Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

icarus.na's CTR RETROjector HID Projekt.

part iii on page 2!
    mini-update iii.v on page 8

thought i would share my retrofit project with everyone here on ephatch. i love this forum and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to document my arduous journey to put TSX projectors and OEM HID Lights into my UKDM 04-05 CTR Halogen Projector Headlights.

NO GLARE FTMFW!

so it begins...

i was lucky enough to swoop up on some used CTR headlights for a great price and in really good condition. pretty much a steal...

unfortunately the halogen projector lenses that are in my CTR headlights don't produce the cutoff i want. i didn't want to have any glare because it's dangerous for other drivers on the road (and in my personal opinion HELLA rude). so i did some homework and then hit up ebay...

...and before you know it, the UPS man delivered this...DON'T YOU LOVE THE UPS GUY?!

beautiful aren't they?

and a back look...MmMMmMM OEM d2s glory...

i purchased this perfect (and i mean flawless) set of TSX projectors off ebay for a pretty fair price. the cost of shipping was a bitch though...

the reasons why i chose TSX projectors were because they're regarded as having one of the best cutoffs of any projector lenses and the simplicity of just swapping out lenses.

these bad boys are going to be color modded down the road...
    Last edited by icarus.na; 09-08-2008 at 09:54 PM.

part ii

up next i had to think about ballasts, ignitors, etc. and everything else that goes with it. again i did some homework...scoured the internet for the best deal...

...and craigslist led me to these.

OEM honda/acura ballasts. as you can see they're a lil' beat up...there were even minor spots of oxidation. i cleaned them off real good and some dirt/blemishes were just impossible to get out.

so i had to go put in some work...these things weren't going to clean themselves.

i took some sandpaper to them and got out all the lil' rust spots and blemishes that rubbing alcohol and elbow grease couldn't get out. i'll also wanted to create a good surface for some 3M mounting tape and 3M weatherstrip/gasket adhesive to adhere to. didn't want to cut any corners here i cleaned them off again and wasted half a can of this...

i didn't want any dust to eff with the electrical connections and it was just the extra step i wanted to take to get this thing clean as possible.

i eventually ended up with this...

and a close up of the ballast...

more to come later...this is a work in progress!
    Last edited by icarus.na; 08-13-2008 at 10:34 PM.

there a Beauty....

golan wants my weena thisisagame24's Avatar
    why dont you just color mod them when you intall them in to the headlights instead of reopening them to do it? its real simple to do.....or am i just not reading you right haha?

Quote Originally Posted by thisisagame24 View Post
    why dont you just color mod them when you intall them in to the headlights instead of reopening them to do it? its real simple to do.....or am i just not reading you right haha?
    lol! you're not reading me right. this is a work in progress...

i will most definately color mod them when the TSX projectors are outside of my headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by KrypTOniTE View Post
    there a Beauty....
    thank you! thank you! have you ever seen j00stin's (sp?) avatar? yours and his look somewhat similar, but maybe i'm smokin'...
    Last edited by icarus.na; 08-13-2008 at 10:46 PM.

so i still need to pair my headlights up to some d2s bulbs.

does anyone have any suggestions?

i'm lookin' at the philips 4300K and 6000K, but am willing to hear other thoughts.
    Last edited by icarus.na; 08-14-2008 at 08:00 PM.

those are the only two i would use. if you go higher than 6000k you will see a significant drop in light being put on the road. i personally am using 5800k and love them. its a nice mix between the light out put of the 4300k and th color of the 6000k

those are the only two i would use. if you go higher than 6000k you will see a significant drop in light being put on the road. i personally am using 5800k and love them. its a nice mix between the light out put of the 4300k and th color of the 6000k
    you got a link on the bulbs you use and maybe a link on where to source them?

thanks.

i believe i found them on ebay.....ill go check for ya and see if i can find anything

i do have an extra set of 4300k bulbs too

i believe i found them on ebay.....ill go check for ya and see if i can find anything

i do have an extra set of 4300k bulbs too
    are you inferring that you're selling them?
    i kinda want to buy new bulbs, so i have the peace of mind and the fact that i won't have to replace them in the near future.
    but if the price is right and they're in great condition i'd consider.

thanks for those ebay links too.
    Last edited by icarus.na; 08-14-2008 at 08:01 PM.

pm coming your way

thanks mike! keepin' my fingers crossed that you can pull some strings...

i obviously need some bulbs to complete this retro.
    Last edited by icarus.na; 08-14-2008 at 08:01 PM.

i have the same headlights (well i dont know if they are jdm or ukdm) and my cut off it terrible i want to do something like this as well but have no knowledge about this what so ever. would those tsx projectors match up without modification ? and what do u mean by color mod i always wanted the purple/pink hid's. i have blue at the moment.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information