Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4.7fd is more for the higher reving A2, the K24A2 torque monster loves to pull the lower gearing of the 4.3fd. You would be very dissapointed with the 4.7 on the street.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

seriously what is it whatisthis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madlorglk View Post
    So whats the verdict? 4.3 or 4.7

4.3 would save gas but how will it affect performance?
    so with your 4.7, for example, 60 mph in 5th gear iirc should put you in the 2950-3000 rpm range. for a rough estimate, since i don't have the chart i made and don't feel like doing the math right now, you can assume that the tsx 6th and the 4.3 fd will each bring your rpm down, at the same 60 mph, 300rpm. combined they will put you at a 60 mph crusing rpm of about 2400. the tsx 6th obviously only affects the previously non existent 2nd overdrive spot, where the fd affects all gears. swapping to the 4.3 will make it take longer to wind it all the way out to redline, it'll feel a little slower without an increase in torque on the part of you engine. for a daily driven car that sees alot of highway time, i'd go with both. if it's short track times (like autox) you're more worried about the leave the 4.7 fd in and just go with the 6th gear mod.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    4.7fd is more for the higher reving A2, the K24A2 torque monster loves to pull the lower gearing of the 4.3fd. You would be very dissapointed with the 4.7 on the street.
    so k24a2 def has enough tq to pull the ep even at lower rpms

Quote Originally Posted by whatisthis View Post
    so with your 4.7, for example, 60 mph in 5th gear iirc should put you in the 2950-3000 rpm range. for a rough estimate, since i don't have the chart i made and don't feel like doing the math right now, you can assume that the tsx 6th and the 4.3 fd will each bring your rpm down, at the same 60 mph, 300rpm. combined they will put you at a 60 mph crusing rpm of about 2400. the tsx 6th obviously only affects the previously non existent 2nd overdrive spot, where the fd affects all gears. swapping to the 4.3 will make it take longer to wind it all the way out to redline, it'll feel a little slower without an increase in torque on the part of you engine. for a daily driven car that sees alot of highway time, i'd go with both. if it's short track times (like autox) you're more worried about the leave the 4.7 fd in and just go with the 6th gear mod.
    at the moment my car is not my daily and i doubt it will really ever see alot of highway time
    i have another car as my daily driver
    so right now shes a garage queen while shes being built
    but once done I would like to be albe to drive her to hit the canyons when possible and although I have not been to auto-x that is probably one of the events that I would most likely participate in the future but just for fun and nothing serious

On my 08 cbr 600rr I had the shop change the gear ratio
    so that now my rpms are higher at lower speeds making me feel more power and pull at the lower and middle end at the sacrifice of having a lower top speed (which you dont really get to use as much anyways) (before I would be able to hit lets say 160mph but now top speed is only 150 mph-guestimate-speedo is off after gear change & I have not corrected it)
    but I think my bike's rev limits at 13k or 15k its been awhile so I dont remember

So is this the same concept as going with a 4.7 on my ep3 which will allow me to be able to feel more lower and mid range power and tq at the sacrifice of loosing top speed

im not sure if Im using the terms power and tq incorrectly
    Last edited by MadLorEP3; 04-20-2010 at 02:51 AM.

So is this the same concept as going with a 4.7 on my ep3 which will allow me to be able to feel more lower and mid range power and tq at the sacrifice of loosing top speed

im not sure if Im using the terms power and tq incorrectly
    you pretty much nailed it there.

Quote Originally Posted by whatisthis View Post
    you pretty much nailed it there.
    haha
    well what do you know
    i might actually be learning something here...LOL

thanks

but is Talon saying that I should be rollin with the 4.3 instead my bike UNLIKE my ke24a2 is not high reving enough?

It seems that if I prefer lower and mid range power and tq rather than top speed 4.7 is the way to go but is Doug saying that I would hate this on the streets because since my new motor is gonna be torquey Im gonna feel like the engine is working hard all the time, like its always ready for a street race, si or no???

4.3 seems then to be more for comfort, cruising, just chillin on the streets
    4.7 is more aggressive, ready to rock n roll

yay or nay???
    Last edited by MadLorEP3; 04-20-2010 at 12:36 PM.

yay or nay???
    JUst stick with the stock FD, no changes/cost needed and the 4.3 doesn't seem to be something suited for your needs.
    How to properly use Apostrophes
    The rev limiter is not meant to be used as a shift light

it seems like you have the basic premise down pretty well, so at that point it's up to you to make the informed decision.

got it thanks

sometimes its better not to hae options, less to think about LOL

Hasbro
    Good thread, will definitely subscribe to this since this will be my one of my upcoming projects. What did u end up getting?

Whoah, blast from the past. Your'e using your search button. I'm still stock. My final will be the first five with close ratio and as tall a sixth as possible. What ever that will be, don't really know which tranny - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Over 500 lbs. lighter (2,450 loaded), K24 frank built torquey, 4.9 final due to lower diameter tires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information