Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    alright, lets add a bit more money to the senario. how about a k20a build with turbo? will it work, or is the k24a1 w/a2 or a head, build with turbo, still better?

As for the transmission, 5 speed or 6 speed for which setup?
    Last edited by milob86; 07-09-2008 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milob86 View Post
    alright, lets add a bit more money to the senario. how about a k20a build with turbo? will it work, or is the k24a1 w/a2 or a head, build with turbo, still better?

As for the transmission, 5 speed or 6 speed for which setup?
    K20a turbo motor, is a no go for a turbo motor. Its a high compression motor so if you wanna blow that motor up easy then turbo it. With as expensive as it is, its a waste of money IMO to get that motor if you wanna go turbo.

how about a k20a2 build with turbo, 6 speed or 5 speed?

It seems only the people that don't know very much about k series always wanna get the k20a...it is overrated. There are far better engines out there especially for the money spent.

Where have you guys gotten your swaps?? And whats the average price range for the K24's or the K20a2?

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    if you want an a4, one of my locals is selling some.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44658

idk, im starting to just want to get a swap and build it period. thats why i asked about the k20a. it doesnt seem like a bad idea. i understand that yea, the k20a does seem abit over rated and that for the price you could do alot more and get more power. but if u want a turbo engine, you gotta do the frankenstien and i dont really dont have the time to go searching for the bits nd peices. a few more questions tho. K20a build good or bad? supercharging it with build good or bad? which engine would be a better build?(keep in mind its going to be an everyday and i dont kno whats the amount of hp before it because a not everyday car).

If you are building it then why get the k20a? It would be stripped down to the bare block and head and then all the differences between the a2 and a would be replaced with aftermarket parts...so it would be exactly the same as building a k20a2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but after you replace pistons and cams then it is the same damn engine right?

Same engine?

If it's from Japan it must be better.

all i can say....i LOVE my a2 and i love revving it out. thats why i bought it. i wanted to hear it scream and scream it does its a lot of fun. its all in what is fun to u.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    If you are building it then why get the k20a? It would be stripped down to the bare block and head and then all the differences between the a2 and a would be replaced with aftermarket parts...so it would be exactly the same as building a k20a2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but after you replace pistons and cams then it is the same damn engine right?
    u are correct...and hell, if ur gonna build it with forged internals etc. maybe look at an a3. they are CHEAP! u won't need oil squirters and all u would really need is a crank and a new oil pump. then grab an a2 head.

yea it seemed logical. nd i sed the a cuz of the high rev. wouldnt it be logical if ur just going to build to have an engine with high rpms? i mean the z1 is like that too. but like i stated before, my first idea was the build AND turbo. but to turbo, the recommended engine is the k24a1 w/a2 head right? but youve gotta go searching for those parts nd my car is a daily driver nd ive gotta drive back from work everyday. but leaving my car at a garages for 3 or 4 days wont be a problem. its once its more than that is when its a problem. my first idea was to get the a2 build it, but on the rev hard stage 2 turbo, and keep the 5 speed. im not sure of that combination would work but thats why i came to the forums. nd im still willing to go with the a2 even if u have to put the 6 speed. Since just the build sounded good, i thought to just get the a engine, nd build it since it was probably the better thing to do, again thats why i came here. Now i know that its not a good idea to get the a engine, thanks to davis j, and since it was just a build i thought about the z1, the newer rsx-s engine. since it was just a build get something with high rpms. Sound good? still want the opinions on the a2 idea i had before.

ps. shadow, thanks for the info on the cams, wat about the blueprints ? are they any good?

Hate to burst your bubble but a turbo and daily driver don't mix at all unless you are a skilled mechanic. I worked on my car every weekend relentlessly to drive it during the week. There are some people who will disagree with me here but it sounds like you are not soo much of a mechanic so I DO NOT advise turboing your car as long as it is your daily.

alright davis. what would u recommend? a2 build? or z1 build? since its going to be a daily driver, how about supercharging it? still sound bad?

good or bad good or bad good or bad

Do yourself a favor and read some prior experiences from established users. This forum lost most of information when the server died, but k20a.org, clubrsx, i-vtec.net, and even k-series.com still have some good resources.

A k20a is not worth the money. Building an a2 is not a bad idea, but if you don't even know what you wan't, then how the hell are you going to spec out a build. Piecing together parts that sound like they should go together, like "stage 2 cams, valvetrain, lsd, pistons, rods, fuel pump" will do you no good unless you research how they will act in UNITY.

If your budget is as large as your questions suggest, then search up some old builds on clubrsx. Just type in "simple build" in the search box. You'll be surprised how much information is available.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information