Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've used the Meguiars, but honestly the Clay Magic kit is WORLDS better and cheaper. $12 at Autozone.

I just used the Mothers Claybar and it worked great! Took out all those nasty swirl marks from years of drying the car with crappy towels. From what I've read and have been told, claybar will not harm your clear coat, and you can use it as many times as you want, but most cars only need it once a year as long as the finish is cleaned and mantained regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by spike 03EP3 View Post
    I just used the Mothers Claybar and it worked great! Took out all those nasty swirl marks from years of drying the car with crappy towels.
    I thought swirl marks were etched into your clear coat. Doesn't the clay bar just remove everything above it though? Is it a liquid clay bar or something?

Quote Originally Posted by JTilly View Post
    I thought swirl marks were etched into your clear coat. Doesn't the clay bar just remove everything above it though? Is it a liquid clay bar or something?
    The claybar is just like regular modeling clay you might have used in art class in highschool, of course it's a differnt material.

The claybar by itself didn't remove the swirl marks, but prepared the clear coat for the Carnuba Cleaner Wax that comes with the kit. Used by themselves, it won't take them out, but together it does. All I know is I have no more swirl marks and my paint has that nice wet look.

im gona do the clay for the first time this friday any suggestions

Just follow the instructions and take your time. After the claybar step you won't notice much difference, when you apply the cleaner wax and remove it is when you'll see and feel the difference. It took me about 3 hours to do my car including washing it, I only did one body panel ay a time though.

i used turtle wax ICE liquid clay bar and ICE wax. i dont think its not that good any suggestion? sorry for going off topic

Quote Originally Posted by SwA View Post
    i used turtle wax ICE liquid clay bar and ICE wax. i dont think its not that good any suggestion? sorry for going off topic
    So you're saying it's good.

Seriously, I've never liked Turtle Wax products, but I can't really comment on their claybar because I've never used it. All I know is that the Mothers Claybar works really well, and is really easy to use, the carnuba cleaner wax is one of the easiest waxes I've worked with.

Quote Originally Posted by gutierrez626 View Post
    im gona do the clay for the first time this friday any suggestions
    I did mine this past week with meguirers. just just alot of lube and you'll be fine. I put on a coat of the turtle wax ice afterwards. They both got the job done for me the paint is baby soft and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by EP-solo View Post
    first i bought mother's.

then i bought meguiar's because it came with 2 claybars

meguiar's worked pretty well.
    LOL, thats how I would of looked at it too.

so i did it man so much crap came off of my car and that was after the wash i was really surprised... but after the claybar u could already see the blue coming through on the nhbp and then after i did the wax it just shined.. im very pleased... took me about three hours from when i washed till i finished the interior..ooh i used the meguiar's clay bar kit...im pleased with that..

PPG Paint Refinsih! JDMtunerEP3's Avatar
    Both make decent clay bars but 3m has the professional grade that should be available to the public now and that stuff is sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackexcoupe View Post
    Right now I'm using Pinnacle Poly-ultra clay and it is by far my favorite, but at $20 a bar it isn't practical since it has to be bought online.

I've used the blue clay magic, meguiars clay, and the mothers clay bar, and the mothers and blue clay magic are pretty similar. The blue clay magic is more aggressive and at around $10 a bar at autozone it is probably the best value, and after that I would choose the mothers yellow clay bar since it is pretty easy to use and cost around $14. I was never to happy with the meguiars bar since it was really soft and sticky, so it would stick to the paint instead of it gliding over while picking up contaminates.
    Very nice suggestions, i may try the blue clay magic since you say it is the best value

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by spike 03EP3 View Post
    The claybar is just like regular modeling clay you might have used in art class in highschool, of course it's a differnt material.

The claybar by itself didn't remove the swirl marks, but prepared the clear coat for the Carnuba Cleaner Wax that comes with the kit. Used by themselves, it won't take them out, but together it does. All I know is I have no more swirl marks and my paint has that nice wet look.

Actually the cleaner wax is just hiding the majority of the swirls in the paint. The cleaners in the wax aren't abrasive enough (especially by hand) to level the clear coat that much. To remove swirls you need a abrasive polish like Menzerna IP or SIP, or 106FF or 106FA (last two are more of a finishing polish). When the wax wears off you'll see what i mean when the swirls are back. Step up to one of these products or anything in the Meg's Pro Line, Wolfgang, Poorboys, etc, and a FLex or PC you'll be able to clear up those swirls.

mother's FTW!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information