Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon Fiber

That reclear job looks awesome. When I had a CF hood on my 200sx I would wax it almost weekly to help. It still started to haze. A guy I know tried reclearing his CF hood, and I guess he didn't prep enough. Now it's nice and glossy over the haze. I think if I ever get CF parts again I'm going to just paint them.

That's pretty good! If the oxidation isn't as bad as the last picture you can use some rubbing compound and buff it out to a shine with a buffer/polisher. Depending on how harsh the compound is the less you have to buff. Its almost like liquid sand paper. After compounding use a scratch remover and then wax. I've restored a few Carbon fiber pieces of mine. Sanding is the final option. As for the bubbling i think thats done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ep3T0n3y View Post
    by the looks of the other wing.... looks like your not a fan of waxing your cars?
    which would explain the oxidation to.
    lmao.. thats my project car.. there are many other things to worry about other than paint.. the whole CAR needs a paint job.. don't judge haha

I baby my ep :P

Quote Originally Posted by ShadySi View Post
    i finally decided to bite the bullet and fix my wing...

before:

during (before clear coat):

final:

SO GLAD i finally did it woo

its not as clear and cleaa as a professional clear coat.. but you can't beat it for 15$ in materials.. and i have plenty left over
    what did u use i just bought a wing and the top half is so dull i need it 911 by this weekend i was planning on doing a clay rub on the whole car can i do that on the cf aswell please help all info needed lol

im thinkin about gettin a cf hood and wing are they a pain to care for, and i want something that would last,anyone know if showstoppers cfs products are good quilty , dont wanta spent the extra money on cf and have to paint it in 2 years

i belive there siebon...atleast the mugen rep wing is

looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by gutierrez626 View Post
    what did u use i just bought a wing and the top half is so dull i need it 911 by this weekend i was planning on doing a clay rub on the whole car can i do that on the cf aswell please help all info needed lol
    wetsand 1000 grit until all the oxidation/dull spots are gone
    wetsand 1500 grit to double check and smooth over
    spray can automotive clear

and you're done

don't expect the shine and clarity of a professional clear.. i'm not sure how to do that lol.. i looks bumpy almost matte up close.. it still has some chine, but its not supee smooth. I think it needs a polish to get that shinny.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadySi View Post
    wetsand 1000 grit until all the oxidation/dull spots are gone
    wetsand 1500 grit to double check and smooth over
    spray can automotive clear

and you're done

don't expect the shine and clarity of a professional clear.. i'm not sure how to do that lol.. i looks bumpy almost matte up close.. it still has some chine, but its not supee smooth. I think it needs a polish to get that shinny.
    just wondering but after the sanding you do wash the hood then clear cost the hood right? and should this be able to be all done in 1 day also how long should i wait for each coat of clear to put on?

Quote Originally Posted by 1fasthb View Post
    just wondering but after the sanding you do wash the hood then clear cost the hood right? and should this be able to be all done in 1 day also how long should i wait for each coat of clear to put on?
    You always use a prep cleaner after you sand so you don't end up with dirt and contamination issues!

For you guys who don't have access to prep cleaners just use windex.

It's what a lot of old school body guys used back in the day to help the paint adhere to the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by EP3tuner410 View Post
    You always use a prep cleaner after you sand so you don't end up with dirt and contamination issues!

For you guys who don't have access to prep cleaners just use windex.

It's what a lot of old school body guys used back in the day to help the paint adhere to the panel.

well after i wet sand'd i used liguid soap to clean the hood and then pray'd clear from a can on it and it looks alote better then what it did, but doesnt looks brand new but still better then what it was just have to wait to get a new hood in few months in no rush tho

If you jus get a coat of clear put on the hood before u ever put it on wont ypu be goood? Im waiting for my hood fenders lip and spoiler to come in and i was gonna get them cleared and then put them on.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fasthb View Post
    well after i wet sand'd i used liguid soap to clean the hood and then pray'd clear from a can on it and it looks alote better then what it did, but doesnt looks brand new but still better then what it was just have to wait to get a new hood in few months in no rush tho
    As long as the surface was clean of contaminants then you are normally good.

My only thing is without anything to help adhear the clear to the panel it's hard to say how long it will last.

But since you are looking to get a new hood a temp fix can never hurt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information