Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Progress sway bar install w/pics

So it's been 3 weeks since I orderd my sway bar and after calling the guys at MMR.com twice I found out that it was shipped and had been signed for almost a week ago and of course who ever shipped it did not leave a note. Jerks!@#@# anyways...here are the install pics. If you have more specific questions I can get into more detail later. It was a pain the the butt, but I did it with my floor jack and some...ok...a lot of elbow grease. I didn't know I was ordering a sub frame bar either, but I put it in just the same. I had to take out the lower A-arm bolt and replace it with the one provided. Other than that it was painless.

Here's what the contents look like.

Here's the RSX Type-S sway bar before I took it off. Notice the bushings are stretched too far because I did not get new ones to accomodate the larger bar.

Here are the three sway bars (Si, RSX, Progress) together for a visual comparison.

Here are the final product shots.

The bar comes very close to the muffler, I'd say 1/4 inch!
    Last edited by Cone Killer; 11-21-2002 at 08:04 PM.

Canuck
    wow, that is some heavy duty kit, looks well engineered. I like how they give you the side clamps to keep the bar from shifting, at least they thought about that.

So how do you like it ? , does the car drive any differently ?, I would imagine oversteer is now pretty evident, which is a good trait if one knows how to control it. Any noises from the rear end ?. cool kit.

Originally posted by JSIR
    wow, that is some heavy duty kit, looks well engineered. I like how they give you the side clamps to keep the bar from shifting, at least they thought about that.

So how do you like it ? , does the car drive any differently ?, I would imagine oversteer is now pretty evident, which is a good trait if one knows how to control it. Any noises from the rear end ?. cool kit.
    I just took it for a spin and I did not hear anything...but my radio was up too loud to hear much of anything. It did feel much more stable and turn in is much more responsive because of less body roll. Overall...AWESOME!!

looks great!! BTW I pmed you back

also please explain the following : thanks --Joe :)

ssvr6
    Looks great! What did it run ya?

Steve

I'll take the RSX bar off of you if you're selling it !

PM me !

Thanks

Canuck
    Originally posted by 02blksi
    looks great!! BTW I pmed you back

also please explain the following : thanks --Joe :)
    those are the stock endlinks that get re-used. One end attaches to the chassis, the other end to the anti-sway bar. If their threads are relatively new and in good shape they come off just using a 14mm deep socket and a decent sized ratchet, spray lube helps. Once they get a bit rusty/dirty you may have to use a metric hex key inserted into the endlink (to keep it from rotating), and crack the nut off with a 14mm box-end wrench. You have to remove both rear wheels to access the end link mounting point to the chasis, I used a breaker bar with long extension and deep 14mm socket to get them off the chassis.
    Last edited by JSIR; 11-21-2002 at 10:43 PM.

I am SO glad to see they don't use that powdercoated baby blue color for their production swaybars. The pictures on the website made it look awful.

You say that the bar fits pretty close to your muffler, are you running stock or an aftermarket muffler?

Thanks for the info and nice pictures!

ephatch member

Thumbs up

looks good

Damn, so that reinforcement bar acts like a tie bar in a way, so the tie bar I have will pretty much be usless when I order my progress sway bar.

Originally posted by Quicksilver
    You say that the bar fits pretty close to your muffler, are you running stock or an aftermarket muffler?
    Looks like a stock muffler to me:D

ssvr6
    Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
    Damn, so that reinforcement bar acts like a tie bar in a way, so the tie bar I have will pretty much be usless when I order my progress sway bar.
    That's cool, I'll take it!

As for the muffler. I wonder how this will work with those that have aftermarket units?

Steve

That looks sweet! I think that will be my next purchase or a mid-pipe or both...hehe! I actually wish they painted them that freaky green color so they would match my Progress springs! ;)

Originally posted by ssvr6

As for the muffler. I wonder how this will work with those that have aftermarket units?
    I bet it would be better in most cases as most aftermarket exhausts are much smaller than the original, but I do remember reading somewhere that it might interfere with an aftermarket exhaust.

nikkotyper
    Originally posted by Cone Killer
    Looks like a stock muffler to me
    Cool. Seems like a very nice product. When you get a chance to do some extensive testing (like auto-x) scribe a sentence or two of your impressions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information