Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by soprano21 View Post
    yea charlie if you can get some simple green do it........ i forgot to mention tat earlier works great for cleaning the engine bay........once im all done with that i use the tire shine on all of the hoses(tire gel) it gives it a nice clean looks and helps keep the hoses fresh
    haha you forgot that part dude

Quote Originally Posted by thisisagame24 View Post
    it will help on some of it but not all of it......like the rusted bolts i dont think it will do much to
    yah im not worried about the rusty bolts, ill just put rust stop on those that chemically neutralizes the rust and turns it black...ive got to do that before winter...though if things work out i may end up interning in california for winter muahaha
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

golan wants my weena thisisagame24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teambeechstreet View Post
    simple green ftw
    troooofs

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    haha you forgot that part dude

yah im not worried about the rusty bolts, ill just put rust stop on those that chemically neutralizes the rust and turns it black...ive got to do that before winter...though if things work out i may end up interning in california for winter muahaha
    your in cali im flyin out to chill

Quote Originally Posted by soprano21 View Post
    your in cali im flyin out to chill
    sounds like a plan man, pray for charley designing for mazda, mitsu, toyota, or honda!!!
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

so ive never really done a thorough engine bay cleaning, so i figured id ask everyone what they do for cleaning their engine bays!!
    personally ive just sprayed down the engine bay and selectively used engine brite then rinsed
    POST UP PEOPLE!!
    im guessing this is with the engine in? or are you doin a full clean for a swap

Quote Originally Posted by frm_808 View Post
    im guessing this is with the engine in? or are you doin a full clean for a swap
    im just talking about with the engine in...ill have to eventually scrub her down when i do my swap down the road...but in that case ill go nuts with engine brite

plus i had the idea for this thead today when hanging with soprano21 and figured it would be a good discussion for everyone and a good source of info down the road for others...
    my ep is white...

For me, the first thing I do is cover the alternator, the air filter intake with plastic bags (to avoid damage to the alternator or water going into the engine). Then I use engine brite or engine degreaser and spray down the entire engine bay with them. I let it set for about 10-15 minutes and then I spray down the engine with a water hose that has a pressure attachment on it. I make sure that I spray all of the engine degreaser out by looking at the color of the water that comes of the wash. If the water is clear, than I stop spraying the engine with the water hose, if it's still greases looking then I spray the engine down until the water that drain under the car is clear.

Once the all the engine degreaser is sprayed off the car, I then bring in my air compressor with a pressure air attachment to blow off all the existing water of my engine bay. I spend a good 10 minutes to make sure that there is no excess water in any part of my engine bay to avoid future rusting. Onces all the water is blow off of my car, I then spray on some armor all to give all the plastic and rubber hoses a glossy look (I heard armor all cracks the rubber hoses, but I put it on anyways and it has yet shown any signs of cracking). I then start the car and let the heat coming off the engine dry off the excess armor all.

After my engine is spotless and clean, I wash the exterior of my car to make sure that there are not excess chemicals on my paint that can damage it. I do this twice a year and so far things have gone well and my engine bay looks as good as cars you'll find in the dealership.

ephatch member
    If you're worried about getting water onto sensitive parts try using either a quick detailer spray, or Optimum No Rinse Car Wash. With the QD, just spray on, wipe off, and then buff, apply trim dressing as needed to plastic, hoses, etc. Or with Optimum, wipe each section down with your wash mit or towel, then dry, and dress accordingly...

This way you don't have to worry about getting water into the alternator, or fuse box, or any other sensitive pieces...

I used some simple green and Gunk engine brite. use a bit of gunk to peel the road grime off. Then used a spray washer with a soap dispenser and it helps get into the nooks and crannies. let sit for about 5 minutes, rinse and repeat until sparkley.

sounds like a plan man, pray for charley designing for mazda, mitsu, toyota, or honda!!!
    HONDA!!!!please

i used a carburetor cleaner. it works great! however, if anyone decides to do this, make sure you don't rub it in too hard. it can slowly take off paint. it works great though for rough spots like the intake manifold and heavily greased up parts.

id like to know what to do with that, ive always avoided those areas
    Put a plastic bag over it!
    Thats what I do for my EG...anything electrical you'll want to avoid spraying.

I blast the whole engine bay with a good industrial power steamer, cleans better then any other method imo. Any grease, dirt, oil, etc... is instantly washed away and looks like the day it came out of the factory.

Simple green

Quote Originally Posted by kaisertj View Post
    I blast the whole engine bay with a good industrial power steamer, cleans better then any other method imo. Any grease, dirt, oil, etc... is instantly washed away and looks like the day it came out of the factory.
    thats kinda what i do, i drive my car for a while then go to the car wash and spray the engine really good then close the hood and spray off the car and after about 10 or 15 min i open the hood and spray it again. that seems to do a good job without any chemicals.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information