Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question: Cleaning a really nasty engine bay?

Ok this may be a stupid question and i'm relatively sure that this is safe to do but better safe then sorry. My engine bay is embarassingly dirty and today I took the spark plug and IM covers off and it's seriously just nasty all over.

Question is this: If I pressure wash under my hood will it foul anything or do I have to clean all the surfaces by hand?

I want a big block! thechromecoyote's Avatar
    The only thing a pressure washer should be used on is your wheels.

Just cover the electrical stuff with baggies and give the whole engine a spray down with simple green or some engine degreaser. I like the new stuff from black magic bc it really shines!

Use a brush on the dirtier parts if needed, but let the stuff sit a minute to loosen all the grease and dirt and whatnot.

Grab a hose and just spray the cleaning product off with a light spray. Its about coating, not pressure.

When its dry, touch up the plastic parts/ hoses with some armor all and you are good to go.

Well that is a really helpful post. Still, grease isnt really the main problem under my hood. There is literally dirt and gravel in all the nooks and crannies and flat surfaces and i'm just wondering if it's cool to blast that stuff out. I knew I wasn't gonna be cleaning oil and stuff off with a pressure washer, lol.

compressed air canister would work for that kind of loose stuff.

but to answer a very low pressure setting wont do much damage. Id just avoid it around electrical stuff.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Don't ever spray down a warm engine bay. You're asking for stains. Let it cool.

1 - Spray the bay with a hose (cover SRI's with a bag)
    2 - Spray down with Simple Green
    3 - Brush under hood, engine bay, etc with a soft brush
    4 - rinse with hose
    5 - repeat

Let it dry and you're all set. It'll take you 5 minutes. If you do it at every wash you'll minimize the time spent. My engine bay still looked brand new when I sold my EP after 5+ years of New England driving.
    Mel

Quote Originally Posted by oogy-boogy View Post
    Don't ever spray down a warm engine bay. You're asking for stains. Let it cool.

1 - Spray the bay with a hose (cover SRI's with a bag)
    2 - Spray down with Simple Green
    3 - Brush under hood, engine bay, etc with a soft brush
    4 - rinse with hose
    5 - repeat

Let it dry and you're all set. It'll take you 5 minutes. If you do it at every wash you'll minimize the time spent. My engine bay still looked brand new when I sold my EP after 5+ years of New England driving.

and if you do this towards the beginning of your car wash endeavor, then the bay will be all dry and sparkling by the time you finish washing the rest of your car

I think I need to do this too but I don't know what exactly to cover besides my air filter on the cai...

Very good tips,I would like to add one.

Even with just a hose and a nozzle, stay away from the condenser/radiator fins.

Thanks for the info guys! Why are you saying to stay away from the fans? Easy to short out?
    Last edited by Fallout; 07-01-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: err... fins?

i get my steam cleaner, wrap up the electronic elements as best as you can, have at it, and then dont start your car until it is entirely dry... if your in the socal area, ill be more than happy to help you, i do it all the time.

Well I took it to a carwash today. To re-clarify: My car only has ~65k miles on it and the engine bay wasn't all oiled up or anything (a little here and there on the valve cover probably from filling) but there was dirt and gravel and shit all over everything (probably because my splash guard is MIA). I used packing tape to cover the plugs that were clearly visible, making sure to cover the WHOLE harness not just where they plug together but also where the wires go into the plug itself. I put a bag over my CAI filter (I wasn't worried that it was gonna get wet but I just cleaned the filter out and I didnt want filthy ass water running over it). I let the car cool completely. I should also probably mention again that I have my spark plug and IM covers off. I pressure washed it all over (not point blank all over but close enough to get off some stubborn stuff). I only passed over the coil packs for the plugs like twice and not close range although I imagine it would be pretty hard to get enough water in there to mess something up. I was just careful since I taped over all the other electrical. I used a damp rag to wipe any junk off the valve cover from spillage, took my tape off the electrical stuff and I was done. Thing looks bling now, maybe i'll post a pic in a bit, lol. Thanks for all the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! Why are you saying to stay away from the fans? Easy to short out?
    What I meant was the actual radiator and the condenser.

I been to car washes and have observed people pointing the high pressure nozzle right up against the radiator, while trying to remove bugs and the such, but instead bending the fins in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Well I took it to a carwash today. To re-clarify: My car only has ~65k miles on it and the engine bay wasn't all oiled up or anything (a little here and there on the valve cover probably from filling) but there was dirt and gravel and shit all over everything (probably because my splash guard is MIA). I used packing tape to cover the plugs that were clearly visible, making sure to cover the WHOLE harness not just where they plug together but also where the wires go into the plug itself. I put a bag over my CAI filter (I wasn't worried that it was gonna get wet but I just cleaned the filter out and I didnt want filthy ass water running over it). I let the car cool completely. I should also probably mention again that I have my spark plug and IM covers off. I pressure washed it all over (not point blank all over but close enough to get off some stubborn stuff). I only passed over the coil packs for the plugs like twice and not close range although I imagine it would be pretty hard to get enough water in there to mess something up. I was just careful since I taped over all the other electrical. I used a damp rag to wipe any junk off the valve cover from spillage, took my tape off the electrical stuff and I was done. Thing looks bling now, maybe i'll post a pic in a bit, lol. Thanks for all the input guys!

hahha nice.... in for pics....

Quote Originally Posted by Forevapmp View Post
    hahha nice.... in for pics....
    I'm trying.. my EX lost our damn camera in the ocean on vacation so I gotta scrounge up a loaner, lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information