Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Would you rock these tires for a dd?

These tires aren't cheap, but would look awesome, even on stock rims imo. Are these even legal to use on the street?

Yokohama ADVAN A048

Last edited by silver hatch; 06-17-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Please tell me your drunk. It would help if you posted what type of tires they are, and they dont look like they would be legal to me.

Banned
    Sorry, fixed.

^ i think that they would look good, i would never be able to use them (just from looking at them i can tell this i havent actually researched that tire) in MO, too much rain here. Any amount of rain and you are SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by silver hatch View Post
    These tires aren't cheap, but would look awesome, even on stock rims imo. Are these even legal to use on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by liquid cooled View Post
    Please tell me your drunk. It would help if you posted what type of tires they are, and they dont look like they would be legal to me.
    Yokohama Advan A048 - DOT approved.

On the street, you'd probably go deaf from the noise...which is good since you won't be able to hear the screams of agony from your passengers as you hit the first puddle that would send your car careening into an oncoming bus.

those are DOT-R tires, used for the track mainly my friend. You would definately not want to drive them on daily especially in the rain.

The ADVAN A048 is Yokohama's DOT Legal Competition tire designed for the drivers of vehicles who participate in autocross competition, track schools, lapping days and circuit-type club racing. The ADVAN A048 was developed from Yokohama racing technology for applications that include the 18-inch rim diameter fitments used on the Porsche 911, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster and others.
    On the outside, the ADVAN A048 molds a race-ready compound that provides dry grip over a wide range of temperatures into a 6/32-inch deep, "single block" tread design that increases tread stiffness and features a wide center area that stays in continuous contact with the track to enhance cornering stability, on-center feel and steering response. As the tire's outer shoulder tread wears from hard cornering, the ADVAN A048's directional tread design and symmetric internal construction allows worn tires to be remounted "inside-out" on their wheels to help prolong their life. We suggest shaving ADVAN A048 tires to between 3/32" to 4/32" of tread depth for competitive road racing.

On the inside, the ADVAN A048 features twin steel belts that are reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon cap plies and belt edge strips. The belt package is placed on top of a rounded casing design that allows the tire to predictably handle transitions from straight-line travel to high g-force cornering and back.

Yokohama ADVAN A048 tires feature sidewall styling with subtle black letters. They are available in selected 40, 35 and 30 series, Y speed rated sizes for 18" diameter wheels.
    Last edited by phister; 06-18-2008 at 12:07 AM.

no, and not evnen because of the noise. for the kind of money you spend on them, just using them for street driving would be a waste. you will never use them to their full potential.

ive used a048's before for the street just for fun but never just because of the looks!

May wind Oct. rain
    I have a shaved set. However, DDs should never use R compound tires. If the tires are not heat cycled properly or even reach operating temperature (which you never will on a street), then they will start to crack. Even hitting a puddle of water may cause you to spin out given certain conditions.

When new, you could dd them no problem, wet ratings and reviews here (link below) show that they are rated at least good in the rain.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....AN+A048#Survey
    However as they wear and the grooves decrease, they could get a little "greasy" in the rain.
    Better, great in rain or dry, cheaper, and longer lasting, would be these (what I have).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Potenza+RE-01R

Legendary Ephatcher ep3moschini's Avatar
    Ive used them on the streets. . . there useless in the rain. lol

1967 Firebird. . . Yeah its alright

Legendary Ephatcher

广州本田
    If i had a trillion dollars i'll use them for DD.

As others have said, it's certainly legal to drive with them on the street. But they won't last very long at all and they will be loud and uncomfortable.

There is a white EP in our auto park that daily's a set of bronze Volk TE-37's with Advan AO48's. Brings it to work every day so far since i have seem him and there has been a couple really good thunderstorms and its still driven to work.

You could run them.... assuming you'd like to buy another set in say 5,000 miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information