Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY removing scratches from headlights?

Searched but I couldn't find it... I only found blacking out headlights..

Sorry! But does anyone have it, video/DIY/Tut?
    Last edited by fatathaland; 10-23-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Start with the least abrasive (plastic polish, wax, glaze) and drop down as needed (wet sand, 1500 grit, 1000 grit, etc).
    Mel

This stuff has worked the best out of all the products I've used so far. It's also the most expensive.

Took the scratches from 2000 grit wet sanding out like a champ.

I've read somewhere to use toothpaste... I do not know if it really works or not, never tried it myself

I am also too scared to use sand paper on my headlights.. but I've heard it works as well

2000 grit sandpaper is like a cat's tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by twep View Post
    I've read somewhere to use toothpaste... I do not know if it really works or not, never tried it myself

I am also too scared to use sand paper on my headlights.. but I've heard it works as well
    toothpaste is nowhere near abrasive enough to remove scratches. its better for scuffs or stains. super fine grit wet sanding is a good bet

Banned
    Ok, so if the scratches aren't deep, would some kind of plastic scratch remover work if we don't use sandpaper?

Quote Originally Posted by twep View Post

Yeah I was thinking of trying it anyways, see how it is, maybe make a DIY if anything just do to do it. If anything else goes wrong type-r projectors

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    2k grit sandpaper is used on clear coat. Just be sure to use a drop of detergent and a water supply for lube. Soak the paper prior to sanding as well.
    Mel

Thumbs up scratch removal

I did a scratch removal on my Ep 2 weeks ago. I took all the pics so I could attempt a DIY but i am away from my house to upload some pics. I wanted to attack it myself but i went ahead and bought a kit from the local auto shop. It was 18 bucks and it came with the sandpaper, buffing cloth, cleaner, and the sealant. looks brand new and will take from 15-30 minutes per light depending on your dedication.

i got i think sratch x from walmart and used it on a huge ass scratch i got from a fuckin shoppin car! took out the scratch like it never happened! i havent tried it on my light but ill try it it doenst seem to fuck up the paint at all! just removers what ever is on top of the clear coat! good 9 or 8 dollars i ever spent

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by playap07 View Post
    i got i think sratch x from walmart and used it on a huge ass scratch i got from a fuckin shoppin car! took out the scratch like it never happened! i havent tried it on my light but ill try it it doenst seem to fuck up the paint at all! just removers what ever is on top of the clear coat! good 9 or 8 dollars i ever spent
    Was that stuff in the automotive section?

Quote Originally Posted by silver hatch View Post
    Was that stuff in the automotive section?
    yup!

Banned
    Oh, but scratch x probably wont work on plastic though. I tried scratch doctor on mine and nothing happend. It probably needs to be stronger to use on plastic since a thin layer of solid plastic must be removed to eliminate the appearance of the scratch. Clearcoat shouldn't need very much.

Banned
    estimated time for beginners: 30 ~40 minutes

headlight cleaning materials:
    - water
    - 1500 grit sand paper
    - 2000 grit sand paper
    - polishing compound
    - clean terry towel
    - car wax

1st stage:
    1. wet the headlamp free from any small particles left over from
    2. wet the 1500 sand paper
    3. sand the headlight using ample amounts of water
    the purpose of the water is to prevent clogs underneath the sandpaper
    and it also keeps the temperature down. don't be afraid to sand your headlights with sandpaper. I know it's something new and daring since you are all used to using soft towels to clean your cars. it's ironic how rough & abrasive surfaces are used to create a smooth finish.
    4. sand the headlight corner to corner very thoroughly - this will cut away all the surface defects and nasty uneven stuff. sand! sand! sand! until you can see the clarity as you wipe the water away.

2nd stage:
    1. wet the headlamp
    2. wet the 2000 sand paper
    3. sand the headlight using ample amounts of water
    4. sand the headlight corner to corner very thoroughly - this will cut away the depths that the 1500 sand paper made previously. It cuts it down to microscopic crevices.
    5. wash.
    the 2000 grit sanding is as equally important as the first stage. Try to be patient and keep on sanding evenly throughout the surface. Sand it in even curcular motion. If you don't know when to stop or how much is enough, look closely and see if all the swirls are even.

3rd stage:
    by this time, ur headlamp will look very cloudy. u probably wont' be able to see the inside of it. this 3rd stage will require lots of hand and arm power. I don't suggest using a rotary unless u are experienced.
    1. take the polishing compound (I use Mother's)
    2. squeeze just a dime size onto the cloudy surface
    3. get ur 2 shocker fingers and wrap it with the terry towel
    4. work the polishing compound in a circular cuffing motion
    5. press down as you polish it. give it some friction.
    *the more you polish it, the more shine.

touch it up with some car wax

finished! :)

If there's a certain scratch u want to remove, ur gonna have to sand it down to an depth of that scratch all around the headlights. so basically ur cutting a couple layers of clear plastic. But the instructions still stay the way it is :).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information