Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How many watts is good for the ep??

So i'm looking to get a system, nothing outrageous but i do want it to bump. i keep hearing for a hatchback like we have 200-250 watts rms would be good enough. However i have friends that have systems that put out like 600watts rms and its very loud, but would less then half that still be loud in the ep? how much watts rms are you running?? and and what kind of sound are you getting from it??

1.5k rms sounds about right for me. Thats what I run to the sub. Of course I also have 600rms to my componets up front and 6.5s in the back. To get a serious response you need to give us more details about what you have and want to do. Some subs crave more power some cant handle as much. also you have to take into account what type of sub box you want sealed/ported.

i was going to go with a sealed box with two 10'' alpine subs. it puts out 50-175 watts rms per sub. There is a bass package on crutch field that i was looking at. i just dont want to spend mad money.

That should be fine in the ep3.

if your just looking for a lil bump then one 10" doesn't have to be anything fancy and an amp to give it enough juice. I had a JL Audio W6V2 being pushed by a 600 watt alpine mono amp. that was plenty. Especially if you have stock speakers don't wanna drain those out. I usually do my research on crutchfield then purchase on ebay for a reputable place.

why do you buy from ebay.. do you think crutchfield is to expensive??

I have 1200rms to one kicker L7 in my hatch. It qaukes. Its alteast twice as loud as it was in the trunk of my other car..too loud. 300-350 rims should be fine wit those 2 alpines i think u will be happy wit that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    I have 1200rms to one kicker L7 in my hatch. It qaukes. Its alteast twice as loud as it was in the trunk of my other car..too loud. 300-350 rims should be fine wit those 2 alpines i think u will be happy wit that.
    damn that shit must be loud... but thank bro.. i think i'm going to go ahead and get them

Yeah, That should make you happy. It also depends on what you consider loud. Those guys that are running 1000+ watts to their subs obviously dont have the same definition of "loud" as you do. I've got a 10" type-r in my trunk running on a 600watt JBL amp and its pretty loud. My friend has two 10"s in his trunk with a 300watt amp I think and it bumps just as hard as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
    Yeah, That should make you happy. It also depends on what you consider loud. Those guys that are running 1000+ watts to their subs obviously dont have the same definition of "loud" as you do. I've got a 10" type-r in my trunk running on a 600watt JBL amp and its pretty loud. My friend has two 10"s in his trunk with a 300watt amp I think and it bumps just as hard as mine.
    yea thats what i'm trying to do.. two 10'' for a combined 300-350 watts rms with 700 peak. and its like a 350 watt amp.. thanks for the input

First off... What do you want; and how much are you wanting to spend? I had 1 12" in a ported box running on 150rms. And it was way more than enough to shake the car next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RON View Post
    First off... What do you want; and how much are you wanting to spend? I had 1 12" in a ported box running on 150rms. And it was way more than enough to shake the car next to me.
    I agree, it depends on your listening habits, I'm more than thrilled with 250W rated into the sub (built for efficiency in it's passband) 100W to each mid/bass and 25W to each tweet, 5 channels of amp, 5 speakers. It satisfies 95 percent of my desires, the other 5 I can live with being limited, you can never have enough power but you certainly reach the point of diminishing returns, only you can decide that point.

Remember you have to double your power to gain 3dB, the difference between a 500W amp and 700W amp really is not that much, it's the first watt that counts, chose drivers wisely ;)

Chad

i wasn't planning on swapping out the stock speakers due to not enough funds. i guess the most important part is i want it to be clear. will the stock speakers handle the extra power safely? the last thing i want is to blow them out.
    this is what i was looking to get http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...Ported%20Boxes

Its all right (but there is a reason they are so cheap), but for what you'll spend you could do a nicer single sub and it would probably sound better. Is $300 your budget? I would search ebay for some good used equipment. I just got a new car... I am planning on one 12" in a sealed box to exact specs. I am looking to be in the 200 - 400 rms watt range. I will more than likely only end up spending $400 - 500. But I am going to build my own box, and I already have all the wiring stuff (took all of it out of the EP). I will only need to buy a new power cable.

I have been looking at Elemental Designs (amp and sub) or JL (amp an sub). But I am really searching hard for a PPI Artseries 600A or 400A that looks new! I always wanted one! Chad you know what I mean!
    Last edited by RON; 08-06-2008 at 02:32 PM.

yea all my friends spent like 1000 on their systems. i dont really want to spend that much. how much is installation for like one sub, amp, and headunit. that could make or break me depending on price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information