Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mmm...torque :D
    the difference is definitely noticeable. although i have not yet gotten to work with mike for a proper tune, the pull comes in a very predictable fashion--it feels like what the a3 should've felt like ...a bit more peppy lol
    can anyone else chime in? i dont know how to describe it, because this is the first time ive actually driven a peppy na fwd car (i dont want to say high, because the vicinity of 200 doesn't seem all too high anymore with today's newer engines)

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    i will say to your swap, take out the rbc and put back the stock a3 IM and put your stock muffler on. you will see a another big difference like i did! jeff evens told me the rbc is no good for these motors becuse you don't take advantage of it unless you reving about 8,000rpm.

i was going to get a rbc, instead it would be best to get a prc i believe it is called or a TSX IM. im just going to add a power plenum to my a3 im.

id like to see the actual difference with it since you have it on.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

Quote Originally Posted by 2004ep3hatch View Post
    i will say to your swap, take out the rbc and put back the stock a3 IM and put your stock muffler on. you will see a another big difference like i did! jeff evens told me the rbc is no good for these motors becuse you don't take advantage of it unless you reving about 8,000rpm.

i was going to get a rbc, instead it would be best to get a prc i believe it is called or a TSX IM. im just going to add a power plenum to my a3 im.

id like to see the actual difference with it since you have it on.
    you're right--from what i understand the tsx im would definitely be the most beneficial towards my setup for the mid range. the rbc was more of an impulse buy, waiting on the rest of my parts (im not going to lie about it). wouldnt the added necessary air of the extra .4 liters still make the rbc beneficial in my setup? what about with the incoming header and exhaust i am waiting for? i've been busy, so i haven't had the time to read in on proper runner lengths and plenum sizes and so on and so forth. any input would be appreciated, as id hate to try to take that manifod off--it was quite a pain in the ass to fit in lol

the bcrh i herd is very good but the springs that hold the pipe that goes to the midpipe breaks sometimes without notice. its a nice peice tho. with the exhust. i had a hks and when i put my new motor in the midpipe hit the floor. i just made a custom 2 1/2 exhaust using my stock muffler. its quiet and give me better torque curve. i went with the bigger piping and then added my stock more restrictive muffler to balance it out.

works well. just sell your rbc. the rbc in our application may even make you lose power. from what i was explained, the runners are supposed to be long for us 2.4 people. that power plenum will do that job to me a3 IM. i would just do that. the tsx need mods because of DBW setup. thats all i can think of now!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PAPITUYO326 View Post
    I switched motors mainly because I was planning a 400 hp turbo setup. The k24a1 takes boost alot better in stock form than the k24a2. I scrapped the idea after I had already selling my k24a2. Decided to do a K-EF build and keep the EP relatively mild. I managed to get some nice N/A upgrades to go along with the k24a1.

They both have the same potential IMO. The k20z3 head>k24a2 head, but the k24a2 block >k24a1 block (stock for stock). It evens out.
    IC. I really need to get dyno'd to see what kinda power I'm making.... I have a 2.5 inch custom exhaust with the stock muffler and a shorty HP header and the TSX IM. Feels great. I would like to find a long tube header with cat but really have no idea who makes one and if it would fit my setup. (k24a2 + Progress front sway)

The ITR factory header looks appealing but finding one is probably not gonna happen. Any advise? I do want to keep a cat and keep things quiet.

I also wonder if the stock muffler is holding things back much...

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Angle View Post
    IC. I really need to get dyno'd to see what kinda power I'm making.... I have a 2.5 inch custom exhaust with the stock muffler and a shorty HP header and the TSX IM. Feels great. I would like to find a long tube header with cat but really have no idea who makes one and if it would fit my setup. (k24a2 + Progress front sway)

The ITR factory header looks appealing but finding one is probably not gonna happen. Any advise? I do want to keep a cat and keep things quiet.

i have almost the exact exhaust setup, 2 1/2 custom piping with stock muffler. man i say keep it on. my car woke up when i put it on. thats for sure. how did you get the txs mani to work properly. i know it has to be modded.

i have almost the exact exhaust setup, 2 1/2 custom piping with stock muffler. man i say keep it on. my car woke up when i put it on. thats for sure. how did you get the txs mani to work properly. i know it has to be modded.
    Ya..It works really good now and I just know if I change the muffler I will hate the noise... I think your right... Unless I find a long tube header with cat, I'll probably just keep it the way it is...

I guess I'm just looking for something to mod..

The TSX manifold just needs a karcepts adapter. It already incorporates the water port so it's perfect really. When I switched from the PRB manifold to the TSX manifold there was a really big jump in torque and the top end never changed. I really love it.

Ya..It works really good now and I just know if I change the muffler I will hate the noise... I think your right... Unless I find a long tube header with cat, I'll probably just keep it the way it is...

I guess I'm just looking for something to mod..

The TSX manifold just needs a karcepts adapter. It already incorporates the water port so it's perfect really. When I switched from the PRB manifold to the TSX manifold there was a really big jump in torque and the top end never changed. I really love it.
    hmmm, would you know where i could get one cheap? tsx mani? i was thinking of getting a power plenum for my a3 im to mimic it so i dont know now..

hmmm, would you know where i could get one cheap? tsx mani? i was thinking of getting a power plenum for my a3 im to mimic it so i dont know now..
    Maybe on k20a.org... Also, if you email Brian at Karcepts, he may have a line on one. He is extremely helpful.

http://www.karcepts.com/

Maybe on k20a.org... Also, if you email Brian at Karcepts, he may have a line on one. He is extremely helpful.

http://www.karcepts.com/

ok will do. thanks alot!

ok...just throwing it out there, but don't the new si's have an 8000 rpm redline? if they only make power outside of that, why would they place it on the car?
    i don't doubt anyone's remarks, and if i knew that the tsx im would fit our cars, i probably wouldve gotten one, but i would like more elaboration on the fact that that im wouldnt make power past 7000--i would love to do some summer research reading (yes im a dork)

With the rbc you will lose some tq and gain some responsiveness from my understanding. I rocked out the ep IM and the rbc and personally like the rbc better. I pulled an extra 1/2 car on my buddy after swapping the IM out for the rbc(several races before and after from a roll with same outcome before and after swap). If you are boosting then get the rbc since you wont need as much tq(you'll have traction problems anyway). All around though the tsx is gonna be the best although I've never tried it. Tsx manifold only needs the karcepts adapter and it is ready to bolt up

You could always save up and have SSR (six sigma racing) make you a custom header. they make great stuff. I had one a while back. Doug has one fitted with a custom cat too. Really quality pieces.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

any vids? i wanna see i wanna see! lol, so many people do this swap but post NO vids, you gotta show off the goods.

in due time i will try to post pics and vids...right now im taking summer classes, and im a bit tied up. i should be able to put something up around july 4th. sorry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information