Close

Thread: 80/100 Watters

80/100 Watters

Anyone use 80/100 watt H4's in their SI? I just picked up a set of Toucan Crystal Whites that are that wattage. They claim to be the brightest out right now. But I also read in another post that higher watt bulbs can damage your electrical system. So what's the beef on the high watt bulbs?

Thanks for any advice!
    -PR

i strongly, STRONGLY reccomend u DONT use higher wattage bulbs... my friend did that in his Legend and one bulb ending up melting his harness and we had to buy and wire another... dont do it man...itz not worth it...

-Mike

well some people use the high watt bulbs have no problem and some people complain about it melting i guess you have to wait and see i used 55/60 watt tucan crystal whiteson my car they work fine.

Ok lets go back to high school physics.

Power (watts)=I^2*R

Using that equation we get that the 100 watt bulb has a resistance of 1.44 Ohms and the 55 watt bulb has a resistance of 2.62 ohms. Then use ohm's law to get the current. Factory bulbs use 4.58 amps per bulb. The 100 watt bulb uses 8.4 amps. Now if you feel safe using something that is desighned for half the load go ahead.

To clarify --

These kinds of bulbs, we know, are usually listed as consuming 55/60 W of power, but putting out the equivalent light of a 80/100 W bulb.

They're still just drawing the same current as the stock lights, but they have a higher light output. So, they're safe for the stock harness.

Is that the case with the Toucan Cristal Whites in question?

if you can hook up a basic relay that can handle a higher amperage draw you are all set on the electrical side.

now worry about the heat the extraa wattage generate, you might melt your housing

Thread Information