Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mmm...torque :D

i finished my swap! :with pics!:

PICS ARE IN

after trying to acquire parts for the good part of a year, i can finally say that i swapped my engine! heres what i got

k24a1 block, k20a2 head, a2 oil pump, z3 chain guide
    rbc im, injen sp1576 cai
    kpro of course

stock transmission...? no wait!
    tsx 6th gear added on, obx lsd

the best part of it all is that i can say i did all the work myself--yes including that bloody transmission (bearing pressing and all). it is amazingly satisfying to know i got my hands dirty there. :thumb:

some notes:
    -if you plan on doing this yourself, leave a good week or so of free time to have everything done (ie the engine and transmission are put together)--things you already have will break, and the unexpected always happens.
    -having a laptop nearby would be amazing--any troubles you come across can immediately be searched for here or at k20a.org :thumb: 99% of them will be found on a thread already made...so the search button is your friend
    -pictures, labels, and a buttload of zip lock bags to keep everything organized would save you a world of time, but thats already implied

acknowledgements:
    over here id like to thank davis for his k24 diy and doug for his countless insightful threads--without them id be shooting in the dark figuring out what im doing. i appreciate all the work mike at elite tuning is doing for me, and more than anything i appreciate the patience he's had with how long this damn things been taking
    i would also like to thank my friends andy, joe, rich, and erik for the helping hands/experience they provided in this whole experience.
    i am sure there are plenty more people that i need to thank, but im running on such a high of having it completed

EDIT
    some pics. sorry for the lack of anything comprehensive--my hands were relatively full for the whole thing, and my friend that basically hung out the entire time was too big an idiot to take any pictures unless i said anything

the k24a1

my empty engine bay

my countershaft with the tsx 6th gear

my mainshaft with the tsx 6th gear

my office

another angle

transmission being put together (massive pain in the ass)

she's in

it was so nice to see my parent's garage after all of this

i may have a couple other pictures of my header and exhaust on my phone in addition to others--i'll get those up in due time as well
    Last edited by lldiesel386ll; 03-11-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lldiesel386ll View Post
    the best part of it all is that i can say i did all the work myself--yes including that bloody transmission (bearing pressing and all). it is amazingly satisfying to know i got my hands dirty there. :thumb:

Its so much more enjoyable that way.

Great job.

awesome!

ephatch member
    nice!!! your going to love the power!!!!

Great news! You are gonna love your new tq monster;)

lol i definitely do. acceleration characteristics are the same as the old engine, only now it doesnt stop...its awesome
    Last edited by lldiesel386ll; 10-26-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Awesome man, I'm doing my K24a1 swap next week.

have fun dude...torque is an amazing thing :thumb:
    i can't wait for the bcrh and exhaust to come in!

dude you pretty much have the same exact setup i want except without the tranny stuff. do you think i would be unhappy with just the five speed?

Very similar setup to what I am running. Nicely done. Nothing like the satisfaction and bloody hands that comes with doing the work yourself.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by DericSh View Post
    dude you pretty much have the same exact setup i want except without the tranny stuff. do you think i would be unhappy with just the five speed?
    not at all, and im sure you'll find yourself very happy with five gears...however i am finding myself getting to triple digit speeds way too easily... i'm finding that 6th gear quite useful to avoid that drone that goes along with those speeds

Quote Originally Posted by PAPITUYO326 View Post
    Very similar setup to what I am running. Nicely done. Nothing like the satisfaction and bloody hands that comes with doing the work yourself.
    and knowing that i finally got my friggen hands bloody and dirty after four years of engineering...you know what im talking about dude...no hands on experience until those last two semesters

Lots of people joining the big block club!

PAPI: Why did you go from k24a2 to k24a1 + k20z3? Does it have more potential? What about the internals, are they as strong as the k24a2?

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Angle View Post
    Lots of people joining the big block club!
    hell yes! its a shame that all this work now puts me in sm2, against some ridiculous competition ...too bad i only realized how much that sucks just recently when i saw my friend auto-x for the first time a couple weeks ago

oh well i guess :thumb:
    Last edited by lldiesel386ll; 08-14-2008 at 11:23 PM.

I switched motors mainly because I was planning a 400 hp turbo setup. The k24a1 takes boost alot better in stock form than the k24a2. I scrapped the idea after I had already selling my k24a2. Decided to do a K-EF build and keep the EP relatively mild. I managed to get some nice N/A upgrades to go along with the k24a1.

They both have the same potential IMO. The k20z3 head>k24a2 head, but the k24a2 block >k24a1 block (stock for stock). It evens out.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

im planning on this this exact setup....once i finish school which in a month and a half. cant wait :D

but how does it feel, does it pull much harder than the k20a3....obviously it does but is it a very big differnece, and what is the top end like?

I really wanna see some vids, SOMEONE get some k20/k24 vids up PLZ!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information