Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ABS delete?

ABS delete?

I HATE having ABS on my car! I know how to drive and know enough to not slam on the brakes in an emergency. I think it is the dumbest thing to have on a car. For people like me, it makes it harder to stop because pumping the breaks dont slow ya down. Instead were forced to drive like every other tool on the road and slam on the brakes when some jerkoff runs a light.(this happened to me tonight, and I came within an inch of hitting this guy cause I was pumping the breaks) Is there a way to get rid of the ABS? I had to replace an axle on my EJ once(not equiped with ABS) but the axle that I bought had the ABS teeth on the end, the guy in the parts store just snapped it off and it worked fine. Can I do this with the EP axles w/o causing any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stcivicsipilot View Post
    I HATE having ABS on my car! I know how to drive and know enough to not slam on the brakes in an emergency. I think it is the dumbest thing to have on a car. For people like me, it makes it harder to stop because pumping the breaks dont slow ya down. Instead were forced to drive like every other tool on the road and slam on the brakes when some jerkoff runs a light.(this happened to me tonight, and I came within an inch of hitting this guy cause I was pumping the breaks) Is there a way to get rid of the ABS? I had to replace an axle on my EJ once(not equiped with ABS) but the axle that I bought had the ABS teeth on the end, the guy in the parts store just snapped it off and it worked fine. Can I do this with the EP axles w/o causing any problems?
    I think abs delete is illegal!?! Someone chime in on this.

why is it illegal? some cars did not come stock with ABS.
    EPHATCH.COM 4 LYFE!! OFF THA CHAIN KREW #1

udontknowjack's mom was here....twice!

UPDATED SITE INFO!

Want to become a Site Sponsor? Click Here!

PM for HELP!!

The odds of you being able to stop quicker in a car without abs compared to one equipped is very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by !@#$% View Post
    The odds of you being able to stop quicker in a car without abs compared to one equipped is very slim.
    ABS increases your braking distance, so its actually very likely.
    Of course this is assuming a comparison in a straight line braking test where the non abs car does not pump the brakes.
    Locked up brakes stop the car quicker than brakes that turn themselves off and on very rapidly..
    In wet or snow this is a different story.

Anyway, to the OP, I just removed the ABS fuse and it doesnt pump for me anymore. Im not sure what else this may be affecting though so if you do it its not because I told you to, its because you thought of it yourself and then went to an empty street or parking lot to make sure everything was still fine on your car without the fuse, regaurdless of my results.

Although I havent noticed any issues.

3. Adequate braking is easy to achieve on dry roads with or without antilock brakes. Even if wheels lock, the coefficient of friction between tires and road surface still is relatively high, so a vehicle stops relatively quickly. It is even possible on some surfaces to stop sooner without antilocks than with them, although such instances are rare. They occur, for example, when loosely packed snow or gravel creates a "dam" effect in front of locked wheels, shortening the stopping distance more than antilocks could.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/antilock.html

Anyway, to the OP, I just removed the ABS fuse and it doesnt pump for me anymore. Im not sure what else this may be affecting though so if you do it its not because I told you to, its because you thought of it yourself and then went to an empty street or parking lot to make sure everything was still fine on your car without the fuse, regaurdless of my results.

Although I havent noticed any issues.[/QUOTE]

Im gonna try that right now....but not cause you told me to!

300whp+2140lbs= fun classiccelica's Avatar
    ABS does not increase your stoping distance nor does it make you stop sooner, all abs does is eliminate the brakes from locking thusly giving you more control to steer the car out of the way.

And one week from now, we're gonna get the post, "I wrecked my car from not having ABS..." lol, hopefully I'm kidding/wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by classiccelica View Post
    ABS does not increase your stoping distance nor does it make you stop sooner, all abs does is eliminate the brakes from locking thusly giving you more control to steer the car out of the way.
    Im not trying to decrease my stopping distance, what im trying to do is get the car to stop the way I was tought to stop a car. ABS was invented cause so many people panic and slam on the breaks when confronted with trouble. ie hydroplaning, sliding on slippery surfaces, having to stop quickly for w/e reasons etc... I know not to panic and to not slam on them,but to pump them no matter what. in a car equiped with ABS if you pump the breaks, you dont slow down. as I wittnessed last night, and once in my granmothers Sienna. (I rearended some girl in that, because it didnt slow down while pumping.)

Quote Originally Posted by skep18 View Post
    And one week from now, we're gonna get the post, "I wrecked my car from not having ABS..." lol, hopefully I'm kidding/wrong though.
    Damn, thanks. I hope your wrong too! Why would you even wish that on my poor EP? wish all the bad luck you want on me, but leave my car out of it!

Just pull the fuse for the ABS, but there have been tests done with very skilled drivers trying to brake the same car with and without ABS. Without ABS might feel better (I hate the brake shudder thing too) but every one of the tests with the ABS active had shorter stopping distances.

Why are you yourself pumping the brakes with your ABS? That doesn't make any sense? The ABS is pumping it for you...so you shouldn't have to pump...
    The Original Noob with Boobs

Quote Originally Posted by Dorachagi View Post
    Just pull the fuse for the ABS, but there have been tests done with very skilled drivers trying to brake the same car with and without ABS. Without ABS might feel better (I hate the brake shudder thing too) but every one of the tests with the ABS active had shorter stopping distances.
    that may be so, but tests have also shown that 2 people slamming on the brakes, one with ABS and one without, the non ABS car will have a shorter braking distance. The sliding tire builds up heat and gets more grip than the abs equipped car and it stops sooner. The difference occurs when someone needs to turn when sliding or something like that.

Unless EPHatch is full of Formula 1 drivers, you guys that think ABS sucks or you can stop shorter without modern ABS are all crazy I think.

There's plenty of testing evidence out there on the web that discuss how difficult it is to coax non-ABS equipped cars into braking effectively against ABS equipped cars, including this article:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0_braking.html

show me testing that proves an ABS equipped car stops sooner than a non abs car and I will tip my hat to you
    Car companys testing and companys payed by car companys to prove this regaurdless of the truth dont count.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information