Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a2 internals in a3 block

did a search but did not find anything on this just wanted to know what i would need besides the ovious (a2 internals) and what needs to be machined on the a3 block thanks in advance.

Its gonna cost more time and money to put a2 internals in an a3, than it would be to just buy the damn a2, and you still wouldnt have the power of an a2

I <3 whitechapel illusionsoflife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ep3T0n3y View Post
    Its gonna cost more time and money to put a2 internals in an a3, than it would be to just buy the damn a2, and you still wouldnt have the power of an a2
    whys you think that? ive seen the internals for pretty cheap. you could get the head crank and internals for half the cost of an a2.

Quote Originally Posted by illusionsoflife View Post
    whys you think that? ive seen the internals for pretty cheap. you could get the head crank and internals for half the cost of an a2.
    I for sure wouldn't do the work. Id let someone who knows more about it than i do, do it. Nor would i put in used internals. I think thats dumb. If you want something reliable you should just buy it new and not have to worry about the integrity. How ever a used a2 out of something that was totaled from rear end damage i would buy.
    And that i would put in myself.

So FOR ME it would be cheaper to buy an a2 and put it in then buy the internals and put them in an a3.

300whp+2140lbs= fun classiccelica's Avatar
    But if you wouldn't use, used parts then why would you trust a used engine itself. You can easily find eagle pistons forged for $529, eagle H beam rods for $300, then the only expensive work which when I get my a2 I will do anyway would be to make sure the center bore of all the journals are still straigh, and I am going to have the crank balanced. So for roughly $8-900 you can have all the internals ready to be put together and get a head off crsx for at the most 900 I have seen, then bodda bing bodda boom there is your forged and built a2.

Quote Originally Posted by classiccelica View Post
    But if you wouldn't use, used parts then why would you trust a used engine itself. You can easily find eagle pistons forged for $529, eagle H beam rods for $300, then the only expensive work which when I get my a2 I will do anyway would be to make sure the center bore of all the journals are still straigh, and I am going to have the crank balanced. So for roughly $8-900 you can have all the internals ready to be put together and get a head off crsx for at the most 900 I have seen, then bodda bing bodda boom there is your forged and built a2.
    Hell if your not looking for 600whp just use the stock a2 rods with some 9:0 wiseco's. There are a few all stock bottom end a2's making 480-515 with 11:1 compression.. And as far as used goes I LOVE my $50 dolla p29's haha.

What are p29's I know that was probably a noobie question but I am still fairly new the these cars and power train. How high can you rev with the stock rods though. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
    did a search but did not find anything on this just wanted to know what i would need besides the ovious (a2 internals) and what needs to be machined on the a3 block thanks in advance.
    To actually answer your question instead of just giving my opinion as to whetehr you should or not, yes you can use A2 rods and pistons in the A3 block and they will fit just fine but you have to have an A2 crank as well. The rod journals on the A3 crank are smaller than on the A2.

I'm not sure if you can run A2 pistons on A3 rods. I don't think so but I can't remember why.

oh ok well should still be cheaper even finding the a2 crank.

Haha, the p29's are twin cam d-series pistons used to up the comp on single cam d's for more power. Not even K related, just expressing my opinion on used parts.

Oh, ok well look I learned something new today. I would rather stick to my wicked fast ep3 a3 motor that can desimate all.

Quote Originally Posted by classiccelica View Post
    Oh, ok well look I learned something new today. I would rather stick to my wicked fast ep3 a3 motor that can desimate all.
    You cant imagine 'wicked fast' until you see my 1.5 build..im shooting for 170whp lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    I'm not sure if you can run A2 pistons on A3 rods. I don't think so but I can't remember why.
    I remember Chunky posting on k20a.org saying you could drop the a2 pistons onto the a3 rods. I would like clarification on this myself... i was planning on adding them just to up the compression a little bit. Anyone know for sure if this can/cant be done?

a2 crank is the most significant a2 upgrade for an a3 bottom end.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    To actually answer your question instead of just giving my opinion as to whetehr you should or not, yes you can use A2 rods and pistons in the A3 block and they will fit just fine but you have to have an A2 crank as well. The rod journals on the A3 crank are smaller than on the A2.

also to clarify a little more... the internals will work fine... You will have to have an a2 head for the a2 pistons to work or else you will have some major damage

or a machined a3 head for the a2 pistons to clear the casting.

if you compare the combustion chamber of the two heads, the a2 head is circular and the a3 head is not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information