Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Koni Dampers. 50mm or 55mm?

Looking into the koni sport dampers, but dont really understand what outer diameter that they are talking about and why it would be different on the same car.... also, are these dampers adjustable for our cars?

ep3s should all have 55mm strut housings. 01-02 regular civics came with 50mm strut housings. koni uses the same insert for regular civics and si. get the 55mm option. they are rebound adjustible

I strongly recommend measuring them before buying.

Banned
    If you have a early 02, you may have the 50mm housings....

basicly you need to measure yours...what i did is i got a second set of front shocks before ordering, measured, and bought the correct konis, then modified and installed...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
    If you have a early 02, you may have the 50mm housings....
    didnt know it happened with the ep3 too

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by metalviper View Post
    didnt know it happened with the ep3 too
    from what I have read, showa was having issues with the tooling on the 55mm dampers early on.

i have an 04, so its prob 55, right? at what point do i measure the damper?

also, mustclime, are yours 50 or 55? is there any difference in performance or is one better than the other? also, if i have 55 now, can I get stock 50 dampers for 50mm konis?

what stock dampers work on our cars?

obviously EP, does EM2 dampers work, RSX?

the part above the perch, the middle of the shock. 01-02 regular civic shocks wil work with 50mm konis but the mounting holes have to be drilled out and made wider. 03-05 civic shocks bolt right up and are 55mm. rsx shocks will bolt right up, are 55m but have a bigger tie rod end you would need to use. 05-06 have a spring wound invertedly (if thats a word) but wont matter if gutting them for konis

300whp+2140lbs= fun classiccelica's Avatar
    does koni have adjustable strut inserts? i have skunk2 procoil s coilovers and I want the adjustability of the koni's.

Quote Originally Posted by classiccelica View Post
    does koni have adjustable strut inserts? i have skunk2 procoil s coilovers and I want the adjustability of the koni's.
    i believe the koni sport yellow dampers are inserts, and yes, are adjustable

once a koni damper is install into the stock damper housing, can it be removed and put into another stock housing? I have because I might be able to get koni front for the rsx, but already in the rsx damper, could i remove it and put it in my stock shock?

ya but id have a shop take it out if you want the old damper. if not then just hammer it out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tallblondkid View Post
    i have an 04, so its prob 55, right? at what point do i measure the damper?

also, mustclime, are yours 50 or 55? is there any difference in performance or is one better than the other? also, if i have 55 now, can I get stock 50 dampers for 50mm konis?

what stock dampers work on our cars?

obviously EP, does EM2 dampers work, RSX?
    As far as I know all 03-05's are 55mm.....but with all the parting out and 2nd and 3rd owner cars out there, who knows....

as far as damping, I was told by Phill at True Choice that the rsx rears are a much more agressive tune than the rears for the ep3. All the 55mm cartages are tuned the same according to him....I had my fronts retund by them ($110 a shock) to run 500lb springs.....

Quote Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
    As far as I know all 03-05's are 55mm.....but with all the parting out and 2nd and 3rd owner cars out there, who knows....

as far as damping, I was told by Phill at True Choice that the rsx rears are a much more agressive tune than the rears for the ep3. All the 55mm cartages are tuned the same according to him....I had my fronts retund by them ($110 a shock) to run 500lb springs.....
    i wouldnt need them to be retuned for 400-450 fronts would I? and the back are fine with a 600-650... also, i wonder how much better the rsx rears are.. i can get a pair of civic rears for pretty cheap and wondering if its worth it for the rsx pair... it is going to be mostly street driven, DD, with occasional (maybe 10 per year) auto-x and track days.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    basicly you need to measure yours...what i did is i got a second set of front shocks before ordering, measured, and bought the correct konis, then modified and installed...
    were my stock ones 50 or 55? I figure my car is an early 02 by all of the little gremlins that I've had to eradicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information