Close

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

" The Projector Fog"

Okay, I've been away from this site for awhile now because of things but I'm back and I did promise to do this write-up for all those who are interested in the e46 projector fog. If you guys like HID then these are the fogs for you. I'm against glare problems such as just throwing pnp kits into the halogen housing and calling it a day. I'd rather retrofit so that my HID is at its most effective state. Well enough talking about my mission statement...LOL here's the promised write-up.

Tools Needed:

1. Dremel with bits
    2. 1" screws with threads ( qty: 6 )
    3. Ruler
    4. Screw Driver
    5. Creative thinking!

Fog Light:

1. E46 bmw projector fog

2. Oem aftermarket fog light housing. ( the plastic part and bracket only. lense can be donated or sold)

Procedures:

1. Take the bumper off... You will need to know how to do this as I'm not going to go over this detail because there are many write-ups on it already. You must also have the fog light harness installed pre-hand in order for you projectors to work. Again I'm not going to be going over this detail.

2. With the bumper off, the first thing that you will have to do is relocate the front hornse on both sides of the bumper. When I did mines I didn't realize that they were sitting directly behind my fog lights and scratched the crap out of them.

This is the drivers side, do the same to the passenger side as well.

3. Take the projector out of its housing by unscrewing these screws.

4. Once the projector is out, figure which housing is drivers side and which is passenger side. Once done the measure the oem housing with the bmw housing for the incision.

This is where I had to cut in order to fit properly. You want to make sure that you can still adjust the housing just incase it is aimed incorrectly.

5. Now mark you drilling location as I have done here.

Note* see the blue line, that's my horizontal line of refference. This line is determined by lining the set of mounting holes with each other so that they are parallel.

6. Once securely screwed in, gape the projector mounting holes as such to allow rotational adjustments.

7. Splice the wires so that your projectors can have power.

8. Repeat steps 2-6 with the passenger side.

9. Make the necessary adjustments so that your fogs will line up horizontally parallel to the ground. Do this on a flat surface to avoid crappy outputs.

this one is at the wall.

This one is near the bumper. I did this to make sure that they are the same height to ensure that my projectors will have a long travel parallel to the ground and not in the air or just a hotspot on the ground.

heres a good example of how the output will look to oncoming traffic if you don't aim your projectors correctly or have PNP(plug and play) kits.

Thats a big NO NO because you could blind mothers with srollers on the side walks.

here how the output should look.

This looks like the projectors are off but thats just one of the characteristics of a projector. It should emit 60% of its light on the ground and away from the air.

Finally once you are complete with everything this is how it should look.

Halogen (T-Virus): I did these awhile back with just halogens and T- virus loved them so I sold them to him. Now remember that these are just halogens not HID.

The light disperse was awesome even for halogen alone. Now go and have fun with them at night.
    Last edited by MOOGEN; 10-27-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Here are some more recent pics of my current setup.

Clear lense E46 with HID. Fog alone only. I'm about 100ft away from the projected wall and the width exceedes the building.

with low beam

alone:

with low beam

These projectors accept the hid kits really well so have fun experimenting with them. Enjoy the pics!
    Last edited by MOOGEN; 06-18-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Excellent work and write up. I'm impressed...
    Mel

Thanks OOGY!

they look great! i wants!

Hey Moogen can these e46 lights be used or do they have to be OE?

BTW what front bumper is that? I like the lip but not so much the grill.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-04...spagenameZWDVW

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    I can't see any pictures........darnit!!!!

*Installing my/your retrofits this month man. I'll shoot you pics after they are done.

Also the link I posted above how do I know if it has clear bulbs? I do not like the dirty yellows look.

Quote Originally Posted by Da90Ls View Post
    Hey Moogen can these e46 lights be used or do they have to be OE?

BTW what front bumper is that? I like the lip but not so much the grill.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-04...spagenameZWDVW
    yes, they can be used but the fog's shroud won't be chrome like mines LOL. The dirty look is because my camera at that moment sucked but it's actually really beautiful. It's just that blue hid and yellow lense makes green output so you kinda get the idea why I went that route.
    That bumper is the oem one witht he mugen lip and grill molded onto it. I also have a da 90. GS though.
    Last edited by MOOGEN; 06-18-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    I can't see any pictures........darnit!!!!

*Installing my/your retrofits this month man. I'll shoot you pics after they are done.
    finally! I they are gonna look great. Let me know if you want the diy pictures.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOOGEN View Post
    finally! I they are gonna look great. Let me know if you want the diy pictures.
    I've been waiting to install them with some help. 2004EP3HATCH is a big wiring lighting guy like yourself. I'm a wiring noob so I'm taking them to him.

The DIY pics would be cool again. When ephatch fell I lost them. Thanks very much again man!

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    I've been waiting to install them with some help. 2004EP3HATCH is a big wiring lighting guy like yourself. I'm a wiring noob so I'm taking them to him.

The DIY pics would be cool again. When ephatch fell I lost them. Thanks very much again man!
    hey John, I deleted the installation photos after I sent the headlights to you :boom: . I meant the photos of the making of those headlights. Sorry! Um its really simple to install them, I remembered labeling them so that it would be simple.

Yea my LS went through 1 auto tranny, 2 5speed trannys and 2 motors felt it was time to get rid of it for something newer and safer for my daughter. I mean it had literally nothing in it. Was a "race car" to be sarcastic that I built before I met my wife and when she got pregnant time to sell for the Ep.

They are alot alike though. What rpm Im at doing 80 in 5th for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Da90Ls View Post
    Yea my LS went through 1 auto tranny, 2 5speed trannys and 2 motors felt it was time to get rid of it for something newer and safer for my daughter. I mean it had literally nothing in it. Was a "race car" to be sarcastic that I built before I met my wife and when she got pregnant time to sell for the Ep.

They are alot alike though. What rpm Im at doing 80 in 5th for one.
    Man I totally agree with you on the da. Mine is also a 90 but I swapped the engine and tranny and it now has a similliar gear ratio to the b16. It's reving like 3500 at 75 and that sucks on the gas. This car is auto also.

theres been a surge of creative NICE diys. props !

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information