Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY: UKDM Type R tail lights and bumper removal (7/31 - Pics added)

Mel's DIY recovered from pre-crash ephatch.
    Pics will be relinked soon.

First off thanks to 2 good friends for hooking me up :mgriggn:.
    (and to jimmyjames for saving the DIY)

The following are basic instructions to swap UKDM tails into an 02-03 SI. I'm sure it's similar in 04-05 models but I have yet to see the back of their tail lights.

Parts needed:
    2 - UKDM tails
    2 - UKDM bulb sockets (for the amber blinker)
    2 - UKDM male harness adaptors with inserts
    2 - Orange bulbs
    2 - Tail light gaskets (old ones can be used again if necessary)

Tools needed:
    8 mm socket
    10 mm socket
    small ratchet
    8 mm box wrench (ratcheting if you have one! It makes it 10x easier)
    2 flathead screwdrivers
    1 phillips screwdriver
    1 floor jack (makes it easier)
    1 tack/needle
    1 pair of pliers
    1 blanket (optional)
    1 can of PB Blaster (optional)

Before (My OEM tails were tinted):

To reduce the chance of scratches, start off with a clean bumper (I didn't feel like washing mine at the moment ). Let's start off on the passengers side. Jack up the car on the passenger side rear tire jack point. Remove the 8mm/phillips head screw holding the bumper. It's up in the wheel well:

Next is the other inner phillips screw as shown below:

After removing both screws, repeat on the opposite side. Keep the jack under after completing the second side. It's give you a tad more room for the next step. Get under the rear bumper and you'll see 2 clips that will resemble the following:

Take 2 screw drivers and slowly pry under the 2 slots on the clip. If you slowly rock the heads of both screwdrivers back and forth you can remove the clips without breaking them. If they're corroded or covered in grime just spray them with some PB Blaster. It will loosen the dirt and make them 10 times easier to remove. Be careful as the heads crack off easily.

Proceed to open the hatch. Remove the 2 silver covers with a flathead as shown below. They have a small slot for the head to fit in ( ):

Removing the cover:

Cover gone:

Grab your ratchet and 10mm socket. Remove both bolts (1 under each cover):

The bumper is now ready to come off. Lay the blanket on the ground below the bumper. It will keep you from scratching/scuffing it up. Start on one corner (drivers side in this case) and firmly pull out as shown below:

Once it pops off one side it comes off in a hurry so take your time and be careful. It's clipped in under the tails and at the corners (press fit). Slowly pull it backward and over to the opposing side. It should come off with ease. If it gets hung up on the opposing wheel well just push it that way. Grasp the bulb socket and spin counter clockwise to remove it. Repeat on the other side.

Put the bumper in a safe place where it won't fall over or get damaged. Keep it on the blanket. On to the tail lights...

There are 2 10 mm nuts under each tail light that will need to be removed. It's easier if you just do one side at a time. Remove the 2 nuts from the metal bracket as shown below:

Look inside the hatch and remove the plastic panel behind the tail light. It's easiest to use a flathead screwdriver to do so. Just be careful so that you don't cause any scrapes in the plastic:

In this pic the cover is off and the 3 gold colored nuts are visible. They will all need to be removed. Ignore my wiring as it had been modified in the past. Your scheme will look different as far as bulb placement is concerned.

I used a ratcheting box wrench to make things 10x easier. Otherwise, you'll only be able to fit a small ratchet on one of them. The 2 inner ones are far to tight and would require a box wrench if nothing else is available. Loosen them and only remove them with your fingers. Otherwise, you'll drop one.

8 mm wrench on the top one (Biggest PIA):

8 mm socket on the innermost one:

8 mm wrench on the outermost one:
    How to properly use Apostrophes
    The rev limiter is not meant to be used as a shift light

Now, unscrew all 3 of the bulb housings counter clockwise and then pull them out. Make a mental note of which one was what (blinker, tail light and reverse). If need be, put a strip of masking tape on each one to signify what they are/where.

