Close

Thread: Shift Knob

User

Shift Knob

installed a skunk 2 shift knob. is there something that i can do to connect the shift boot so it doesnt just hang?

you could buy the jdm shift boot.

or you can try to make an adapter with hose washers stuffed in the stock chrome collar to help hold up the boot.

ephatch member
    Just buy the JDM or JDM replica shift boot. There is a DIY for it on this site too.

are you on the stock shift boot? definitely get the jdm shiftboot or the adapter from the Acura dealer...

Wrap the shift lever with tape (up to a 1cm radius), then put the shift boot on.

could get the buddy club short shifter which has a lock to keep the boot in place

300whp+2140lbs= fun classiccelica's Avatar
    Ok I solved this problem for a buddy of mine and it works marvelously. Go to your local hardware store or lowes if you have one. Go to the bathroom sink shower repair area, look for these little rubber washers they are about 1/8- 1/4 inch thick, get one or the pack as they come over here that the inside diamter hole is a little smaller than the shift lever itself. Get that pack or single rubber washer, take off your shift knob, and take off that shifter boot plastic trim (with the emergency flasher button), push the rubber washer on the shift lever, (far enough down to pull the boot back enough to install the knob), now put the plastic trim with boot back on, pull the shifter boot back, install the nut and knob, feel through the boot for that rubber washer, this means pressing on the rubber ribbed portion of the boot to feel the shifter lever, while pressing on the boot feel for the washer and pull it up till the top chrome plastic part of the boot sets firmly against the base of the knob. Now it should look pretty nice and work great.

if u get the aluminum shifter bushings, just take a stock rubber one and place it on the shifter between the shiftknob and the shift boot. trust me it works

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmd View Post
    if u get the aluminum shifter bushings, just take a stock rubber one and place it on the shifter between the shiftknob and the shift boot. trust me it works
    Whoa, didn't saw this mod coming...interesting..

turn the stock rubber bushing upside down and ziptie it from the inside? saw this somewhere on the forum and it worked for me..

ephatch member
    i hate having that gap between the boot and the knob im just to lazy to change it lol

how hard is it to take the boot off???

~kevin

lol, just use a fuckin rubberband

It's extremely easy to do, there used to be a DIY, but you just put two of your fingers (index and middle) together and at the 12 o'clock at the top of your stock boot, push those fingers in and then do the "come here" motion, using the tips of your fingers to grab onto the top of the boot from the inside. Pull outward with enough force to unclick the clips that hold the boot in, and do it all the way around the boot to pull it out of all of the clips around the entire boot. It takes like 40 seconds. I wish I had pictures ahah it would make explaining much easier

Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    lol, just use a fuckin rubberband
    Haha or duck tape!! lol

Shift Knob

Anyone have a stock shift knob they're willing to part from?

Thread Information