Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

carbon fiber hood question

i just picked up a carbon fiber hood, and i was reading that you are suppossed yo use hood pins, i was wondering if it is really necessary to use them.
    Do any of you guys with a carbon fibre hood use hood pins?

Also do you just wash and clean it like you would the rest of your car?

what kind of hood?
    Ed~

Hood pins are not necessary on carbon fiber hoods but sometimes are necessary for high speed applications. It also depends how the latch on the hood is built. Hood pins are mostly for extra protection in case the latch breaks off of the rivets that most hoods use. Furthermore,most people just use hood pins to look cool. But on the contrary they do have a use.

I would put extra attention towards the carbon fiber hood, such as making sure it always has a nice coat of wax on it, maybe clay-baring it pretty often and being very careful with the clear coat. I mean it is a carbon fiber hood, you should take care of it since you want it always to be glossy and have a deep shine so the carbon fiber really stands out.

i have a hatch, but i wash and wax it like the rest of the car. Its a year old now and still looks great.

thanks for the replys, but its a VIS carbon fiber hood.
    And what do you mean they arent necessary except for high speed how high of speed are we talking about.
    And im not sure but i dont think that hood pins are that expensive and they cant be that hard to put on so i guess i minus well right?

Quote Originally Posted by eternal135 View Post
    thanks for the replys, but its a VIS carbon fiber hood.
    And what do you mean they arent necessary except for high speed how high of speed are we talking about.
    like 3 digit speed fast. racing applications where the hood could possibly pop off the latch and slam into the windshield.

i have a VIS CF hood and no hood pins... been 2 years and nothing has happened (knock on wood). as long as you dont go super fast, you should be fine. i've only been up to 3 digit numbers like twice since i've had it.

i cruise 5 hours up to college at an average of 80, so VIS should def. not be a problem.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Moved...
    Mel

before putting it on I would take it to a paint shop and put an extra layer of clear coat on it, it'll add 3+ years to the hood. Thats what some cf companies recommend. CF hoods usually start to fade and oxidize regularly between 3-5 years so adding the extra coat will make it last maybe 7 years or more.

i take it up pretty fast sometimes like 125-135 which i know is not the smartest thing to do but do you think it will be ok at that speed because its not like im going that fast for extended periods of time.

and thats what i was going to do about taking it to the shop because its kind of beat up and it just needs a new clearcoat, so does it need to be resanded and then reclearcoated or just a new clearcoat, and whats the most you would pay a shop to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by eternal135 View Post
    i take it up pretty fast sometimes like 125-135 which i know is not the smartest thing to do but do you think it will be ok at that speed because its not like im going that fast for extended periods of time.
    well the two times i've gone up to highspeeds (probably the last since i got caught the last time i did that) with the CF hood, i reached 120... but really, i dont think it matters whether you're crusing at that speed or just reaching it and slowing down, if the latch on it sucks, then its gonna break lol.

but i have a VIS and it's fine, so i'd assume the same for yours... but no gurantees.

ok ill just hope for the best but how much would you pay to have someone reclearcoat it?

Quote Originally Posted by phister View Post
    before putting it on I would take it to a paint shop and put an extra layer of clear coat on it, it'll add 3+ years to the hood. Thats what some cf companies recommend. CF hoods usually start to fade and oxidize regularly between 3-5 years so adding the extra coat will make it last maybe 7 years or more.
    Thats good to know thanks for the heads up.

I have a vis cf hood and I do not use hood pins.
    I have actually never seen a CF hood fly up with no hood pins.
    I have however seen CF hoods using hood pins and not the oem latch fly up.
    There was a guy in a crx at the music city motorplex last year and his hood flew up at 90mph and he crashed into the other car when he slammed on the brakes and slid into the other guys lane.
    Darn drag racers.
    I did over 145(according to the speedometer, really more like 135ish cause the speedo is off by so much at that speed) with my CF hood and it did not fly up for the 14 seconds I was going that speed, or the 40 million hours it took me to get up to that speed
    And i dont want no lectures about driving fast, theres an 8 mile stretch of road in clarksville that they started building for a car factory which was never finished because they decided not to build the plant.

no lectures here driving fast is ok as long as your not weaving in and out of cars, but yea thats good to know about the hood, at least i wont worry anymore,

and is it easy to give it a new clearcoat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information