Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ephatch member

midpipe or headers?

what do you guys think will give me a greater power gain. a midpipe or headers?

our car only has one header, not two
    if you don't want to attract police attention just go for the midpipe

ephatch member
    thanks for that correction but you didnt answer my question

Quote Originally Posted by pjnoto View Post
    thanks for that correction but you didnt answer my question
    Pretty simple answer if you search!

your answer is a header

but really on a stock engine messing with the exhaust isn't going to give you much gains. You will lose power in the low range and gain some in the middle to high range. So if you are doing stop and go driving, mostly, then you will be slower than stock. You will be a lot louder though.

simple...header

I say get a smaller midpipe and that would benefit you more than anything else....seriously if you search you will see how.:sad:

I <3 whitechapel illusionsoflife's Avatar
    you will loose power. trust me. down low power that is. i got a header and test pipe cause my stock header was screwed and my cat was cracked. i got a megan header and test pipe for less than 100 both parts used. car is so freaking loud im so scared of getting pulled over but i havnt. its been a month. but once the turbo goes on im going back to my custom 70mm exhaust straight to stock cat. really quiet.

lol...of course test pipe, mid pipe to 70mm exhaust is going to be loud on a n/a...

Uhh.....I don't know what everyone is talking about with reguards to the header. I used to run a DCRH with the stock exhaust and it was not lound AT ALL. Not even raspy. It sounded pretty good actually. You people are nuts, have any of you even heard a race header on a stock cat back?

If you decide to change anything in your exhaust to increase flow you will lose some of the bottom end. This was the first thing I noticed when I first drove it after installation, but the gains up top were more than enough to make up for it. I say get the race header. DCRH makes a pretty decent budget header that gives good gains. The OBX RSX spec header is cheap and performs really well too, but you will need an RSX spec midpipe to be able to run it.

I ran a Jackson Racing race header with stock catback for about a year(+JRSC-R). The car sounded great. It was quiet, and just a little deeper than stock. When I got a Neuspeed cat back to go with the header, that is when things started to get loud, and to be honest, my butt dyno couldn't tell the difference.

does anyone have a clip of between the difference in noises of stock and a headerbeing put on...i plan on buying this...

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Muge...-Euro-R-53698#

and i'm curious will it make a humongous difference in noise? I am going to put the twin loop mugen on as well...

i think you should go midpipe

Quote Originally Posted by wishbear View Post
    i think you should go midpipe
    i vote midpipe as well because if i did get a header (hopefully it would be a race header because the shorties are worthless) it wouldn't help any because u would still hav e bottle neck at the midpipe. there is a saying "ur exhaust is only as big as the smallest part". so get a midpipe now, then get a race header after. i would rather have my exhaust go "small to big" then "big to small"

i just saw the link u posted for the mugen header.....s $2300 header is gonna do SHIT on an a3 lol. for less than 2k u could get a hytech custom made (best header u can get) but that would even be a HUGE waste on the a3. i would just get a DCRH if i were you.
    Last edited by shadowmd; 08-11-2008 at 09:50 AM.

$2300 should go towards swap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information