Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

mothers claybar vs meguiars claybar?

has anyone tried both? Which is better? I've used the mothers one and I like it. Just wondering what people think of the meguiars one. I was looking to buy the mothers one at walmart but then I saw the meguiars one. Any input is appreciated

ephatch member
    I used to own mostly professional detailing equipment and I only used this bar:

http://www.claymagic.net/

It worked great for me, but it's somewhat expensive. It worked better than the off-the-shelf bars, but I'd still say Meguiars is good.

Quote Originally Posted by RTE117 View Post
    I used to own mostly professional detailing equipment and I only used this bar:

http://www.claymagic.net/

It worked great for me, but it's somewhat expensive. It worked better than the off-the-shelf bars, but I'd still say Meguiars is good.
    how expensive was it and where can you buy them?

ephatch member
    I had the blue bar. You can find them on froogle.com or something online. They're probably under $30 now, but they used to be $40+.

Hmm I'll have to look into that one. I don't think I've ever seen it in any store, is it online order and specialty stores only?

first i bought mother's.

then i bought meguiar's because it came with 2 claybars

meguiar's worked pretty well.

Their site says it is sold in retail Autozones.

meguiars, if your not paying top top top tippy top dollar for your detail supplies, just buy something that walmarts not ashamed to sell.

anyways, you shouldnt have to claybar that often at all. maybe once

Right now I'm using Pinnacle Poly-ultra clay and it is by far my favorite, but at $20 a bar it isn't practical since it has to be bought online.

I've used the blue clay magic, meguiars clay, and the mothers clay bar, and the mothers and blue clay magic are pretty similar. The blue clay magic is more aggressive and at around $10 a bar at autozone it is probably the best value, and after that I would choose the mothers yellow clay bar since it is pretty easy to use and cost around $14. I was never to happy with the meguiars bar since it was really soft and sticky, so it would stick to the paint instead of it gliding over while picking up contaminates.

ephatch member
    As far as how aggressive the clay is the consumer line of Meguiars and Mothers, the strength is the same. Their Quick Detailers works great but Meguiars package includes a very nice large microfiber and a 2 clay bars in separate packages and a nice plastic case. Each will probably be good for two cars obviously depending on severeness of contaminates. (In Meguiars you get 2 more oz. of clay - but it's in two bars rather than one big one)

The mothers is big and is good for probably 3 cars it can be stored in a Ziploc bag just spray it with the provided quick detailer, do the same with the Meguiars.

That being said essentially you are getting the exact same thing just choose which brand your are loyal to; for me it's Meguiars or death.

And what Blackexcoupe said about the Meguiars being sticky and not gliding properly over the paint is pure user error. When using ANY clay bay you need to use quick detailer VERY liberally to avoid damaging the paint.
    Last edited by Breakep3; 06-18-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakep3 View Post
    And what Blackexcoupe said about the Meguiars being sticky and not gliding properly over the paint is pure user error. When using ANY clay bay you need to use quick detailer VERY liberally to avoid damaging the paint.
    I use plenty of lubricant when I clay its just the Meguiars would get stuck more often then any other clay I have used before, and it would leave streaks, but this was 2 or 3 years ago maybe things have changed?

ephatch member
    If the clay get's stuck at all then you lack sufficient lubricant, and are probably marring the paint. And about the streaking as with all quick detailers and clay bars when you are done with the panel you need to remove the remainder of the quick detailer off of the panel with a microfiber and their will be absolutely no streaking. Never let quick detailer dry on paint.

The consumer line of Meguiars clay bay has not changed formula wise since it was originally introduced in 1993. Although it's color and packaging has many times.

Über Geek
    I really need to do this an a full wax/polish to my car and keep it maintained. I have so neglected the car the past 3 years.

u dont have to claybar that often. i heard its even bad for your car to claybar alot. i just do it before shows / meets or when i feel stuff in my paint.

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikhsoj View Post
    u dont have to claybar that often. i heard its even bad for your car to claybar alot. i just do it before shows / meets or when i feel stuff in my paint.
    Twice a year for an average car, but I live in Texas so the conditions aren't as bad as other places.

I wouldn't clay more than 4 times a year. I would just do twice. Once before winter kicks in and once after winter is over.

Claying often isn't necessarily bad for your car but improper claying will cause paint marring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information