Now, pull off the OEM tail light. Remove the metal bracket on the bottom (one phillips screw) and screw it onto the UKDM model.

Set the tail lights aside. Now, onto the bulb harness swap. Please, do not cut your wires! Mine are cut due to the fact that I had played with the wiring and added an extra blinker bulb. I repeat, do not cut your wiring!

Make sure the vehicle is off and the blinkers are not on. Grab the blinker socket and remove the male clip from the back of it. Set the USDM bulb socket aside. Grab the male clip and a flat head screwdriver. Slowly pry the backside of it open as shown:

Hold the USDM clip with one hand. Look under the wired metal inserts (positive and negative) and you will see a small plastic tab holding them in place. Push the thumb tack in from the front and push the plastic away from the metal inserts. You can then remove the inserts. Just be sure to remember what side they were on to maintain polarity.

Now, grab the white UKDM clip and slide in the wired metal inserts from the back side.

Once they're in, squeeze on the small plastic clip piece. It holds the wires/metal inserts in place. It only fits in one way. I ended up using minimal pressure with a small set of pliers.

You're now ready to put the tail light on. Hold it up near the sockets so that you can figure out where everything will be going.

- Top/circular hole is now the brake light.
    - Amber bulb will now be your blinker and go in the socket shown above (the only one that's in).
    - Reverse will remain in the same.

Spin the bulb sockets in now as it's easer than when the tail light is mounted. Line up the small reddish plastic tab on the outside of the tail light housing to the hole in the body. Slowly push the tail light on while lining everything else up. Loosely put on the 2 external 10 mm nuts (metal bracket) and the 3 interior 8 mm nuts. Be careful with the 8mm nuts as working space is minimal. Once everything is lined up, tighten all the screws. Be especially careful on the small 8 mm screws as they're molded into the plastic. Place the plastic cover back on.

Test the lights (blinker/brake/reverse) and repeat on the other tail light.

Grab the bumper and pop in one side (by the wheel well). If it gets tough, spray some PB Blaster in the slot to make it easier. Be sure that the other side of the bumper isn't rubbing against the opposite side of the car as it will scratch it. Slowly follow the body lines of the bumper and press it directly under the tail lights. You'll hear it clip in. Be sure it's in the right spot - if it clips too low they'll be a gap. Continue to the other side and push in.

At this point I usually reach from underneath and spin the bumper lights in (clockwise - make sure the car is up in the air a bit as it's much easier).

Replace:
    2 plastic bumper clips
    2 10 mm bolts near the hatch opening
    2 silver plastic covers
    2 black phillips screws (one in each wheel well)
    2 Phillips/8 mm screws (one in each wheel well / top corner)

You're done! Enjoy the new lights

Lights on:

Amber turn signal on:

Butt shots with ambers on:

How to properly use Apostrophes
    The rev limiter is not meant to be used as a shift light

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!
    Mel

Am I the only one who can't see the pics?

nope...

I can't see it either. and I need the pics. I plan on doing this install either this week or next week.

Sorry guys, this was my old DIY that JJ was nice enough to save repost for me. I just uploaded the pics again and rehosted them. They should work now.
    Mel

thanks mel!!!

:rock:
    Mel

Awesome....Thanks to JJ and Oogy for getting this thread back.
    I put the phat in Ephatch.

Mel rocks! Thanks for posting up the pics.

sweet deals! now who can tel me where to get the rear fog sw

Quote Originally Posted by frm_808 View Post
    sweet deals! now who can tel me where to get the rear fog sw
    Oddysey blinker arm.
    Mel

i thought there was a seperate sw like the fog lights?

The arm has one built in IIRC. You just need to wire in a relay (I believe Doug/Talonracer has done this).

I think I may have one in the basement that's been hangiong around for years.
    Mel

Awesome. Where would one be able to get a pair of UKDM tails ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information