it rained and i just put on a brand new idler pulley and it makes 0 noise. well worth the $35 from jackson racing. if the jrsc has some miles on it, chances are you guys are having the same problem as me

My jrsc only has about 20k on it. do you think it's still the idler pulley? also does using a gatorback belt reduce the squeaking? Im currently running with the dayco that came with the kit. i just changed the belt and it has 5k on it and is about a month old.

Quote Originally Posted by NrGiNnY14 View Post
    sounds like the idler pulley is the problem. mine did get louder when it rained and i just put on a brand new idler pulley and it makes 0 noise. well worth the $35 from jackson racing. if the jrsc has some miles on it, chances are you guys are having the same problem as me
    Last edited by si4life; 06-26-2008 at 08:14 AM.

see if its the belt thats squeaking or the pulley.

also how old is the belt? what kind of belt?

and how many miles are on the jrsc?
    how can you tell if it's the belt or the pulley that's squeaking (sorry for the newb question)

My jrsc only has about 20k on it. do you think it's still the idler pulley? also does using a gatorback belt reduce the squeaking? Im currently running with the dayco that came with the kit. i just changed the belt and it has 5k on it and is about a month old.
    20k isn't bad, but then again everyone is different. the big problem with the jrsc is the tensioner assembly and i now several people that had to get new idler pulleys after about a year or so of useage. thats 1 of the only drawbacks of the jrsc, the tensioner assembly sucks.

i'm not sure how the gatorback belts are, even though i hear alot of good things from them, but the dayco is garage, so i hear. i use a gates belt which you can get at napa, the part # is 25070630 for the street kit and 25070622 for the race kit.

how can you tell if it's the belt or the pulley that's squeaking (sorry for the newb question)
    if you really wanna find out, go to an autoparts store and buy a can of silicone spray. with the car on, spray in between the idler pulley and tensioner assembly and if the noise goes away, its time for a new idler pulley. the spray does last a little while, but its just a quick fix that will come back. i used the spray for about 3-4 months and i ended up ordering the pulley when i bought my 4" pulley from jr and so far its been great, 0 noise

yes, loosen up the tensioner pulley and if you have a torque wrench, torque the 10mm bolt to 45 pounds. what i did was i removed the bolt and put a nut on, then torqued it 45 pounds, then tightened the nut to the idler assembly. been going since January and so far no belt slippage.
    No, no, no, no!!!
    The 10mm bolt is to be tightened until you achieve 45 pounds of belt tension.
    Torquing the tiny 10mm bolt to 45 ft-lbs of torque will shear off the head.
    In order to properly tighten it, you need to have a device to measure belt tension. If you do not have that, you should do the following:
    1. Tighten the main pulley bolt by hand until it is snug but the pulley can still move up and down. (Just loose enough to move)
    2. Tighten the tensioner bolt about half way and with your fingers, try pushing on the belt in the mid point between two pulleys. If it deflects a lot, tighten some more. Keep doing this until you feel the belt is rather snug. Usually people will have about 1/2" - 1" of threads remaining when properly tightened.
    3. Torque the pulley bolt down to about 30 ft-lbs. Realistically, I have simply used a box end wrench and tightened enough to know it won't move. No need to kill it.

Over tightening the tensioner bolt will cause the pulley to have too much stress and lead to bearing failures prematurely.
    You will most likely need to tighten the belt a little after about 30-60 minutes of use.
    I have been running my SC for about 2 years/35,000 miles now. No tensioner adjusting and still original gatorback belt.

As for sprays, just for clarification:
    - use silicone spray on the pulley bearing only, do not get any on the belt.

- the spray to use for the belt to prevent slipping is this one:

Joey just made the thread you need.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48791
    Last edited by jimmyjames; 06-26-2008 at 09:46 AM.
    How to properly use Apostrophes
    The rev limiter is not meant to be used as a shift light

Thank you very much for input. I'll adjust the belt tension when i get home from work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information