Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
    No, no, no, no!!!
    The 10mm bolt is to be tightened until you achieve 45 pounds of belt tension.
    Torquing the tiny 10mm bolt to 45 ft-lbs of torque will shear off the head.
    In order to properly tighten it, you need to have a device to measure belt tension. If you do not have that, you should do the following:
    1. Tighten the main pulley bolt by hand until it is snug but the pulley can still move up and down. (Just loose enough to move)
    2. Tighten the tensioner bolt about half way and with your fingers, try pushing on the belt in the mid point between two pulleys. If it deflects a lot, tighten some more. Keep doing this until you feel the belt is rather snug. Usually people will have about 1/2" - 1" of threads remaining when properly tightened.
    3. Torque the pulley bolt down to about 30 ft-lbs. Realistically, I have simply used a box end wrench and tightened enough to know it won't move. No need to kill it.

Over tightening the tensioner bolt will cause the pulley to have too much stress and lead to bearing failures prematurely.
    You will most likely need to tighten the belt a little after about 30-60 minutes of use.
    I have been running my SC for about 2 years/35,000 miles now. No tensioner adjusting and still original gatorback belt.
    thanks for fixing that, i always thought the bolt had to be torqued to 45ft-lbs, but i ended up always doing it by eye and tested. it is a good idea to get a nut on the bolt though and after the tension is good, tighten the nut against the tensioner assembly, it helps make sure that the bolt doesn't back out

Quote Originally Posted by NrGiNnY14 View Post
    also, make sure its the belt thats squeaking, because my idler pulley is squeeking and i heard its a common problem on the jrsc. i have been spraying the pulley with silicone spray and it usually lasts about a week before it starts making the noise again, then i just respray it. i will order the new pulley when i am upgrading to the race kit, so its not much of a problem for me.
    I have the same issue with my pulley. What tool should I use to remove my pulley? I can't seem to fit a wrench in their to remove just the pulley. Any tips on how I should go about this?

what is belt conditioner? whenever mine squeeked I just let it warm up, or I put some grease on the bearings

Quote Originally Posted by NrGiNnY14 View Post
    sounds like the idler pulley is the problem. mine did get louder when it rained and i just put on a brand new idler pulley and it makes 0 noise. well worth the $35 from jackson racing. if the jrsc has some miles on it, chances are you guys are having the same problem as me
    Same here, changed the pulley after approx 40,000 miles and no more noise...

Quote Originally Posted by Strife View Post
    I have the same issue with my pulley. What tool should I use to remove my pulley? I can't seem to fit a wrench in their to remove just the pulley. Any tips on how I should go about this?
    most wrenches have the closed end side bent a little which lets you get on the pulley bolt real easy. if you don't have 1 thats bent a little, i suggest taking an old 17mm wrench and maybe making that bend yourself. it doesn't have to be a huge bend, but enough where the wrench can sit flat against the bolt

My belt is squeaking like a bitch now. so i ended up spraying some belt conditioner on it and tightened the belt. i sprayed some lub in the pully barings and squeak went away for a bit, but now when i hit 4k or high in the rpms supercharger makes weird noise. doesn't sound like the supercharger whining, or belt squeaking. is it possible that the belt is too tight and it causes the sc to make this noise at high rpms? should i replace my idealer pully?

jrsc has like 20k miles
    belt is almost new dayco (1-2k miles on it) -> i'm switching to gatorback to see if it helps.
    Last edited by si4life; 07-01-2008 at 09:00 AM.

anyone.....

describe the sound

slow & quiet again 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    It might be just the Dayco belt. The Gatorback rib design is supposed to be quieter.

The sound is not a sc whining noise, but not a squeaky belt sound it's kinda in between. lol. the sound happens when i accelarate and at rpms over 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdong View Post
    describe the sound

I hope so. When i instal the gatorback belt hopefully it will solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    It might be just the Dayco belt. The Gatorback rib design is supposed to be quieter.

Consider taking out the tensioner pully and spraying white lithium grease on the bearings. This has worked for many people. I actually did this when I installed the SC and haven't had any issues for almost 30K miles now.

There is an excellent DIY sticky that shows how to replace a belt, but it can also be used as a guide to tighten a belt.

does anyone have the pulley/belt diagram?

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjew View Post
    There is an excellent DIY sticky that shows how to replace a belt, but it can also be used as a guide to tighten a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by si4life View Post
    does anyone have the pulley/belt diagram?

There you go! Just assume that the stock tensioner is no longer there and the supercharger pulley is located directly in front of it. The belt uses the stock routing except for that it goes over and around the supercharger pulley while being routed underneath of the JRSC tensioner assembly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information