Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    ^ since when do LED put ouf lots of heat?
    they're colder than cold cathodes.
    You can purchase LED's with a 400 lumen rating.
    get 6 of them and you have brighter than HID.
    Although its not all aimed in the right place

What I meant was that the heat to output ratio is not really a good ratio in leds. That led your looking at is known as the cree and yes 400 lumen is alot and putting 6 does theoretically output 2400 lumens but a standard 4200k 35w hid set puts out 3200lm. But you are right about leds, unless they can be focused in a certain direction, they are not going to be usuable.

^ since when do LED put ouf lots of heat?
    they're colder than cold cathodes.
    You can purchase LED's with a 400 lumen rating.
    get 6 of them and you have brighter than HID.
    Although its not all aimed in the right place
    Jesus dude you just attempted to school us on Luxeon 3 watters and did not know that they needed a heatsink? Even NOT being overdriven, uh yeah, they get warm to say the least ;)

thanks Xenith Xenons!!!

2005 HONDA Civic 3-dr.

Low beam headlamp
    9006SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
    9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
    9006XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
    9006CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

High beam headlamp
    9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
    9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
    9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
    9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light
    168LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal
    992 (7440A)

Rear turn signal
    7506LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Tail light
    7528LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light
    7528LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

High mount stop light
    2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

License plate

Back up light
    7506LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker
    194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear sidemarker
    194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Map light

Dome light
    DE3175

Trunk/Cargo area

Idk about led headlights, if i did have the 04-05 headlight and harness though id think about getting those as the brights.

On the other hand, as much as i don't like ebay i know a guy that got a set of hid's from this guy on ebay and im actually very pleased with the results. Hes had them on for over 4 months now and they still look very good.
    I have a pair of Siemens/Phillips Hid's and his look pretty damn close to what mine are.... only 70$ idk i might get a set for my fogs and see how they go. I guess the pics this guy has on ebay are real pics of his hid's installed too.

http://stores.ebay.com/wholesale-hid...Q3amesstQQtZkm

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Jesus dude you just attempted to school us on Luxeon 3 watters and did not know that they needed a heatsink? Even NOT being overdriven, uh yeah, they get warm to say the least ;)
    a heatsink?
    wtf..
    I've been using them for ages in modded PC boxes and Unless it takes longer than the 20 minutes I work with them on to get hot, I'd hardly say they get anything more than "warm" as you call it.
    I'm sure they get warm, but cold cathodes get warm and these are not as hot as cold cathodes...
    Honestly, if these are hot, how hot is a headlight bulb, cause I've gotten blisters from headlight bulbs that I thought had cooled off after 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RollinCivic View Post
    Idk about led headlights, if i did have the 04-05 headlight and harness though id think about getting those as the brights.

On the other hand, as much as i don't like ebay i know a guy that got a set of hid's from this guy on ebay and im actually very pleased with the results. Hes had them on for over 4 months now and they still look very good.
    I have a pair of Siemens/Phillips Hid's and his look pretty damn close to what mine are.... only 70$ idk i might get a set for my fogs and see how they go. I guess the pics this guy has on ebay are real pics of his hid's installed too.

http://stores.ebay.com/wholesale-hid...Q3amesstQQtZkm

with HID its usually the bulb life that is a problem.
    Many dont even make the 150 hour mark

Quote Originally Posted by MOOGEN View Post
    What I meant was that the heat to output ratio is not really a good ratio in leds. That led your looking at is known as the cree and yes 400 lumen is alot and putting 6 does theoretically output 2400 lumens but a standard 4200k 35w hid set puts out 3200lm. But you are right about leds, unless they can be focused in a certain direction, they are not going to be usuable.
    3200 is an ideal lumens rating for HID, many dont make it that high, especially aftermarket kits.
    also, for those who want really blue light, you can get more color at a higher brightness than many 6k or 8k hid kits.
    I would be more interested in 2 of these leds used as turn signals.

Now, an interesting thing to do for anyone who had some projector fogs available for an experiment would be to take one of these sticks with 3 leds on each end and mount it sideways in the cup, so that 3 are angled up and 3 are angled down and then place a small mirror diagonally against the cut off shield to reflect the other 3 leds back to the upper half of the cup so the light could escape over the cut off shield.
    It would be very inefficient, but much cheaper than HID for anyone with some spare circuit board and a soldering iron.
    Last edited by v1c10us; 06-25-2008 at 06:06 PM.

i dont understand the argument here. LEDs by design do not get "hot" of course they get warm as there is electrical energy supplied to them. that is the beauty of the LED no real heat.

oh and BTW thanks wiki. who writes this stuff???
    Research on DNA
    The DNA in salmon sperm has recently been discovered to amplify the effects and quality of a LED light.

a heatsink?
    wtf..
    I've been using them for ages in modded PC boxes and Unless it takes longer than the 20 minutes I work with them on to get hot, I'd hardly say they get anything more than "warm" as you call it.
    I'm sure they get warm, but cold cathodes get warm and these are not as hot as cold cathodes...
    Honestly, if these are hot, how hot is a headlight bulb, cause I've gotten blisters from headlight bulbs that I thought had cooled off after 5 minutes.
    Oh yeah, a buddy has a high-end luxeon flashlight and the body of that thing (the heatsink) will get warm enough that you surely don't want it in your pocket..... and it's NOT overdriven!

well thats no good!
    in an overclocked 4.8 ghz computer, heat is the enemy.
    Maybe I ought to take them out, I mean, they've never actually gotten hot probably because they are mounted to the shell of an aluminum lian-li case, but im sure their not making the fans job any easier.

i work for an LED electronics company and LEDs mos def produce heat! that's one of our biggest concerns is heat transfer...

I guess this may be true since everyones saying it
    i've just never really noticed heat from leds.
    I've always heard that they produced very very little heat for the light output, but I suppose when you start getting at higher light outputs you'll be putting out more heat too.

^^ yep LED's are pain the ass to work with because of this particular heat problem. Turn signals would be great for these though.

wow, these are really expensive. It's probably not even worth it...

i got led lic pl lights!

What about OEM fog light bulbs?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information