Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warped Brake Rotars

my oem brakes i'm pretty positive are warped. Does anyone else have this problem? Or had this problem??

I had this problem. Replaced 4 wheel brakes and havent had an issue since. But with these hawk pads they are noisey as hell until i bevel the pads. I gotta do that about every 9 months then it gets noisey again. Oem isnt bad, just not meant to be beat on.

my OEM honda pads warped my rotors but have been fine on hawk HPS pads on oem rotors

Quote Originally Posted by civicSIracer View Post
    my OEM honda pads warped my rotors but have been fine on hawk HPS pads on oem rotors
    so you fixed the warped rotors by putting different pads on? Just sounds odd...
    Last edited by donkeygong64; 06-10-2008 at 07:32 PM.

I had warped oem rotors too and my oem brake pads wear out uneven...Pepboy's couldn't even have them resurface anymore...so I had to buy a whole new breaking system...powerslot cyro rotors, akebono street performance pads and stoptech ss brake lines...

i just replaced my front and rear brakes today and lucky mine are not warped! mine is only a daily driver so all i put on is some duralast gold on them from autozone haha. it feels a little bit better now than before with the oem ones. plus i have life time warranty so when they are out ima just get new ones for free ftmw!!!

most people think shit is warped when it is just normal wear. Hard shit rubbing on hard shit causes wear. It is actually very hard to truly warp rotors. Let's make sure we are describing the right condition so we don't spread more aids on the Internet and by aids I mean poor information

Quote Originally Posted by musashi1219 View Post
    most people think shit is warped when it is just normal wear. Hard shit rubbing on hard shit causes wear. It is actually very hard to truly warp rotors. Let's make sure we are describing the right condition so we don't spread more aids on the Internet and by aids I mean poor information
    truth, its probably just pad material built up on the rotor. there is almost no way your putting your brakes in a condition that would cause them to warp.

ephatch member
    my back rotors were warped to all hell, constant thumping while driving and when i pulled them off and put them on a flat surface they were soo warped that they would rock because they were curved. So, when you press the brake pedal does it shutter or thump back and forth? when you are driving do you hear thump thump thump? If you go up to 50mph and coast/downshift to a stop (without touching the brakes) and then get out and touch the rotors, are they hot? all these can be signs of the rotors being warped, the pads rubbing, or both. In my case pad came off the backing causing the rotor to overheat and warp(damn raybestos). Good luck, plus new brakes are always better than old brakes, so if in doubt change them or get a free inspection at a reputible brake shop.

Quote Originally Posted by dann_04 View Post
    my back rotors were warped to all hell, constant thumping while driving and when i pulled them off and put them on a flat surface they were soo warped that they would rock because they were curved. So, when you press the brake pedal does it shutter or thump back and forth? when you are driving do you hear thump thump thump? If you go up to 50mph and coast/downshift to a stop (without touching the brakes) and then get out and touch the rotors, are they hot? all these can be signs of the rotors being warped, the pads rubbing, or both. In my case pad came off the backing causing the rotor to overheat and warp(damn raybestos). Good luck, plus new brakes are always better than old brakes, so if in doubt change them or get a free inspection at a reputible brake shop.
    hes right. you can also check by using a dial indicator and make sure its secured to a non moving object when checking for out of roundness

Banned
    warped rotors r caused by incorrect lug torque. make sure you torque youre lugs properly to spec everytime.
    Last edited by mormonboy; 06-11-2008 at 02:53 AM. Reason: *lolz. edit. its late sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mormonboy View Post
    warped pedals r caused by incorrect lug torque. make sure you torque youre lugs properly to spec everytime.
    lug nut torque settings and rotor wear are completely unrelated. why would you even say that? and what are warped pedals? jeez....

Banned
    lolz. sorry its late. but warped rotors are often attributed to improper lug torquing specs. think about it for a second and youll understand why.

ephatch member
    over torqued lugs can cause rotor warpage, but it takes a while malform the rotor, and 5-10 ftlbs isn't gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by musashi1219 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MugsyTheGr8 View Post
    truth, its probably just pad material built up on the rotor. there is almost no way your putting your brakes in a condition that would cause them to warp.
    100% correct.
    Your rotors may "glaze" over or have "hot" spots in them, but on a DD your never going to actually "warp" your rotors. Part of the problem with OEM brakes is that they are more than likely never tempered correctly from the factory. All brakes should be broken in correctly to avoid the issue's the OP is having. Not applying your parking brake after working your brakes hard will also alleviate some of the glazing or transfer of material to the rotors. NASCAR cars don't even warp rotors, and we have all seen the under car shot of the brakes glowing orange.

Christian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information