Close

m0ns00n

crunchy 1st and 2nd?

Greetz,

Sometimes shifting into 1st or 2nd it feels a little... "crunchy". Sometimes its smooth as butter (as with all the other gears) and sometimes theres just a touch of a scrapey feeling when going into 1st/2nd gear.

Any other 2k2si owners have the same thing? Anything to worry about ?

punkdork

Question

We had another thread mentioning this.. though I think it started out talking about racing or something. I've seen the same behavior you're talking about. I'm not sure what it is but my guess was either 1: synchros not being able to do their job 2: just a noisy tranny and lack of sound deadening.

Who knows what it is or if its a problem.

m0ns00n
    thanks!, I found the thread you mentioned on like the 7th or 8th page of this forum.

It was me it grinds from first to secng like a little crunch not a bad grind it almost feels like the syncros have to catch up to my shifting

its been to the dealer 2 time and they said noting was wrong with it but there is

Believe it or not, the reason that the first to second shift is more notchy than the others -- and I know exactly what you are describing -- both test cars I drove two weeks apart had precisely that feel during the demos; also my new Si (245 miles) has a touch of it when first "waking up" -- all stems from the fact that the synchomesh on the first two gears is stronger, three cones instead of the usual two on the other three gears. I experienced the same thing with an Acura GS-R I owned. Just drive it normally. As the miles build up (3k-5k-ish), you'll have made hundreds of 1st-to-2nd shifts, the synchos will be nicely polished (so to speak), and it will feel like a million bucks. In the meantime, try to ignore it (I know it's driving you nuts), and shift normally. As long as the gears aren't clashing -- which, as you know, sounds a lot different -- this is not a problem.

m0ns00n
    Thank you so much! I was hoping one of the wizards would drop us a pearl of wisdom :)

JDM TOOL

Lightbulb

I have noticed the same thing, this issue seems to be one of those universal things that happen. Oh well at least its nothing really serious....I HOPE????

SilverArrow
    I have also been expericing the same problems and I appericate all the feedback. Thanks guys!

OG EP3'r
    Mine did it a lot,but now at 4500 it really dosent do it as often.But sometimes it sounds like somethings about to break.....

i'm at 6500, im mine still does it, but only sometimes. This is my first stick shift, and i always wondered if it was supposed to be like that, hopefully it will go away completly after a while.

im at 6k also and it still does it not alot but it scares me because i cant take it to the track in fear of it doing it.is there any way to fix it

I'm at 5500 miles and mine does do it any more. I used to feel it alot at the beginning, but haven't felt it in a long time. I guess you just need to find a rythm with your car. :)

Thread Information