Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Final Drive Gear Changeable?

Searched, no luck.

I know very little about trannies. Can the 4.764 final be swapped for the 4.389?

Not sure why this hasn't been stickied:
    Last edited by Hasbro; 12-28-2008 at 01:37 PM.

check in the engine section. i am pretty sure there is a sticky.

they are interchangeable. buy the final drive and i am pretty sure buy the proper countershaft and you will be good.
    EPHATCH.COM 4 LYFE!! OFF THA CHAIN KREW #1

udontknowjack's mom was here....twice!

UPDATED SITE INFO!

Want to become a Site Sponsor? Click Here!

PM for HELP!!

Thanks.
    Ok, tell me if this makes sense:
    This is for both fuel efficiency and performance. Reflash the basically stock motor and add the 4.389 final drive. If my math is correct these two mods will up the 2nd gear from 55 to 68+ mph, which is pretty close to 72 for the Type R at 72 mph. The Hondata Reflash will give a nice addition to low end torque and it eliminates the torque drop at 2300 rpm when the second intake valves come in which would help when low rpm shifting for fe. Plus the final gear drops the rpm 8% across the board for more fe. Plus dropping 400- 450 lbs will help all of the above(the extra hp and weight loss will put the lbs per hp close to the UKDM's CTR ratio). Will it still launch ok in 1st? This car is for dd, trackdays and some autoxing to test things out. That's not all the mods but this thread is about the tranny.
    What dost thou think?
    Last edited by Hasbro; 08-15-2008 at 12:12 AM.

Like Tnhatch said yes they are swappable, but it isn't really a performance gain. I had the taller FD in my car and it is nice cruising down the highway, but I recently switched back to the stock FD and the performance gain is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    Like Tnhatch said yes they are swappable, but it isn't really a performance gain. I had the taller FD in my car and it is nice cruising down the highway, but I recently switched back to the stock FD and the performance gain is significant.
    Are we talking apples and oranges here? You have a monster pushing 300 hp! Sure sounds like fun.
    "This is for both fuel efficiency and performance."

Oh, and I'm an old bastard. :)
    Last edited by Hasbro; 08-15-2008 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
    Are we talking apples and oranges here? You have a monster pushing 300 hp! Sure sounds like fun.
    "This is for both fuel efficiency and performance."

Oh, and I'm an old bastard. :)
    Us old bastards gotta stick together.

I understand what you are saying, and you will get the fuel efficiency gain you are looking for but it will be a performance loss not gain. The point in my comparison is that I felt the performance hit even with my motor. With a near stock motor you will feel it even more.

It may be cheaper for you to source a base RSX tranny and add the TSX 6th gear.

I have the 4.3 FD and it has more than enough grunt. I had tried a 4.8fd in a similarly set up RSX and for a DD the 4.8 actually sux bigtime. Way too much shifting needed IMHO, and the lower gears just spin all the time when you stomp on her.

Hell, I want to go down to a 4.0fd when I install the K24Z.

And most assuredly us old farts have to stick together.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Of course when I am talking performance gain keep in mind that my car is a track bitch. What I mean when I'm talking performance gain is that I saw higher speeds on the straights at Road Atlanta with the 4.7 final drive than I saw with the 4.3.

If my car was still a mostly street car I would go with the 4.3 and maybe the TSX 6th gear on top of that for highway cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    I have the 4.3 FD and it has more than enough grunt. I had tried a 4.8fd in a similarly set up RSX and for a DD the 4.8 actually sux bigtime. Way too much shifting needed IMHO, and the lower gears just spin all the time when you stomp on her.

Well, that sounds encouraging. The RSX 2nd gear is probably too high but I like the sound of a 4.3 and maybe the sixth gear if it could handle it. Use the sixth as an overdrive and fifth as the final track gear. 10lbs torque and 20 hp more over stock ought to do it...?

talon, I've also been trying to find info on the JDM CTR suspension geometry and I found your Weekend thread, which was helpful. I hadn't found much but was looking on the wrong board. Hopefully there's more here. I really want to increase the track an inch and get the front/rear roll centers balanced, etc. I will, however, need to drop it more than the stock R, I think, due to the minus 400 or so pounds. I have about 275 out and it's starting to look like a rally car! The 17% weight loss will also make the springs 17% "stiffer".

Speaking of old farts, I saw a pic somewhere of a white haired guy with a 400 hp EP on a trailer recently. Not sure if it was on this board.

was he a TN guy?
    EPHATCH.COM 4 LYFE!! OFF THA CHAIN KREW #1

udontknowjack's mom was here....twice!

UPDATED SITE INFO!

Want to become a Site Sponsor? Click Here!

PM for HELP!!

final drive is changable

Alright guys bare with me here.

So I am gonna be dropping in my stock k24a2 into the 04 ep.
    I have been considering getting the tsx 6th, along with a wavetrac LSD
    stg II clutch and 11.5 flywheels, aem v2/dcrh type-s/ type-s midpipe/Exhaust (Im looking at the hytech twinloop)
    In the future I will either supercharge or NA but for now its just stock k24a2 with bolt ons.
    I dont do drag or track, but auto-x is a possiblity in the future.

Can someone please tell me whether to go with a 4.3 or a 4.7 FD with my setup above?

I dont completely understand how a FD works but it seems like the lower the number of the FD means that you will be able to reach higher speeds at a lower rpm and thus your engine will not be working as hard which is where the gas savings come in. (grammar nazi's attack)
    Can you explain how performance is negatively affected by a 4.3 FD if it is on a stock motor like mine?

So should i go with the tsx 6th with a 4.3FD?
    OR
    tsx 6th with 4.7FD?

If my car was still a mostly street car I would go with the 4.3 and maybe the TSX 6th gear on top of that for highway cruising.
    Last edited by MadLorEP3; 04-18-2010 at 01:09 AM.

If you are going to add the TSX 6th gear then I would stay with the 4.7 final drive. If in the future you add some sort of forced induction (supercharge) the I would consider swapping to the 4.3 final drive but if you stay n/a the I wouldn't.

The K24's have the torque required to operate the 4.3fd in a far more usefull manner.

The K24 will offer better fuel economy with the TSX6th and a 4.3fd.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

If you are going to add the TSX 6th gear then I would stay with the 4.7 final drive. If in the future you add some sort of forced induction (supercharge) the I would consider swapping to the 4.3 final drive but if you stay n/a the I wouldn't.
    The K24's have the torque required to operate the 4.3fd in a far more usefull manner.

The K24 will offer better fuel economy with the TSX6th and a 4.3fd.
    So whats the verdict? 4.3 or 4.7

4.3 would save gas but how will it affect performance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information