Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    One cool duck, with a hat Heitzke's Avatar

DIY: Window Channel Replacement

Pretty easy install, but figured I'd do a little write up while I was replacing the driver side channel.

Tools Needed:
    10 mm socket
    long(ish) phillips head screwdriver
    magnetic picker (possibly)
    smaller flat head screwdriver
    small allen wrench, no real specific size is needed

First, use the allen to put in the little hole behind the door handle to pop out the silver cover.

Sans door handle cover

Use a smaller flat head screwdriver to stick in this small slot to pry off the lower door handle cover. The plastic is pretty soft, so be careful if you're really OCD.

Sans Cover

Pretty straightforward, just back out the visible screws to pop the handle off. There are 3 screws that are recessed pretty far in there, so if you can't pull everything apart you probably missed those.

Handle off

Pull out the switch panel and detach the wiring from the back. There is a little grey tab to push in so it releases.

Free door panel

Sort of tricky, but now the panel is just being held on by those stubborn plastic clips. I just grabbed up by the tweeter and slowly worked my hand behind the panel and gave it a good yank. Don't go apeshit on it because you'll break some clips, but the panel should pop off pretty easily.

Once the panel is free (from the clips anyway) it will be hanging by the release cable and the power lock switch wiring.

Picture of the lock switch.

This is the door release. To take this off, slip the white piece from the collar on the door panel then twist the end of the release out of the grey collar and it will pop out. It's confusing to put into words, so I might make a little illustration if my directions weren't clear.

Naked door

Now pull down the white plastic, but be aware of the sticky gook stuff. It might be the stickiest shit on the entire planet.

Now clip the window switch back up so you can put the window down a little bit.

If you notice the two holes in the middle of the door panel; this is where the two bolts holding the window on the regulator will be removed from. Lower the window down about half way, and you will see the two 10mm bolts.

Now removed the two 10mm bolts, but be careful so that you don't accidentally drop the window while doing this. I couldn't take any pics of this part since I was working by my lonesome.

Once the window is sitting freely, just grab it and pull it out from the top.

I always drop a bolt in the door, so a magnetic picker comes in handy.

windowless!

Now you can reach into the bottom of the channel and just rip the pos rubber piece out of there.

Look how trashed mine was.

Here is what the channel looks like while installing.

Installing is very straightforward, you just pinch it a little and jam it into the channel.

Make sure you don't pull forward on the channel in the direction you are installing. The rubber is very stretchy and you will find it not lining up correctly once you get to the opposite corner if you pull on it.

Say you started with the back edge of the window, while working your way to the front, push back on the rubber when you are putting it into the channel.

Again, it's harder to describe this than show someone.

After this just install everything in reverse. There's really no trick to getting it all back together, just take your time.

The install is rather easy, just thought this might help someone because of how many EP's have a problem with the channel.
    Last edited by Heitzke; 07-28-2008 at 08:14 AM.

I need to do both you gonna help?

Nice diy

Quote Originally Posted by ALep3 View Post
    I need to do both you gonna help?
    Yeah for sure, we need to have another little install day whenever I get back.

Great write up.
    we need more like this.

I've been waiting for this DIY. Thanks!

nice write up....or u can jus pay 300 for the dealership to do it.....FUK THAT....good write up...i jus got my channels in today

When I bought my car new from the dealer, the driver's side channel was kinked, and was causing wind noise. I finally got it repaired at the dealer, but they gave me $hit about it, blaming my tint. I've had both sides repaired before, but now my warranty is up, and I have to replace my drivers side again.

Do you order these channels from the dealer, and how much do they normally cost? Thanks for the write up!

WHAT IS THE PART # FOR THAT? I NEED TO REPLACE MY DRIVER'S SIDE ONE AGAIN. I HAD IT REPLACED ONCE BEFORE WHEN THE CAR WAS UNDER WARRANTY. THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE THO

4873549 for the right side
    4873550 for the left side...

dealer cost like 50 a piece...try to get it online if u really want to...depends on your preference...u can bitch at the dealer if they fuk up..i sure did

Sweet, glad you guys like the DIY. Try PM'ing stoop on here for your best price on the channels. He will definitely hook it up.

I had ordered these a while ago before he came back, and think I payed somewhere around 30-35 apiece.

nice write up...you can also do it w/o taking off the door panel, just need alot of patience and lube to slide the channel in...ive done it both ways

nice write up

nice thumb ring buddie:tehehe:

good write up mang....just did my passanger a week a ago

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information