Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ephatch member

TYPE R Sideskirts (fiberglass)

Did anyone personally install these things?
    I tried to fit them and they seemed to be a little too short. I actually had to use a jack on both ends to get it on. After I finally got them on the part near the rear wheel (bigger than the rest) would not lay down flush. It seems like they are not made perfectly.

The bodyshops nearby wouldn't touch it so it just lay collecting dust..now it's been over a year and I'm thinking about having it painted and put on again.
    The question is how is it done???

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEP9 View Post
    Did anyone personally install these things?
    I tried to fit them and they seemed to be a little too short. I actually had to use a jack on both ends to get it on. After I finally got them on the part near the rear wheel (bigger than the rest) would not lay down flush. It seems like they are not made perfectly.

The bodyshops nearby wouldn't touch it so it just lay collecting dust..now it's been over a year and I'm thinking about having it painted and put on again.
    The question is how is it done???
    Pretty much all the fiberglass body parts will need at least some modification to fit and even then they may not lay perfect. Oem hfp or JDM should fit perfect though since it's urethane.

ephatch member
    What kind of modification?

What kind of modification?
    Well, cutting trimming and laying new glass in some places if required. It can get expensive thus the reason why many just opt for the Jdm stuff, all you have to do is prep and paint that stuff. Fits perfect.

i would never buy a fiberglass piece that requires cutting and laying new glass... i understand the trimming part but if you gotta hack to get it to fit, return it!

ephatch member
    Seems like guys that can can or will do that kind of thing are hard to find.

Check around boat repair places, those guys can do amazing things. Most auto body places rarely if at all deal in fiberglass since most oem parts are either plastic metal or urethane.

Sucess comes in cans Yo_KyleEP3's Avatar
    i hate replica's FTL and i cant go jdm im too poor. isnt there anyone that didnt have to much of a problem with em?

mine when i had them went on tight but they fit fine. i think its all how u put them on.

ephatch member
    Yes I did manage to get them on with the aid of a jack on one side of the piece and a jack on the other. I think I had to lift up each side an inch at a time, then do the other..rinse and repeat until it was in place. Then it looked OK except that the piece near the back that rises up the car's side didn't want to sit flush. I thought some professional might be able to get it ok, but after I couldn't find anyone who seemed to have a clue I gave up on it...

Boat repair eh? Thanks for the advice.

Yes I did manage to get them on with the aid of a jack on one side of the piece and a jack on the other. I think I had to lift up each side an inch at a time, then do the other..rinse and repeat until it was in place. Then it looked OK except that the piece near the back that rises up the car's side didn't want to sit flush. I thought some professional might be able to get it ok, but after I couldn't find anyone who seemed to have a clue I gave up on it...

Boat repair eh? Thanks for the advice.
    i got mine on by hand with a buddy and that peice i got to stay fush with some 3m tape.

ephatch member
    3M double-sided? yeah...tried that, didn't work.

3M double-sided? yeah...tried that, didn't work.
    yea i had to put a couple layers on to make it stick u just gotta make sure u use like a hair dryer or heat gun and warm it up real nice b4 u stick it on.

piece of shit would not fit no matter what i did including: excessive sanding and grind until the fiberglass was almost going through. Piece of shit, I broke the little piece that holds a screw in the front.

If you're looking to get rid of it. Lemme know I'll give it a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information