Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suspension Opinion???

Shopping for new struts i find out that all four OEM strut assemblies (including the useless springs and neccessary upper mounts) will cost about $1100. I really WANT the Tein Flex setup... but there seems to be so many other decent options for a little less $$$. My choices for full suspension replacement (with ride height adjustment)...

*KSport- (includes front upper pillow ball mounts as best i can tell... yay)
    *Progress- (lower spring perch adjusts ride height... nay)
    *Skunk2- (havent heard/read too much about em to have an opinion)

Most of these setups look to cost as much as the OEM goods... with obvious advantages over OEM. If you have any of these products please let me know how you rate them. If you have something NOT listed... let me know what you have, and if you were really impressed with it, let me know. Thanks!

ephatch member
    dude phill got some nice teins on for like $900 in classified, best deal around. Other then that you have more options. Tokico D-spec struts with lowering springs or Ground control for adjustment. you got buddy clubs, progress, mugen ss.

R.I.P VBP EP 2/13/09
    Im debating between the D-specs and GC set-up or the koni/GC set-up and the megan coilovers, but yea you could do what the guy before me said. You could match up the D-specs with progress springs... imo progress gives the EP a nice drop!

Thanks,
    Matt

New Struts and Springs

Be sure to do your research before you buy. I would suggest that you run a search on Mustclime and Zzyzx. They have posted a lot of good advice. If you lower your car be sure to also install an Alignment Kit and research for a performance alignment.

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spydur View Post
    Be sure to do your research before you buy. I would suggest that you run a search on Mustclime and Zzyzx. They have posted a lot of good advice. If you lower your car be sure to also install an Alignment Kit and research for a performance alignment.

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!
    mustclime and zzyzx get into very technical details that may overwhelm a first-time buyer.

their suggestions are excellent for oncoming competitive drivers that are learning.

I'm heading towards a set of KSport coilovers, very decent bang for the buck. But I haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess i should have made it known im already dropped on Tein S-Tech springs and stock struts. I currently have Hotchkis swaybars (the rear installed only at this time) with a Progress rear tie bar, and the OEM front swaybar. Im really pleased how the EP handles with the current setup... in particular the spring rate of the Tein springs (anyone know these specifically?). With the rear bar on the softest setting, the car rotates really well... and is very tossable/controllable on dry pavement with a lot of lateral grip. The wet is another story tho...

Im not lookin to go with another aftermarket spring/OEM style strut combo. Mugen is just too rich for my blood nowadays. Ive got two K engine projects im collecting parts for and i need to spend $$$ wisely so i can meet my planned time frames for those. Thats the main reason i am tempted NOT to buy the Tein Flex, and opt for a full coilover set that is comparative in function and quality.

What i have read on the KSport goods is very promising. A lot of guys in the s2k community sing KSport praises... but the orange is hideous. lol Has anyone installed the Skunk2 pro set and had good/bad results with it? I love the look of the Progress stuff... but from what i found they only make a set for the RSX-S?? Corsport shows a set for the EP, and says check for availability... but the Progress webbie seems to only show a set for the RSX-S. Isnt the steering arm on the front struts different between the two chassis??

Driving/suspension discussion doesnt scare me in the least... ive wheeled my fair share of track time (not autoX tho) and helped build a few race cars in my lifetime. So please add links or anything you might think may help my decision with my purchase. Thanx again!

Quote Originally Posted by jjermzz View Post
    dude phill got some nice teins on for like $900 in classified, best deal around. Other then that you have more options.
    Agreed, that IS a killer deal. Ive just never been the type of guy to like to buy parts second hand. Sometimes you have no choice tho (like an engine swap for example). Which of them would you get if you had $1500 to spend? Somethin used for $900... or something new for $1100? The Mugen setup doesnt have adjustable ride height right (trying to remember)? LMK

Banned
    ok read this....

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=564642

and this

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=565676

and this

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=573805

and this

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=569763

Congrats, you are now a suspension god..........:tehehe:

Out of your top choices, the progress is the best imo...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SiR R8TD View Post
    I'm heading towards a set of KSport coilovers, very decent bang for the buck. But I haven't heard anything bad about them yet.
    Just walk away, the spring rates are dumb.....search them on crsx, the couple guys that have picked them up have found out how messed up it is to have softer springs in the rear.......

If you have built race cars, have "seat time"and are technically minded make sure you study and understand Mustclime's postings listed above - especially the second one. Then consider custom Ground Control coil overs. You will be able to pick the spring rates for the front and back units. The springs are made by Eibach and are straight (constant rating) and not progressive. These GC units allow you to use your struts (just be sure that the struts and the spring rates are compatible).

FWIW, I learned from Musty that a starting point for a DD-Auto-X might be 350 -400 lbs. Front and 650 - 700 lbs. Rear. Take some time and go through the spring rate calculations yourself, its a good learning experience!

S P Y D U R
    SAIL-ON!
    Last edited by spydur; 08-14-2008 at 07:58 PM.

>reading<

Great info...

广州本田
    Have you looked at the buddyclubs and the KWs? Good coilovers with the same price as the teins if not lower.

Aight... did a lot more reading and research. Now i have even more questions. haha

Quote Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
    Congrats, you are now a suspension god..........:tehehe: Out of your top choices, the progress is the best imo...
    Not really, there are still a lot of things not discussed. Bump steer, ackerman, active v/s static camber and caster... and the almighty grail of roll center and how suspension adjustment or modification can change it. But i think you were being silly with your statement... so i digress. As far as the Progress coilovers go... cant you swap GroundControl springs of varying rates on them? If so... wouldnt that be feasible to do the same to the KSport set? I havent found where i can order the KSport coilovers with different spring rates as someone earlier mentioned....

I would like to say Scott that your choice of suspension does make the most sense for my EP. I can get OEM style struts for years to come. The Ground Control sleeve kit (which includes all four sleeves and springs i assume??) will likely be available for a long time from now (if needing to be replaced for some odd reason) as well. The option to buy varying spring rates IS right up my alley... but i found so little information as to the modification neccessary to the OEM strut for the coilovers (pics in particular) AND i still have to buy the upper strut mounts (F/R) separate. I need new ones. SO it looks like im close to the cost of the Tein kit again. Sell me on the idea man... please.

Also... i have seen BC coilovers... meh in my opinion. Same with the Megans. They LOOK nice as hell... but both cars that they were installed in handled like ASS compared to the previous setup. (one in a Subie, the other in an s2k) Someone please kick up the testimonials if there are any... im still open for ideas... ive gotta decide soon.

NASA is holding an autoX event here the 31st. A close friend of mine is pushing me to run it. I know absolutely nothing of autoX, other than i need a helmet (duh) and i dont NEED a 5 point harness. F/R brakes are fresh, tires are good to go... and im itchin to see what the EP will do between some cones... and not rumble strips. Any other suggestions?

Problem with the inexpensive coilovers isn't really in their spring rates, as most use 2.5 ID springs so they are easily replaced... the problem with setups like Ksport and the like stems directly from the dampers they choose to use. Which isn't something thats easily changed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information