Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tein SS question...

Ok i have tein SS coilovers on my car and there all the way down in the front and about half in the back, if i wanted to go alittle lower would it be possible to buy shorter springs, or even remove the locking collars? Im lookin for suggestions guys so tell me what some of you have done.

you will just end up blowing the struts or it will not last.

广州本田
    You do not want to remove the collars, and going that low your going to almost no more shock travel, very bad.

Shorter springs will likely be stiffer from TEIN. Last time i looked i remember them offering replacement springs of differing rates... but dont remember if there was a length or ID/OD spec mentioned.

I dont see why you couldnt surface grind the spring shorter. You arent using the OEM spring seats with the molded spring bushings. Cutting the spring shorter would move the location of the end of the coil, and where it rests in the seat. Since the TEIN springs are surface ground, it shouldnt matter if you cut some length off the coil. It would be a little work... but it would be FREE. lol

Thanks for all the responses guys... I just see alot of ep's that are lower than mine and im dumped all the way. I really dont wanna buy a new setup so thats why i ask if i could just alter something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Shorter springs will likely be stiffer from TEIN. Last time i looked i remember them offering replacement springs of differing rates... but dont remember if there was a length or ID/OD spec mentioned.

I dont see why you couldnt surface grind the spring shorter. You arent using the OEM spring seats with the molded spring bushings. Cutting the spring shorter would move the location of the end of the coil, and where it rests in the seat. Since the TEIN springs are surface ground, it shouldnt matter if you cut some length off the coil. It would be a little work... but it would be FREE. lol
    do not ever cut springs.

Quote Originally Posted by J-SpecHatch View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys... I just see alot of ep's that are lower than mine and im dumped all the way. I really dont wanna buy a new setup so thats why i ask if i could just alter something.
    just so you know being "dumped" will hurt the performance rather than make it better. plus dont forget about the steering rack creak.

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers4321 View Post
    do not ever cut springs.

OK pops. I promise not to. Wheres my allowance BTW?

get air bags

true story

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers4321 View Post
    do not ever cut springs.

just so you know being "dumped" will hurt the performance rather than make it better. plus dont forget about the steering rack creak.
    Well im not really planning on racing or anything so performance is whatever, and my rack has never made a sound and I have been dumped for over twenty thousand miles on a 2002. Keep the comments to yourself please, unless there usefull of course.

Well im not really planning on racing or anything so performance is whatever, and my rack has never made a sound and I have been dumped for over twenty thousand miles on a 2002. Keep the comments to yourself please, unless there usefull of course.
    He was trying to help you your just too stupid to realize that hes telling you useful information.

You will destroy the coilovers if you go lower, they are designed for certain spring rates, and ride heights.

If you dont have side skirts look into getting some it will lower your vehicles visual perspective without sacrificing your handling.

Swift Spring (http://www.swiftsprings.com/index.html) makes awesome replacement coilover springs. You get to choose your spring rate and everything. Or you can go with Eibach coilover springs too, eiither company is top notch IMO

Quote Originally Posted by phister View Post
    Swift Spring (http://www.swiftsprings.com/index.html) makes awesome replacement coilover springs. You get to choose your spring rate and everything. Or you can go with Eibach coilover springs too, eiither company is top notch IMO
    Thanks for the info bro... Ill look into these.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid cooled View Post
    He was trying to help you your just too stupid to realize that hes telling you useful information.

You will destroy the coilovers if you go lower, they are designed for certain spring rates, and ride heights.

If you dont have side skirts look into getting some it will lower your vehicles visual perspective without sacrificing your handling.
    The title of this thread isent, "Will I fuck up my coilovers if..." so again thats not useful at all to me. Oh and im not stupid for any reasons so stfu. Thanks.

The title of this thread isent, "Will I fuck up my coilovers if..." so again thats not useful at all to me. Oh and im not stupid for any reasons so stfu. Thanks.
    he was just trying to help. you said you weren't interested in buying a new set-up, but if you break your current set-up, you would need to buy new suspension. regardless of whether or not you want looks or performance we assume you still want the ability to drive your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post

OK pops. I promise not to. Wheres my allowance BTW?

hey if you wanna go and do that fine by me. but when you come back and complain how shitty the ride is or get into and accident because of it i dont wanna see a thread or post from you crying about it.

sorry to tell you but he is right. by going to low you run the chance of destroying your dampers. then you are out big. the shock body is only ment to travel so much. but it is your time and money so do what you want.
    Last edited by bmyers4321; 06-23-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information